polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
warby polycounter lvl 18
de_wanda_alpha_01.jpg

de_wanda_alpha_02.jpg

de_wanda_alpha_03.jpg

de_wanda_alpha_04.jpg

i am aware that it feels very empty

the bomb target will be a big museum-ish building that is suppsoed to look from the inside like that super famouse new york grand central station photograph with the ligh comin in from the windows ( anyone kno which one i am talking about). originaly the map was supposed to be completly in the style of "shadow of the colossus" but than i found beyond good and evil for 3 bucks in one of those software bargain bins in a mall and wasblown away how cute their world hillys is and decided to go for a similiar souther european style ( probably france ... ubisoft ... right ?!)

mad creditz to:

-hessi for the cool photo dvds laugh.gif
-xtender for hosting the pics on his webspace while mine is down

any suggestions are welcome paint overs are totaly being prefered laugh.gif

...also i totaly lied in the topic its not 100% custom( yet) iam using the militia hdr sky

:banjo:

Replies

• ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work so far but I think is missing some trees and all kind of green spaces.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Neat! Please turn down the threshold of the bloom.
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GLandolina polycounter lvl 17
    yeah its good but the bloom is FAR too high, bloom should be barely noticable. there are a few other little bits that i dont like like some of the textures arent facing the right way but other than that its great
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    why's there a giant glowing block in the first picture?
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    manic: the bloom factor is too high
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    did a couple of paintovers here as far as the architecture was concerned. like you mentioned earlier you were planning on doing most of this stuff anyways (the roofs, the awnings, the railings) but there were some proportional and stylistic fixes you could make that would say "southern france" stronger.

I think three of the main things will be getting red clay roofs in there (I know you dont want to but still!), replacing most of the brick/stone walls with yellowy and butter stucco, and replacing the leaded glass windows with wooden shuttered ones.

I think that the building on the far right in the first paintover would make a good "style model" as you go forward and detail the others up.

smile.gif
    css_nice_1_paintover.jpg
    css_nice_2_paintover.jpg
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha thats actually quite a fantastic paintover
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    very nice scott-sama i shall adopt most of your ideas ^^ smile.gif *BOW*
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    possibly the best paint over I've ever seen.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    quite good but oh how the lines swim! i think you should take his implicit suggestion and place the entire map UNDERWATER. when was the last time you played a good underwater CS map, huh?

i humbly submit that the interval in question has been quite lengthy. laugh.gif keep us posted with updated pics, warby!
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! exactly. and call it "Venice: Inconveniently Truthful"
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I clicked on the topic for the first time and it took me straight to noritsune's paintovers, and I thought those where screenshots and got retardedly excited. frown.gif
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    what i ve done: added lots of overlays changed the lighting to be like dod anzio ^^ and added rooftops optimized the vising in the map reduced 15.000 to 3500 VIS leafs

de_wanda_alpha2_01.jpg
    de_wanda_alpha2_02.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_03.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_04.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_05.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_06.jpg

de_wanda_alpha2_07.jpg

next on my list power-cables, telgraph-poles, everythign on scotts paint overs and fixing the lighting fuck ups under the func_detail_roofs ...
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i reccomend simply getting rid of the bloom ENTIRELY for now, add it when its done because it just washes it out, it doesnt make it any cooler in my opinion.
    infact its not WORKING, it should be actually blooming around surfaces not making surfaces washed out
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I've been developing for the Source engine since the beginning of the year and I can tell you that if not done properly, the water will be a HUGE hit on resources once you get more than 4 people in the map. There's a reason most CSS maps don't have water, and if they do its dark and not very reflective. Even on new systems coming out it's still a huge hit to the PC's resources to have good looking water in your multiplayer map like you have here.

Also, I'd consider moving most of the building tops the player can't access out of the playable world and in to the sky portal. Not only will this help keep the resources needed to render those tops to a low, it'll keep the map size down. To do this effectively you'd also have to create lower res versions of the textures you're using (rather than 512x512 for brushes that aren't seen any closer than 40 feet).

My next comment was going to be on gameplay, but that is hard to judge from these screenshots. Do you have a topographical view of this map I could see? Hand-draw or from the game? Choke points, sniper spots, hostage placement, etc. are all key elements to making maps play as good as they look. If you could post something along those lines that'd be great.

Keep it up!
  • warby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    warby polycounter lvl 18
    GLandolina there is no bloom in the new alpha compile :mata:
  • GLandolina
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    well it still seems washed out for some reason
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    what is this IVY I see!! show more...
  • Zwebbie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zwebbie polycounter lvl 18
    I'd say the colouring of the wood on the bridge is too monotone to come over convincingly. But nice work, cool to see some other CS map than Dust :P
  • Atrocity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Atrocity polycounter lvl 17
    Looks really good, and those paint overs are an excellent push in a direction this could, and perhaps should go. I too am a level designer and yeah the water can be a huge hit on resources if not done right, but hey if you pulled it off excellent just go to your console and type +showbudget and you will know if the swap buffers are not filled to the top. [I'm not trying to sound like an ass]

Excellent work on the textures, I will agree with ComradeJ though I think that wood texture could use a little work.
  • Toxxys
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toxxys polycounter lvl 17
    Water is quite the killer... I always set my water to refelct world only in source games... sometimes even down to simple reflections.

Just wondering, will this be a hostage map or bombing map? I haven't played CSS in a while, but I would love to play on a serious and beautiful custom map like this.

Only recomendations: More ivy and plants (potted plants, window planters etc), the green really helps break up the tans and grays (very nice touch using the blue roof tiles for the same effect as well).

A suggestion: You could even do a blown-out version for DoD Source.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Quick comment about the IVY: In all the new(est) CS:S maps the only time Valve/Turtlerock used ivy as a world texture was for stuff in the background and sky portal that the play couldn't get right up against - for that stuff they use models so that it's somewhat 3 dimensional.