Home Technical Talk

Modo201 painting and baking!

StrangeFate
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
I think this should be interesting for everybody.
Luxology released 3 videos for modo 201 about the painting and baking of bump/color maps. You can even re-UV map your model and rebake the color map to match the new UV.

James and I are using the beta and i'm pretty much going over all the model and world textures and painting in new normal and spec maps. I'm just projecting world textures into a 1mx1m planar so i can paint the normal and spec maps there. Since you can apply the color map as a bumpmap (later bake it as a normalmap) you get the same starting point for a texture that you'd get from running it through the NVidia normalmap PS plugin, with the difference that it does a better job at it.

Coolest thing is that it works like PS. You can blend (overlay, softlight, multiply, transparency, alpha channels... anything) in whatever maps you have like PS layers and the baking (you can bake any visible layers as anything: normal/spec/colo/height -maps etc) works like flatten in PS. It bakes all visible layers into 1 file.
You dont have to overlay your baked normalmap with the one you painted in PS with additional detail and live with the information loss you suffer in PS from the overlay, you just bake both normal maps into one in modo smile.gif

The original thread - http://forums.luxology.com/discussion/topic.aspx?id=5842

and the videos
http://content.luxology.com/modo/201/video/RealTimeOptions.mov
http://content.luxology.com/modo/201/video/DetailPaint-Bake01.mov
http://content.luxology.com/modo/201/video/DetailPaint-Bake02.mov

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OOOOOOOOOH Hot shit!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That looks so cool. This is what I was hoping the DP3D rewrite would do, but they dropped that ball.

I'd guess you can tile the new paint job too, by using a cylinder instead of a plane (or a torus if you're adventurous!).

Can you paint other channels too? Like specular color, cube-reflection mask, opacity, emissive, etc.?
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    eric i've seen videos of people painting spec maps and such and seeing the results in realtime so...yeah...yay!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric, you can paint any map you can think off, you basically paint whatever you want and set the layer to be whatever you want. You can take a color map and just switch the layer to bump map, and it will be a bumpmap, or set it to spec map, and it will be a specular map. Of course, if you use a normalmap as specular map it will look kinda horrible, but it's all up to you. It's as easy and painless as changing the blending mode of a layer in PS.

Modo also has an Fprime (LW plugin) like realtimish render window, so you can paint all you stuff in a 3d viewport and the 3d renderer will update everything on the fly... for hipoly stuff mainly.

And you can undock any viewport, so you can have the render window on the second monitor, or whatever setup you like best.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That all sounds pretty nifty!
  • Fuse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuse polycounter lvl 18
    wow that is pretty damn cool !!!
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the info!

Do you know if it support multiple UVs? Like diffuse/bump uses a tiled set, while opacity uses a 0-1 set?
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure actually, haven't found a way after a quick go.
    I put in a request to be able to assign a different UV map to any of the images/layers. I'll post what i hear, maybe there's an easy way and i cant see the tree in the forest.

Since most next gen engines, us included, use 2 UV maps for the reasons you just said, i'd really want that too smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, I'm curious to hear. That was one of my big beefs with Body Paint 3D, only one UV.

I'd love to see a layer mask using a different UV set than the layer itself. Does it let you paint masks?
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You can assign a different UV map to any image/texture, so yes to as many UV maps you want. Hadn't seen the tab to assign it...

Masks... The normal workflow would be to start a new image which is always transparent and then just paint in the bits you want there. If you paint with a texture (assigning a texture to a brush), lets say a photo, it will automatically work like a layer mask, you will reveal parts of the photo source as you paint.
    You can assign painted layers as layer masks like in PS or set layers to 'transparency' which affects other layers... but to what extent i dunno yet.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome, thanks for the help.
  • Illusions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Illusions polycounter lvl 18
    When is this thing projected to be out? Ohh and will its painting mode support Wacom tablets like Photoshop and ZBrush does?
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    man.. *looks in bank account* 100$ down.. only 595 to go!

this looks really sweet.. How is the interactivity between say photoshop and modo? Can you paint a texture in modo, open it in PS and paint some more than let it autoupdate in modo and keep workin from there etc?
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Release is when it's done i guess, was supposed to be out in Jan i think but got pushed back a bit. Well worth the wait tho smile.gif

Painting supports tablets and pressure, and brushes can be set to change size and opacity with the pressure ala PS.

Haven't really done anything with PSDs in modo yet, but it supports (load/save) layered PSDs, that's all i know right now.

Oh, and it comes with the imagesynth PS plugin to make tiling textures, haven't had time to give it a real go yet tho.
  • James Edwards
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Daaamn, that looks good. Maybe I can convince IGT to switch over from Lightwave smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That looks damn nice... the painting. Very cool.

That said, it took bloody ages to render out the cellular procedural to a 512x512 normal-map.
    Also is there a way to lock down the "yaw" on the perspective view when rotating the view? The horizon line keeps going on a slant, which makes me feel mildly seasick tongue.gif
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    I regret watching that video. I feel unhappy with Silo for the first time..
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The baking took so long because i think it was using micropoly displacement, which ended in those 300k polygons to be baked, that said, it wasnt very long for a 300k model smile.gif

The Difference of baking vs. running the image through the PS filter is that the PS filter doesn't support gradients, it merely does bevels around any edge it can find ie, paint a shaded sphere in PS and run it through the filter and all the normalmap you get is a flat cylinder.
    Bake the same in modo, and you'll actually get the shaded round sphere as a normalmap. So, unlike PS it actually generates a proper normalmap, as you would get from baking geometry (like a Zbrush detailed texture) into a planar.

I bake all my painted normalmaps in 1024 in modo and i'd swear it takes less time than it took in that video for the 512, and i have some crazy stuff going on. I usually have 2-3 bumpmaps, some painted, some are just the colormap set as bumpmap to capture the base roughness of the photo sources etc, and then bake them all out into 1 normalmap.

I think the videos, althought aimed to game devs still show techniques i'd rather use for texturing hipoly models, while for games you'd rather like to see how you can paint beautifully deep and correct normalmaps for your existing textures and skins in 1/5 of the time it would take to model a brick or weathered/cracked concrete wall in ZBrush to get the proper deepness, since the PS plugin does nothing for you there.
    You can paint all that stuff directly in OpenGL in modo and see the results you'd have ingame and it's pretty much like using projection master in Zbrush, with the difference that you don't lose detail when you export* your 3 Million polygons mesh out of ZBrush to be slowly and painfully baked.
    It works equally good for tiling world textures or skins of any kind.

(*of course, you can try to bake the textures in Zbrush and overlay the resulting normalmap with the initial normalmap you get from the PS filter which as we all know will weaken the colors and bumpiness of all the overlayed normalmaps).
  • Frankie
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frankie polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    Also is there a way to lock down the "yaw" on the perspective view when rotating the view? The horizon line keeps going on a slant, which makes me feel mildly seasick

[/ QUOTE ]
    There is a way! not that I can remeber where the setting is haha. Although if you have modo you should give being able to rotate in three axis a go, I think its great! I hate trying to view stuff and only being able to rotate in two axis now.

I can't wait for modo2! It sounds awesome
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    James Edwards polycounter lvl 18
    Mop: It's a toggle called "Trackball Rotation" found in the display properties menu for each viewport. I think it is the default navigation state in modo, but easy enough to turn off if you don't like it.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Aha, cool, I figured there'd be a way. Any idea if/when they're bringing out a Modo201 demo?
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not sure. It's gotta be soon though if they are putting a release candidate together.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    The wait is killing me......
    I want it! smile.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So do you guys find you're still relying on ZBrush for massing your forms in, or can Modo replace that function as well?

Seems like Modo has the fine bump detail end of it covered, but I can't see if it has the toolset to completely replace a dedicated displacement-painter like ZB.

Thanks again for sharing all the info.
  • motives
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    motives polycounter lvl 18
    im totally sold on modo after tryin out 103. need to make the extra 200$ then im gonna get my dirty hands on a copy for sure. especially with the free upgrade it seems like a good deal (not liek silo tho but what the heck smile.gif)
  • James Edwards
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Eric: Modo 103 actually does have sculpting capability right now. Strangefate has used it to do a few models in the past. I'm not a big fan of it myself though... it's not nearly as nice to use as ZB (imo), and you certainly wouldn't use it on a multi-million polygon mesh. I'm pretty sure they will address the sculpting issue in the future, but for this release their goal was to make it play nice with ZB rather than replace it.

I think the existing modeling tools combined with displacement/bump painting and baking will still make a decent combo for getting normal map details for some objects right within modo. Edge weights will now be much more useful since you can now render them and bake the subdivided results down to the low rez uv map. I can easily see myself doing props and hard surfaces all in Modo this way, but I'll probably still be using ZB for more complex, organic stuff.
  • dur23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dur23 polycounter lvl 19
    I tinkled a little when i saw that video.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey all.

I just gave the first 3 videos a second look and noticed something.

During the second one (detail paint 01), when the guy starts painting, he first paints diffuse info (scaley leather bag style) that he picks from a texture he loads. Later on he turns on the bump, mich makes the material much more believable.

BUT, when he does that he mentions that the bump layer in an instanced copy of the diffuse layer. He then goes on painting that rocky texture, same effect.

Which means that the bump effect shown on that videi is just a greyscaled version of the diffuse - hence not a real material made out of multiple maps. What is the point?

Hence my question to experienced Modo201 users : is it possible to use an actual material (made out of real separated maps : diffuse, spec, bump) as a paintbrush? Or are you limited to instanced copy of one base texture?

Thanks!
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    instanced means that when you paint 1 map, you paint on all the other instanced copies too.

If you use 'real' maps, which you can, you cant paint them all at the same time.

However, painting with a texture is like painting a layer mask (alpha map that reveals the texture) in PS so... theoretically you can paint a grayscale, set it to alpha and group the other images (color/bump etc maps) to it.
    Downside would be that you wouldn't be able to resize the size the texture is projected with since its just a different map, not part of the brush anymore.

Likewise, if you like playing McGyver, painting with a texture in modo will always paint 100% opaque, the actual transparency is stored in the alpha channel of the texture (unless you use file formats that dont support alpha channels), or unless you fill the empty texture with a solid color before beginning to paint.
    So... you could when done go to PS and just replace the color, bump or specmap for a 'real one'. If you dont change the alpha channel the brush stroke and transparency would look the same.

*I take no responsability for any injuries suffered from doing any of this, the info is based on my experience, and i dunno everything (yet)... and cant test it right now.