Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Doorway

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Serp polycounter lvl 17
My aim was to create a next-gen doorway, something you might find in Unreal 3. I made a height map (bottom left image)so I could run it through the Nvidia normal map filter in photoshop to create the normals. I also used an emissive for the security light.

3 x 1024 maps
147 triangles (82 polygons)

doorwayphotoshop4oo.jpg

doorwaytextures7nl.jpg

doorwaywireframe9oj.jpg

Replies

• warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    looks great but did you have to use the N***-*** word ? ^^
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    looking good so far, but a couple things: you have a massive amount of wasted space in your UV map right now. I would assume that these are separate maps, except you have a horiztonal piece that extends the whole width at the top. I think one of the many ways you could use the extra space would be to model and texture a stoop for the door - doors never open from ground-level.

also, I dont know how much photo was involved in making this, so for all I know the following suggestions could be counter-reality. but first, the zigzag pattern around the inside of the door frame looks very odd. I would suggest looking up some actual classical decorative patterns such as egg-and-dart or leaf-and-dart.

the decoration inside the main insert panel above the door looks likewise a bit too oversimplified and geometric. again, might be straight out of a ref-photo.

lastly I think there is a layer missing from the strips of moulding at the top of the doorframe. this came out horribly, but it's what I mean:
    pc_door_paintover_01.jpg

great start though! I think the spec mask is working especially well. could you show it to us with a dramatic 3 point-light setup?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    is that the only normalmap you have?

it looks a little weird to me and i think a lot of it has to do with the fact that u have no other surface informations then the actual decoration.. As far as i know, stone is not totally polished and flat smile.gif

work in more information in the normalmap.. surface of the stone, little cracks etc. etc. I think it will read a lot better.

nice start though, keep at it and you will have a nice piece of "current-gen" smile.gif
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    As motives said, you could take some of the layers from your texture map, run them through the nvidia filter, and add a little roughness to the normal map with that, so the normal map is roughed up like the texture.

Otherwise, pretty damn sweet texture and overall piece.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Like noritsune said your UVs are a bit inefficient. Otherwise it's a solid piece. I think it's really smart to do portfolio pieces like this, a room, a small vehicle, etc instead of a full level that isn't real polished. I think the red glowy thing is out of place. If it's a keycard reader, that's real cliche. It also would need a larger housing I'd say. Overall though nice job on this.
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    well its meant to be stone but it looks metal, thats my main issue maybe too much specular?
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    i think the specs the wrong colour. the yellow in it gives it that coppery feel, try overlaying a blue