Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

I've got a new site too!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
http://sinistergfx.com/

Lots of people have probably seen it already. But, now it's fully functioning (as of 2 weeks ago). I figured I might as well give it a proper pimping.

Rick can't say "use css!", haha.

I've been thinking about using some sort of CMS like WordPress or Drupal to make updating just a bit more automated. Anybody have any recommendation/tips on that front? In the past I would have coded my own, but these days I don't want to devote the time.

Replies

• Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    I use wordpress, it's ace
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    NO ONE FUCKING CARES

will wants me to edit this, he was standing behind me whne i put it, so it was more of a joke.. but he's correct and it may turn his thread into a crazy flame war or some other junks. so don't you flame here! its all cool i love sini, he's my very on ethnicaly blended sidekick
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh that MoJOKEy, he's a funny one when hes all lit up like a christmas tree (drunk on a monday morning, wow?)... serriously what the hell is he saying?

About the site:
    - The header seems like overkill, I wouldn't call the entire site your portfolio when its more of an art blog. I would make an effort to seperate out your portfolio from the blog-ish part by giving it its own address like http://sinistergfx.com/portfolio, that way you can hand out the link to employers without having them see "http://sinistergfx.com/index.php?func=folio" as a link or be deluged with your personal blog/junk.

- I look at the portfolio section and I don't see that much art, sure what is there looks good but I would expect to see "more". I guess that will come later? Maybe you shouldn't wipe out the old work but just move it to another page. It might be good to show progression, but not call it part of your portfolio.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vig:

Yeah, I've had second thoughts about the header image, too. I wanted "sinistergfx" to be strongly associated with my real name for recognition. I'll give it some more thought.

I'm not going to seperate out the portfolio. If I am trying to get a job; I'll just pull a switcheroo and have the portfolio be the main page that loads from sinistergfx.com. So, it's that way currently because I'm not looking for a job.

Portfolio section? Yep, totally barren. I've removed a lot of stuff that I felt was too old or wasn't up to a certain quality standard. Also, I can't show any of the stuff I'm currently working for work. It will grow. ...eventually

I would disagree with putting the stuff I removed into a different section. ONLY present what you would like yourself to be judged by. No matter if it's a part of your "official" portfolio or not; it's still accessable and can be to your detriment.

Again, I'm employed just fine, so I'm not trying to get anyone's attention with my portfolio right now. I just wanted to replace my old site that I was never too fond of (it was supposed to temporary anyways) and didn't function entirely as I wanted it to. So, now I've got a nice pretty new place that's easy to update when I've got stuff I want to add.

EDIT:

Rick: I think I'll try and test out WordPress sometime this week and see if I like it. Mainly, I want to be able to plug it into my site without having to redesign around it. I want everything to stay pretty much the same design and have the same functionality, but have a nice easy backend for it all.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    man all you mythic dudes are making new sites.... hmmmmmm i smell EA.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha. We just like making websites.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeha this has nothing to do with ea,, my old site just got vanished a while back, and i felt it was time to get another up and going,, EA has been aweome so far, yesterday they were rolling around with a huge cart of money and free games and we just all grabbed handfulls! and snack cakes
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    i know it was just a joke, i have heard nothing but good things from the ea mythic deal, i just love poking fun.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    YOU HUSH

oh while you are hushing, link me to a high rez version of your avatar
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    What he means to say is: he wants it in Spanktro-Vision.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Send me some of those cakes bitch.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Nice site sins, good stuff pretty much, my one crit would be your decision to space out every single letter in the font. Makes it harder to read, since the actual spaces between words aren't as evident. For maximum legibility, I'd drop the character spacing, you'd probably lose a bit of "style", but it'd pay of in terms of not irritating people. smile.gif
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Heym nice site=) i love bodyguard's facial expressions=)
  • Xenobond
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xenobond polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    i know it was just a joke, i have heard nothing but good things from the ea mythic deal, i just love poking fun.

[/ QUOTE ]

From what I hear, that's not all you like poking...