Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

W.I.P Character Projects

MatOaf
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
MatOaf polycounter lvl 17
Hey Everyone,

I saw this website a few weeks back and thought i might as well post some small stills of the stuff i have been working on.

comments and critcism's are welcome from fellow 3d artists and the like.

First model is an unfinished model that i am trying to create, yes I know it's dragonballz i know some of you will want to fall down and faint at the sight of another DBZ model.

The concept i was trying to go for was the standard Anime look of the DBZ characters, I chose to do Goku as he is the most popular one and so there would be more image material on him than anyother character in the series.

goku20con20batone5ne.th.gif

Here are a few draft Wires and front view shot of the character.

gokuwip3dl.th.jpg

The second model i am working on is this i am aiming to be a bit more realistic, thats what i tend to gravitate towards to anyway.

The Character was going to be called Xaiyo and the concept was to base the character off a woman of Asian ethinicity.

As with the last Character here are a few wires and still rendered shot of the character so far.

Hope to hear from someone soon

l8ters
xaiyowip0ro.th.jpg smile.gif

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I prefer this rendition of Goku.

Your loops are way too grid-like, try to avoid having them go in perfectly straight, parallel lines.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    be sure to check out budokai 3 art, best anime to 3d models i have seen and they deform awesomly.
  • MatOaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hmm yes that image is quite cool
  • Gurahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gurahl polycounter lvl 17
    Hey, I just posted my first pics here too, your current peices are much closer to completion than mine atm though.
    I think what KDR said is right, I've been trying to read as much as I can, and I'm not yet certain how to ensure good deformations, but you should try following lines of musculature etc with the mesh. You still need to keep to tri's and quads of course.
    Maybe take a look at some in game models, or some stuff like the joan of arc tutorial and some of the really top notch modellers work to get an idea of how polygon flow can be used to create better models, especially at lower polycounts. smile.gif

You're doing well so far, keep up the good work wink.gif

Gurahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm yes i think i am beginning to understand what KDR meant, I took a look at the Joan of arc tutorial and i see, the workflow of the character yes you are right about how the musclature and the anatomcial setup of the character is fully represented in the geometry.

hmm ok let me get to work on it.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    1 Picture = 1000 words.

You are building people, not a brick wall, therefore right angles are banned!

badsquares.jpg

Have a look at my tutorial discussing the evil square.

http://www.rsart.co.uk/?page_id=51

And the rest of ye - start linking to it!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Come now, KDR. We all know theres only one respectable interpretation of the Sun Wukong character...
    This one:
    Monkey-masaaki-sakai-photo.jpg
  • MatOaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I took a look at your tutorial, and i must say it's simple but effective.
  • MatOaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok I have gone back to the Goku model after looking over the wires one thing i noticed was that there is alot of wasted polygons that didn't need to be used so i have tried to optimise the model.

here are after photo's of what i have now from the wires i showed in the intial post.

The next thing i am goona try and do is start on the hair.

gokufrontside7ul.th.jpg
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you planning to rig this fellow once he's done? if so you might want to move his arms out to a 45 degree or so angle as it will make for better deformation when animated. Tilting his head back to a more relaxed position might also be worth considering.

He's coming along well. You could probably be a bit more ruthless with your excess polygon removing but your current version is a major improvement over the earlier one. Have fun with the hair.
  • MatOaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    you read my mind i was looking at other renditions of DBZ models that i have come across over the Internet namely the Goku model i Saw at the Sos website props to whoever modelled and textured the Goku and trunks model good stuff.

But yes the way the arm was modelled for that particular version of him was in the same way you described and i could clearly see that when i do come to skinning and rigging the model there would be for better movement in the arm if i modelled the arm in a similar fashion.

You are right about how i could be more ruthless with the optimisation. I could cut down more polygons from the arm and definitely the hand. Though the only thing i am worried about is if i go overboard with the optimisation on the hand i might lose good deformation on the hand when i come to animate his hands espescially the fingers.

Ye the Hair i was thinking of using the new hair feature. so it looks more natural, but i reckon it would look a bit out of sorts to have hair like that on a low poly character.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, it'll be a while unti lwe have any sort of decent hair simulation in games. It'll happen eventually with the onset of these fancy pants physics cards, but not for a few years yet I reckon.

Non-Saiajin Goku's hair is pretty much just straight spikes anyway so hair simulation probably wouldn't be the ideal solution even if it was feasible in engine.
  • MatOaf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok i have stalled on making the hair for a little while for a little more optimisation on the Goku Model i have decided to cut down some more polygons,particularly from the arm though i don't want to risk doing too much to the hand itself.

I took your advice jackablade and moved the arm out a bit, instead of them being straight down by his sides.I have started work on his boots, also could someone give me a second opinion on the shoulder area,I think it might need to be redone.
    gokulatestwireframes3il.th.jpg

On another note i have been working on the Asian woman and have got quite a few things done so far. I have created the head, hair and applied clothing to the character. I am still through the process of texturing the head as i know i rushed it a bit. I did a bit of optimisation on the woman in and around the body, anyway here is what i have as before criticisms and comments are always welcome.

asianwomanshots5zh.th.jpg