Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

3D Animation critique

Big Jay
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
Big Jay polycounter lvl 17
Hey Everyone -

My name is Jay Nelson and I am a student finishing up at Vancouver Film School in the next couple of weeks. Figured I would drop a link to one of my demo reel pieces. This is a karate kata piece I have been working on. It is 9MB .mov file, so you might just want to download it to your desktop. I am also doing a second dialogue piece for my reel. I will post up the dialogue as a WiP relatively soon, but I would like any kind of feedback you can give me.

http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jay/3d58jay_Noodle50comp.mov

Also, with school ending in a couple weeks, I would appreciate any info on job prospects if you know of any.

Thanks!

Jay Nelson
Vancouver Film School
3d58jay@vfs.com

Replies

• MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    whew! that sucker took a while to load! I hate to say it but you could probably cut down on it's size.

as for the animations they're not bad! A little mechanical in a few places, but overall not bad.
  • Big Jay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments!

Sorry about the load time... I am trying to get things set up for my new site and for now I just dump it on my school site to atleast host it.

http://student.vfs.com/~3d58jay/3d58jay_karatepieceVer2.mov

This is the update for my piece. This one is 10 MB, but I will try and cut it down. Further comments are appreciated.

Thanks again!

Jay Nelson
    3d58jay@vfs.com
    Vancouver Film School
  • Jeremy Lindstrom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Lindstrom polycounter lvl 18
    I'd probably make it a larger disclaimer somewhere that you aren't taking credit for 'creating' noodle. Just modelling a facsimilie. You don't want people thinking you are trying to take credit for a pretty well known character.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Just crits on the karate piece:

The beginning is really nice, some nice poses and nice natural motion on the arm when he does that open palm punch.

The two roundohouse kicks feel a little under-powered. You could push the poses a bit by lifting the height of the kick a bit. On the second roundhouse, his right arm looks really odd being held out that straight. You you should bend that a bit. It's really jarring especially since it is in plain view of the camera.

When he his about to kick the bag, there's too much dead time where he doesn't seem to be moving very much. Maybe have him take a deep breath or something.

Watch your elbows/arms IK on the handstand part of the flip, they're sliding around quite a bit. Not immediately noticeable on when watching it full speed, but when going through frame by frame, it's pretty nasty.

You could also end the piece almost immediately after the bag comes back and hits the guy. We don't need to see the bag swing to a stop, because we've seen the joke before.

Nice work.
  • Big Jay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool.

Thanks for the info.... Will take a look at those areas to tighten up. As for the bag swing timing, I am planning on doing a fade out at the end.

Appreciate the info and feel free to check back as I go.

Thanks!

Jay
  • Big Jay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Agreed about giving credit on model.

Free Model from CGTalk and I will go and give way too many credits for model, instructors, etc. in my reel. Just trying to get feedback on the piece before I "lock it down".

Jay