Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Rebel Character

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
obson polycounter lvl 17
Low poly character I did a little while ago for an unreal mod. Supposed to be a character rebeling against a "dystopian" type government.

He's 2878 triangles and two 512 color maps. Comment and critique away!

1.jpg2.jpg
4.jpg3.jpg

Replies

• ultra
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ultra polycounter lvl 18
    Good work! the model and texture are cool, however i think u could improve alot more in the face area. GL!
  • Valandar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valandar polycounter lvl 18
    The nose and lips really caught my eye as not looking... right.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    overall it looks pretty good. It looks like you could collapse a few loops in the head without taking away from the silhouette at all. Also the split in the loop on the lower part ofthe forearm looks like it could be collapsed into a single loop. The clasps on the jacket look like they could just be painted on, as well as the bands on his leg holster...Texture looks like it could be pushed alot further...the cloth on the pants looks really good as well as the shoes..but everything else looks like it needs to be brought up to the same quality....
    overall a very good start...he doesnt suffer from Manaquinism..his face has alot of character....good work
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I really like this character, the face is really good! I also like the texture a lot. Hes giving me real "spikeout" vibes, and would probably fit into that game if sega ever did a high poly version.

Low odor is right about the optimisation on the model, however I only think these steps would be necissary if the model was an NPC.
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks guys, appreciate the feedback!

I'm not going to worry about optimizing this guy further since he's already rigged and ready to go. I'll definitely keep them in mind on my next one though.

Spent some time on the head today, made some changes to his nose and lips to fix their shape.

headclose.jpg
    frontrender.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Cool stuff, I like him! Nice style to the texture. The new face is a good improvement.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    one thing you missed is the mirroring on the eyes
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    It would be cool if the squid legs continued down the rest of the leg. it has an odd cut of at the moment.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    The main thing taking away from the realism of the face at the moment is how bright the eyes are. You need a shadow projected by the eyelids. On a character with such heavy, swollen looking eyelids you'd only get the smallest sliver of unshaded eye detail, if that.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice work, lots of character in him. I like the color scheme.

I think the transition from hair to scalp needs work, it's far too sharp right now. Blend it together. If you need reference, check out the FFXII shots of how they do it.

His face could use more volume in the texture, right now it's a bit bright all over and flat. While talking about the texture, could we see the flats for him? I'd like to see the yellow octopus theme repeated elsewhere perhaps. It's one of my favorate parts, and it's a shame it's not there more often. Also in the texture, a lot of the parts seem floating, try to get some more overlapping shadows, like on the pants where the straps overlap. and where the kneepads overlap. The different elements to his vest don't seem to make sense, are they just printed on patterns? If they are separate metal elements, the base green part should have more seems, changes in plating, or volume. Right now it just looks like a large vest shaped blob with nothing to tell me what it's made of or how those parts are interacting.

Really cool character overall, just has a few areas holding it back.

poop.gif
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    tell me obson, and it will be the last time..

Where... is the rebel base? You know that little geometry chunck the character is supposed to stand on.

OK elaborate joke over, no bases nesseasary. I'm kidding.. har har.

Just at a first glance the shin pads are kinds thrown on there, I think if they matched the shoulder texture or they were alot darker they would pop better. peace
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Pretty cool indeed, it's different from most stuff. Yeah, 2878 is kind of high for a playable human.
  • Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    nice work, i like him... but he looks a bit stoned.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swamp Bug: yoik yoik. Good one.
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    thanks for the comments, I took into account some of the stuff you guys mentioned. Tried to make the vest read a little better, worked on the lighting, and some other stuff.

5.jpg

and the flats for poop:

bodyflat.jpg
    headflat.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    i somehow like his stoned look , althou the eye area could have been better painted, and i dont know what are those veins doing in that place of the skin are they supose to be wrinkles ? anyway i like it , make his lips a bit more defined and there you go:)
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, he does look like a stoner.

and his pants are destroying my mind... I mean I love the octopus design, its just so bizarre and draws all my attention. I swear I've seen those tentacles before... maybe in a dream.

anyways, nice looking character.

oh, and what are those six things on his vest?
  • obson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    obson polycounter lvl 17
    the tentacles and the eyes are supposed to be painted on.

the idea was that these rebels started wearing crazy colors and modifying their clothes to seperate themselves from the oppressive government smile.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i like it, but i wish you'd push those elements you just mentioned further. what's killing me is the metal shoulder bits. if they're about crazy colors and defining themselves in a completely different way than their oppressive government, why such a standard looking, manufactured outfit piece like that?

we live in a world that is absolutely chocked full of great examples of exactly the kind of people you're trying to emulate. Hippies, to take the most recent and obvious example, but dig deeper, mine the richer veins of history: Jamaica, for example. Nations that have struggled under colonial rule with a vital culture that was in many ways very, very different to those that opposed it.

the point is that to make this guy and his ilk believable, you have to think all the way through it. right now he looks about as authentically anti-establishment as one of those suburban "punks" that scrub off their makeup and let down their faux-hawk at the end of the day when mom picks them up after school in the minivan. think about how different that is from an actual punk.

so anyhow, excuse the digressions, but i think you get what i'm trying to say. take the idea you've got and push it further; right now the character just doesn't visually communicate his origins/purpose in life.
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent points Gauss.