Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Portfolio mockup

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
OK, so I finally decided to stop ignoring the fact that I need a website so I did a mockup during some downtime at work. I'm lookin for feedback before I start slicing it up and turning it into HTML. On the whole though, I'm thinking it might be a bit too graphic design-y? Whatcha guys tink.

mockup.png

Here's an alternate version with the header vertically oriented.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v353/chrisdejoya/mockup2.png

Replies

• Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    too much room for the site, not enough room for the content
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fair enough. smile.gif But this is the template for the content.

content.jpg

Or I could just have a mess of thumbnails and open the images in pop-ups from there.
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    looks nice man, along what ferg said ( though I think that well done, it can be neat even with a little space) though I'd put the contact me after experience in the menu...

*edit
    damnit, you posted while I was writing tongue.gif I like the content page way better smile.gif
  • Ferg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ferg polycounter lvl 17
    ah that's much better smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    I like the layout of the content page.
    Why don't you just crop the moon/women-faces image from the top image of your initial page, and place it on the top right of the content page, then just make that the default loading page?
    Cool stuff though - keeping it simple is a good idea, that way you showcase nothing but the art.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OK I've got the layout nailed. Thanks for the feedback! Now to get to HTMLing.

Just a question though, the last time I did a website it was ok to use tables to layout something like this. But I notice most people now are using div's. Why's that? Is using tables for layout purposes taboo now?
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    divs have Z-index, and take styles really well per div rather than worrying about per table cell.
    Divs can be arranged to overlap rather than always on a grid.
    :shrug: tables are still in use, but div's have their own set of versatile uses.
    Im not a pro designer, but thats why I like divs. OOH and internet explorer effects.. not that they work in mozilla.. sigh.
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Snowfly, I like your page mockup a lot - nice, clean and simple. I agree with what has been said before.

As for CSS layout that is nowadays preferred, using divs and spans with class id's, I must say that I think there's good reason for that. The source code for pages done with external CSS files applied is way shorter than for pages created with table layout. This way you also define styling of all your elements into a single CSS file and apply it to all other pages, which also means all styling info will need to be downloaded just once. I did my first pure CSS website a month ago (my portfolio) and it was much quicker to put together. Also, if you're using Dreamweaver and don't plan to implement some PHP to swap images, but would have html page for each image, I'd highly recommend using Dreamweaver's templates, they will save you a lot of time.

Keep it up, I can't wait to see your finished site!
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Cool site, snowfly.
    Your face on avatar remind me eminem=D
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    I like the layout and everything. What really bothers me is the background. The contrast and the lines across it really seem distracting. My suggestion would be to scrap the light colored background in favor of a black or deep gray solid instead.