Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

WIP: Goblin Project

M3anBONE_sj_
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
M3anBONE_sj_ polycounter lvl 18
Here's a new model i'm working on. I have plans to add extensive clothing on him later on once I figure out what those will look like. Anyway, comments are welcome. goblin.jpg

Replies

• snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    pretty nice looking goblin.

what's his purpose? just for fun? workin in a specific game limits? what specs are you aiming at?

if it's game spec you should probably use an alpha plane fro the teeth rather than full polies.
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This model is for fun but I wanted to work within game limits. I'm trying to keep him under 5000tris and utilize the typical setup with diffuse, spec, and normal maps at 1024x1024. I'll be adding clothing later as I stated previously as soon as I get those designed out. Right now, i'm working in Zbrush to shell out a detailed normal map.

goblin2.jpg
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anyone know how I can fix the problems I circled on the photos? I've been trying to figure out why Zbrush's Zmapper plugin keeps creating this streak once it produces the normal map.

Also, When i mirrored the model along with its normal map, the highlights and shadows appear inverted on the newly mirrored section (left side)...How do I fix this mess?
    surfaceproblems.jpg
  • kendo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kendo polycounter lvl 18
    In regards to technical questions related to Zbrush i beleive you will have far more luck over at Zbrushhcentral

Also if you havnt already seen it then perhaps this zmapper video tutorial might help
  • SHEPEIRO
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SHEPEIRO polycounter lvl 17
    it looks like a mistake on the low poly mesh, like its been imported with a tri thats glitched between the cheek and arm, might be something about your export cages settings, if its OBJ. file check your settings ESP if its compressed the vertex numbers
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I figured the low-poly mesh might have had something to do with all this mess but in an earlier test with the normal map, the streaks didn't appear - it was only in a later updated normal map that the streak began to turn up. Still workin' at it, though.
  • fritz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fritz polycounter lvl 18
    are you sure you don't have any unmapped faces? when i get something like that in my uveditor...it's cause i missed a face in the unwrapping process.
  • Marine
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marine polycounter lvl 18
    maya doesn't handle mirrored normals well, there is a "fix", think you have to create a new material with one of the normal maps channels flipped, and apply it to the mirrored part only
  • M3anBONE_sj_
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I've checked for unmapped faces and i'm pretty sure I got everything.

I've also tried selecting the faces on the left side and inverted the normals but I came up with this nasty dark line that runs down the center of the model. No matter where I rotate the lighting, it appears. Also, after flipping the normals, the entire left side because black - only when rotating a light source is when i'm able to see the model's surface once again where it does appear correct and not inverted.

So many problems with this thing, i'm about to just redo the UVmapping and just map-out the model as a single unit as opposed to just half.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Split the model into separate chunks based on the section of UVs you want to fix the normal mapping on, generate those out as separate pieces, and paste the material together in Photoshop. I often did this when generating large normal maps that would render incorrectly.

As far as mirrored normals, Maya just doesn’t like this, and you have to deal with it as a Maya artist. There may be a fix for the shader I’m unfamiliar with, but I suggest finding a model viewer specifically for this or putting him in Doom3 or Quake4. Though, in some of my experiences, I’ve found setting up good lighting or just inverting those faces can make a nice, quick fix for your working purposes.