Home Technical Talk

Photoshop cs Keyboard Shortcuts

peppi
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
peppi polycounter lvl 18
I've been wondering for a while if you could customize shortcuts in Photoshop. Some of the stuff I'm using frequently is only available through menus (certain image adjustments, image size, specific filters etc.) which is cumbersome as I work in fullscreen mostly - unless I need something that has no default keybind. It never occurred to me though that I could just have a look at the Edit menu. Until today.

It turns out the answer is yes, you can. The menu is found here: "Edit > Keyboard Shortcuts..." (or press Alt+Shift+Ctrl+K). There's a "Summarize" button that will dump all shortcuts assigned and unassigned into a HTML file. This is also nice for people working on non-US keyboard layouts, since for example the defaults for changing brush size or toggle grid won't work on a German one. I've cleaned up the summary (removed the empty fields), you can find the default keys here - Photoshop CS Default Shortcuts

Poop mentions this hasn't been available in PS7 which kind of lightens my embarrassment a little.

Some things are not in that list, such as
- Tab to toggle all Palette menus in the workspace at once
- Ctrl+Tab to cycle through all documents currently open (much like Alt+Tab in Windows)
- Ctrl+Return while editing a text layer to save&exit text editing mode
- Ctrl+T while editing a text layer to toggle the Char/Paragraph Options
- For Tools that are mapped to the same key, use Shift+(Letter) to cycle through the different variants
- Space+click to drag the document around in the work area

This one was also brought up here recently
- Shift+Mousewheel to zoom in non-arbitrary steps

- And probably tons more

Thought I'd share this, hopefully some of you will find this helpful (ie. I'm not the only one who's missed this smile.gif), shortcuts have become a real lifesaver for me.

Feel free to add any that aren't in the list.

Replies

• thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    guten morgen peter! laugh.gif

edit: it's also possible to use custom popup menu's for regularly accessed functions. the functionality is built into the wacom control panel and - i believe - works on a per app basis.
  • peppi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peppi polycounter lvl 18
    thx. 2.5 jahre reaktionszeit sind doch gar nicht so übel... tongue.gif
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    some more default shortcuts not mentioned:

Fill Dialog = shift+Backspace
    Fill with foreground colour = Alt+Backspace
    Fill with background colour = Cntrl+Backspace

Holding down Cntrl when using another tool usually brings up the layer tool.

Holding down Alt when using the layer tool turns the layer tool into the layer copy tool.
  • Spacey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spacey polycounter lvl 18
    Oooo, love me some hotkey threads! It's in the list, but I wanted to add-on about the pan as I don't know how well known it is...

F - Cycles between viewing modes.
    1. Standard Mode
    2. Full Screen with Menu Bar
    3. Full Screen

Whats really nice about the Full Screen Mode is that unlike the Standard Mode, you can pan (Space+Drag) the corner of the document to the center of the screen. If you tried this in Standard Mode you'd have to window the document and work in the corner with the risk of clicking a scroll bar, clicking the title bar, or clicking off the document. Plus, a quick Tab clears all the pallettes giving you a nice look at your work without all the clutter. I like to work in the second mode most as the extra menu bar is small enough not to get in the way and also has lots of good tools and such in easy access.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    My favourite secret hot key!

Shift+RMB+Paintbucket changes the background colour of the window when extended past the image boundary, nifty if you like to click F to cycle modes and do not like their crappy light grey or black. I prefer working on a dark grey background.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Ctrl+H show's and hide's extra's which marquee selections are considered. So if you have something selected and you want to make some adjustments, but the marching ants are obstructing your view, hit ctrl+h to hide them while maintaining that selection.

poop.gif
  • Sa74n
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sa74n polycounter lvl 18
    malcolm.. now thats a cool shortcut! didnt know it was possible at all. thanks man smile.gif
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    in CS and CS2, although this probably works on all version of PS: In the layers window Ctrl-Click a layer, then Ctrl-Click another layer *ABOVE* the first chosen layer then hit Ctrl-E (Merge). It will merge the bottom selected layer ON TOP of the top selected layer as if the bottom WAS on top already.