Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

So I just finished my dominationwars general and..

eld
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
eld polycounter lvl 18
...I can final move on to some new stuff.

I won't make any drastic changes to this now, but I would like to hear what I should and should not do with my future models/textures.

Lots of blender-loving!

torfinalda2.jpg
torfinalheaddz8.jpg

torwirehe3.jpg

Replies

• EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    The texture looks good to me but those wrinkles/folds on the inner side of the thigh are too many or too dense.
    If what I see on the outer side of the thighs are rectangle shaped hexagon poly's those should be converted to quads I think.
    And the wrists must be a little thinner, they look too thick especially when viewed from back.
    Keep it up.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    EmAr, those hexagon looking polies is just Blender being selective about which edges it shows wire on.

Eld - nice job. I like the direction you've taken with the flesh, that kinda patchy look.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, blender's way of "fast drawing", where it skips a line here and there, it's all quads.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Hah, I dig the final result. Texture has a nice quality to it. Could we see the texture flats? As a crit I'd have to say the black around her neck seems lower res and not given as much attention as the rest of it. It doesn't really have the sharpness you continued everywhere else.

Good work man. :-)

poop.gif
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    You could make the edges of the armor plates more scratched and worn. especialy at the thigh/pelvis junction, and knee area.
    Also, the thumb looks a little long compared to the rest of the fingers.

Looks good overall.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    The UV-map is horrible, I know.

I did some drastical changes in the mesh, AFTER unwrapping, and removed some stuff that I had intented to be in the map, so here I was with a bunch of empty spaces.. Don't claw your eyes out.

(shrunk it down to 50%)

texturemu8.jpg
  • ChaosEidolon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ChaosEidolon polycounter lvl 17
    hey, looking good man!

That texture is super nice and clean. Im very curious about how you go about getting your nice sharp-to-soft gradiated variations, especially in the cloth folds.

Would you mind sharing some of your process for how you got those?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ahhh, tons of wasted space there.

[edit] doh nm read post now. haha
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Turned out great eld!

Two things bug me though. One is the excessive folds (mostly on the inner thigh). Second, something feels "off" about the arms. It's like they're too thin and too wide. They seem too manly (like they need to be scaled down alittle). Eh, something I can't pinpoint. Probably has to do with the screen shots.

Love the simplicity of it. The sectioned skin looks really awesome as well as the metal.
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    yeah, looking good there. Clean model, like EQ said you've got some waisted space there on your layout.

The texture is good but seems a bit random to me, like the use of folds, I think less and well placed (materialtype and weightdistribution) would create a greater effect.

The dirt and damage could create a bit more colorvariation, so that you can see the paint peeling off fa. and you only have small damage showing up and that also looks a bit random. Like on her breasts and in the corners. So I'd say try a greater variation of damage in size and placement to enhance the character.

The proportions are a bit off to, I think that is what Spacey is referring to. Hips to chest looks stretched so her arms in comparison are also to long and generally seem a bit heavy and big to me.

Other than that, looking cool, nice mesh (maybe a bit to much in the face) and a nicley rendered texture and idea. Maybe you can slap symbols and other extras onto her armour , you've still got some free spaces there.

Hope the crit helped
  • Jeremy Wright
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Wright polycounter lvl 17
    I love the scars/cuts in the flesh and the shading in the flesh in general. Sweet!
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the feedback people.

I freehanded this piece nearly all the way, so I went out of control with the wrinkles and such on the legs, too much, thanks for pointing that out.

I'm going to try to go from concept first from now on, but I've such dormant drawing-abilities.
    I never use them :/
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    my only real crit, is that the skin looks like its freshly sliced, and theres nothing holding it together... id put some stitching on there, or maybe make it look like its being held onto the armour by hooks or something. at the moment it looks cool, but out of place.
  • MartinKDahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MartinKDahl polycounter lvl 17
    that texture is really good! apart from what have been said i would like to see more contrast in the armor pieces.
    great looking piece though!
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    I'm with Phil, more (and more varied) damage would be nice. Especially on the boots which I think should show a lot of visible damage from rough ground and such. Also, a little ingrained dirt couldn't hurt.
    The handpainted lightning is lovely and I my opintion definatly the best part of the texture.
  • Pedro Amorim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i would fuck one of those folds. laugh.gif