Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ninja - nextgen

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
3dflasher polycounter lvl 17
I started modeling one of the concepts ninjas posted up (with his permision) It's still super rough, only about 7 hours in...next up is some zbrush lovin..hopefully early this week...then its normal map time smile.gif

ninja.jpg

Replies

• Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    That's coming along pretty well. I think it would look better if his thieghs were bigger, his legs longer and his neck a bit shorter. The detail level is nice though.
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx ninjas smile.gif It's your concept...so im gonna need tons of input from you. I cant wait to bring the model into zbrush...its gonna be fun.
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    if you post the concept here I'm sure you'd get a lot more crits.
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here is the concept "by Ninjas" still have tons of detail to lay out and holes to put in...I love this concept smile.gif

NinjaGhost.jpg
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tiny updates...man I wish there where more hours in a day smile.gif

nin_render2.jpg
  • Todd Dinosaur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Todd Dinosaur polycounter lvl 18
    Don't be afraid to give that guy a butt and some hips.
  • PeterK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PeterK greentooth
    Don't mean to thread hijack, but does anyone remember this? circia 2003. Seemed like everyone starting putting shit on shoulders after that.

im_3.jpg
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joseph Silverman polycounter lvl 17
    Looks fairly faithful to Ninjas' (excellent) concept so far. smile.gif

Unless you're just blocking them out, I think you need to add sime wrinkles/muscular detail to the arms for highpolu (respetively, of course.) And scale up the knee armor, which was a lot more prominent in the drawing.
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys for the input.

SupRore - Ill try to fix that kneepad...and yeah these shapes are just blocked out....tryin to get some polys to push for when I get it into z-brush smile.gif

PeterK - shoulder gear is alot older than '03. I thought you were gonna bust out some old 80's cartoon...like Centurions or something.

centuri1.jpg

Now thats classic wink.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    PeterK: I think you'll find other people got there first, around 1800 years ago smile.gif

3dflasher: I like how this is going so far, but Digisaur is entirely right about the hips - your guy's waist is faaaaar too narrow at the moment.

Keep it up smile.gif
  • Luxury
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Luxury polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see the codpiece is still alive and kicking in this day and age. And how!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    no offense but i dont see anything "next-gen" about it.

but than again i dont see anythign next gen in nextgen games either

its all bloom/normal-maps and specular nothign else and thats totaly "cur-gen"
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    codpiece rockin it...he is a ninja and a pimp wink.gif

Warby - tons of people just hear normal map and bloom and dont fully understand how cool it is that we have these new tools and why it may seem overused at this early stage of per pixel. The reason I called this thread next gen is because this WIP is just the begining of what is gonna be about a 1 month process of me modeling this high res character....seperating the parts....importing the seperate pieces into zbrush...poly reducing the mesh to bring into max...building a new low poly UV'ed part...extracting the normals from the high and stitching back the new low poly mesh...this is just the begining stages of a loooong process. The final ingame model will be a seperate mesh all together..with its own UV's and per pixel goodness

While spec maps and bloom do exist in current gen...its still calculated at the vertex level...shading with per pixel with the hotness that is shader model 3 is just so freakin sweet that I get excited just thinking of the possibilities.

basically the details will come when I get it into zbrush..people seem to rush their models and dont get form down before they get into zbrush.
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    threw the arm into zbrush...man zbrush has to be the coolest thing ever smile.gif dont know how I ever lived without it. Getting down basic muscle groups...at subd level 6 right now...cranking in at 96,000 poly's

nin_arm.jpg

--updated screenshot--
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pretty nie arm, but I don't think the main shapes match up with the ninja concept (or the style of the ninja concept) very well.

16hq93a.jpg, to show what I mean. Everything's way too bulky right now. Keep it up. smile.gif
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moved onto the glove...

nin_glove2.jpg
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    some torso luvin...got carried away with the detail...gonna try and give it a second pass to make it look like fabric on skin

nin_torso.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Overall its good, but you're really not capturing the feel or proportions of the concept. Nailing them before moving on to hi-poly will help tremendously.

that wrist looks pretty beefy. I'd give them a little more shape.

Also, those shoulder-dealies are a big part of the focus of the character, and you seem to have just done a tapered cylinder with a hemisphere on the end. In the concept they contour to his shoulders, and hint at a much more interesting shape than just a 'torpedo'. Try to really make it feel like part of his musculature rather than just sitting on top of him. His one sleeved arm in the concept looks to have an opening at his armpit, rather than pinching in like a sweater-sleeve.

Any chance of seeing side and back shots of the model?
  • Ninjas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ninjas polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like you're making good progress! Sorry if I didn't post earlier, since I was on vacation.

I think some of the ZBrush stuff looks a bit chunky. I think the torso is the best, but I think the abs has a little too much to be under a suit.

Good work! I'm looking forward to seeing how this comes out.
  • 3dflasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thx ninjas...yeha I got too carried away with zbrush on the ab detail...just love me some zbrush smile.gif ...here is some more work on the torso

nin_torso2.jpg
  • Lain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lain polycounter lvl 17
    Hello, I really love this, I am almost 15 years old and working a summer job for my uncle to gain enough money to buy a computer with dual 7950 GTX's; which will be a quad sli computer. At the moment I have a 32mb video card.. so it will be a big jump. I am averaging about $14 per hour and around or over $1000 per week. After reading an inspiring story on these forums of a 14 year old teenager who has grown up now getting a job at ncsoft and ecouraging us all to work for our dreams I have decided to start doing 3d modeling and art after all these years of wanting too. I really like your ninja. I was wondering; I am new to this and was wondering... it is a very stupid question... but you used maya 3d to make this ninja correct? To model it. I am downloading it at the moment. I have decided to make a ninja related to a naruto sketch I will look for as my first model.
  • Lain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lain polycounter lvl 17
    Ok; it says this old garbage computer doesn't support hardware rendering or pixel shading... Lol.... So I guess i'll have to wait for the new computer i'm going to build; i'll just stick here and try to pick up some tricks while I wait.
  • Joseph Silverman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    He's used Maya and Zbrush so far. smile.gif

Good luck starting with 3d. Maybe try and start with Blender or another free program until you get some experience. http://www.blender.org/cms/Home.2.0.html grin.gif