Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

thump thump thump

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
Hey , i had such a fun week at work i actually decided to have some fun modeling at home.

cyber16rm.th.jpg

This is at about 4 hours, i started from a box too , which is very unlike me, obviously there is a load of optimising to be done... hes about 5k tris. Gonna take him into zbrush now for a bit of extra fun!

Replies

• Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looks pretty good. A lot like the oldschool Doom cyberdemon.

I think the head needs some attention, and it isn't quite clear from the model what's going on with it's abdomen. Weapon, maybe, could use a little more complexity in it's shape. smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    im thinking the head is a wee bit too big, it is baced on the old doom2 cyberdemon allthough getting ref for that is quite hard ... lots of pixels but not manny detail shots smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Harsh mode on:

Legs are broken

Delts are non existant from the front, and the pec are too high.

Biceps too small, and triceps MUCH too small.

It has no waist -just a chest and stomach with legs attached.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool especially considering the time.
    Like Rick says, the legs are really weird and broken (lack of balance and wouldn't really walk well with backwards joints), the musculature around the upper body is a bit weird.
    i also think the proportions and pose in general could do with tweaking to make him seem more dynamic.

i did a quick paintover, sorry about the poor quality, but i only have a mouse here.
    basically narrowed his shoulders down, went for a more accurate mesh shape around the shoulders, arm and pecs, to make the mesh flow closer to real anatomy, should make it easier to zbrush too.

thermpaint.jpg
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    these are good crits, the ref i used is literally from the sprites from doom2 , so its not very detailed. And the doom2 model dosnt follow human muscle structure at all .. hence missing muscle groups ... but i did sorta try to add them in for the zbrush stage .... this it just a very rough start to zbrushing on the torso

cyber23ej.th.jpg

this is my reference

cybercon0er.th.jpg

I will have to spend lots more time on the zbrush side , then more still.
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Cool project! But this is a classic case of things in 2D not quite working out in 3D.

I do think the valleys in the muscles look a bit too scooped out, and biceps just don't look like that.. but this is WIP, so I'm sure you'll tighten up those areas. Awesome translation from the Doom2 version though!
  • Jembo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jembo polycounter lvl 17
    I think this is working out well, and I think the Zbrush details will really flesh this demon out.

Apart from the crits given by others, the only thing I'd like to see on this guy (even though it might be deviating from the reference a little) is a more disfigured hand. In the low(er)-poly version that hand looks a little too human for such a monstrous thing. I see you've added some detail to the hand and knuckles in Zbrush, but I would add some claws and perhaps thicker, more gnarled fingers in the low-poly mesh.

Otherwise, going very well, can't wait to see him textured!
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    El Gordo and I slapped him at work. He took heed.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes, i got a good slap.

Thanks for all the crits guys.

Tonight i completely re-made ethe head using proper ref of a bulls skull , and still pushing it toward the original cyber demon look.

cyber35zf.th.jpg

Next im going to remodel the body and use a much higher poly mesh before entering zbrush.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    The new head is a lot beter. I think the it may be just a bit too long, looking at the 3/4thish ref from Doom2. smile.gif
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah , too much bull! I think i got that from speaking to rick and gordon smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    i miss cables on his right arm!
    cyberdemon.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The thing is, you haven't used a bulls head - bulls don't have forward facing eyes. The Cyberdemon doesn't have a bulls head anyway, it looks like bastardised pumped up goats head. It's like an ape/goat crossbread.

Here is the real head:

phonecard.jpg

Very goat like.

Here is the box art:

cyberdemon.jpg

See? Very apelike

I suggest that you maybe push it towards a reimagined version rather than a slavish copy. Its a cyber demon, so take some demon, take some cybers and add 1 level teaspoon of yeast.

Take a goats head, beef it up, rip the flesh off the front. leave the eyes on the side of the head but sew up the sockets and use some cybers to build cyboeyes.

...and go and get me some bacon sandwiches as i may have a tinkle too much bourbon last night.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    you gotta love the boxart guy's hair... I think wesley snipes was the last living soul to have that hairstyle.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well , i think its basicly a minator which is a bull i think. Even though its a lovley painting , i dont think the cover art follows the concept in the way i want to take it. Im basicly taking a bulls head rotating the eyes forward and then shortening the snout.

Now come and help me setup silos interface.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    get me some pies first.
  • Wendy de Boer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    @ Rick: The first picture you posted isn't a Cyberdemon, that's the Icon of Sin. It's the boss creature in Doom II. crazy.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Right, Ive been testing out silo tonight, and its got some really great features theres lots of stuff i dont know how to do yet, but what ive seen its a very efficent package to use.

cyber43sn.th.jpg

Ive only been working on the left hand side of this tonight , but i feel ive made some good progress in the structure, especially round the legs. Im going to mirror the torso and upper arm and leg to the other side , then go on to some techy bits. Im definately going to bend the arms slightly now too. just to make the pose more natural before rigging.

Thanks again for the comments guys.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    buttcheeks not tight/closed enough!
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    cool subject, the newer head is looking much nicer.

I totally suggest you go with your own thing a bit more. I think the original design is a little weak now.. and I am sure you can push it further
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the continued comments , i take them all on board.

15cl2.th.jpg

26bt1.th.jpg

I did some quick renders just for fun, its no where near the zbrush stage or unwrap/texturing etc...

cyber53wx.th.jpg

did a tiny bit nore to this after i took the shot, i have mainly tweeked shape and proportions tonight. i still need to model the mechanical parts/wires all over the body, and tweek some small areas like the chest and head..... left arm ..... the hand needs completely rebuilding... again, i feel its heading in the right direction , but so much to do still.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looking way better now, Erik!
    Hands/arms are feeling a bit puny compared to the thickness and size of his legs and torso - I think you should beef up the forearms and hands, and possibly the upper arms too.
    I think the amount that the deltoid is sticking up from the shoulder now is a little too pronounced, it should be smoother in line up towards the neck, not bubbling out like that. Makes it look a little fake.

Keep it up though, it's improving in leaps and bounds!
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    something about it makes it seem really tiny. i'm thinking it's the fact that he appears to be looking upwards. also maybe make his body longer? i dunno

looking way better though, i like the new head.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    This is developing well, try having a look at this website rey bustos for some good anatomical reference for creatures like yours.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers for the comments guys!
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on some of the techy bits... still got to do the arm and the hand, gun and some more work on the head .. i dont like the eyes at all.

cyber60ki.th.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Those hands aren't working - beef them way way up..

hulk-shouting-1.gif

See?

As for the eyes, "where we're going, you won't need eyes to see". Stich them up. Think demon.

Oh, and the neck seems - dunno, it seems perhaps to ramrod straight - I know you'll be rigging it, but you might want to pull the head forward a little.

Beef up the triceps a little.

Offset the height of the calf muscles a little, make the one on the outside a little longer and the one on the inside fatter.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, the forarm/hand and gun are the areas im working on at the moment.
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You might like this version of Trapjaw too:

iconsofevil_trapjaw1.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Are you going to give him a big demon cock?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Allways thinking of the cock Rick...
    Really not too sure about that area, Think im gonna make it mostly bone and metal...

Sorry cheapy, not that sort of bone.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, I think im about ready for zed brush. maybe a few minor tweaks to do , but i think ill tessalate the metal parts for the mormal bake , and take the organic parts into zed brush for the sculpt but with the metal parts still there as a point of reference.

cyber74no.th.jpg
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Still looks like he is pulling his head back in uprise, and the hands are way too small.

And his legs look off still, a little unbalanced.

Have you got any beer?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ok, done some Zed Brushing

3dj1.th.jpg

Its not quite finnished. im still working on ome areas putting in details before taking it to a normal map.
  • conte
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    conte polycounter lvl 18
    Thermidor, that's cool=)
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    looks sweet! have you thought about doing his stomach wires in max though?
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replys guys

Rooster : Yeah, i figured i would zbrush em in , and then model some seperately in max over the top to give more depth. There will be some more wires and other detail parts i will add later too. I might go back and remodel the hand in max then stick that on later.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    That's looking great Therm.
  • solar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    solar polycounter lvl 18
    Zbrushing is cool Therm,the spine is especially nice. The render really helps, looking good. I think you need to make the mechanical bits match the rest of the models quality now. So before you go make your normal maps get those bits looking really sweet, lots of grooves and details. Lovely progress though.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replys, and happy birthday Daz smile.gif

Gordon : certainly will do mate. i think im going to map the tech bits seperately and keep most of them as seperate elements in the mesh, i can tweek detail and bake normals onto them seperate from the skin areas later.
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Normal maped now

6jv0.th.jpg

Ill probly pull some of the verts in in places for the sake of the silhouette. Just got to work on modeling into those tech bits a little now , and mapping those out to the low poly versions.
  • Mike_Carlyle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mike_Carlyle polycounter lvl 17
    man i love this thread :-D
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    dude that looks awesome, very true to the original
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice! The feet seem a tad large, but it has been awhile since I've played the game. Digging the face.
  • Squirmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squirmy polycounter lvl 17
    I like it, he looks like a chewed up piece of bubble gum. The shin area looks strange to me, mainly the sharp ridge that runs down it right where you expect a bone. Except, that its way to skiny to be a bone.