Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Z-95 Headhunter

Voodoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Voodoo polycounter lvl 18
Well my scanner mysteriously started working again after mysteriously crapping out on me so I decided to actually model off of some good concept art. This is your typical Z-95 Headhunter from Star Wars modeled off the schematics in "The Essential Guide to Vehicles and Vessels". The model is right around 1400 polies and I've used an assortment of 128 and 256 textures so that I can port the model into X-Wing Alliance. This is currently my "new best" model and texture work.

text_final_top.jpg

texture_final_front.jpg

text_final_back.jpg

wires.jpg

Replies

• steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    Hey! I like this one, looks good dude, I think you did a decent job with such low res textures. Lets see some shots of it in game!
  • ebagg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ebagg polycounter lvl 17
    Lookni damn good. I have no crits!
  • Slipstream
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slipstream polycounter lvl 19
    Beautiful works, it looks just like it laugh.gif

I do have one question/crit though. Why do you have so many polygons in the nose and front part of the fuesalage? For all intents those area's are almost straight edges and having those polygons there to make a slight curve, while accurate, isn't really needed and likely won't be noticed in game.
  • Shady-D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shady-D polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    Beautiful works, it looks just like it laugh.gif

I do have one question/crit though. Why do you have so many polygons in the nose and front part of the fuesalage? For all intents those area's are almost straight edges and having those polygons there to make a slight curve, while accurate, isn't really needed and likely won't be noticed in game.

[/ QUOTE ]

if hes got the polys, why not?
    its not an total waste as it still adds some slight shape changements.. i think.. but i geuss they can be removed withouth anyone noticing it..
  • Grim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Grim polycounter lvl 17
    I like the overall model but I think you could have used the polygons you have better. I would remove from some places and add to others but thats just me, keep up the great work.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you all for your kind words. I probably could have gotten away with using fewer polies in the nose area or at least spaced out the faces a little more evenly. Here are some shots of the model in the game engine. I'm please with how well it translated.

1.jpg

2.jpg
  • noritsune
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    noritsune polycounter lvl 17
    looks pretty, very authentic feel. but please tell me you have some control over the little engine glows/contrails, because right now they look god-awful, reminding me of my junior sci-fi scenes in Bryce 2 way back when. sphere + "Fire" material. hopefully these are just wip?

if you do have control over them, and want a different direction to go, I found the exaggerated long contrails in Homeworld 2 to be really sexy. google-image should find something quick.
  • Voodoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a tiny bit of control over the engine glow through an editor that converts the .3ds file into an OPT file which the engine will run. That was just my first attempt at creating the engine glow. I have control over the height, width, length and the 2 colors used in the actual glow, that's it.