Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Game Art portfolio update

polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
sanhueza polycounter lvl 17
Rise_and_Fall_persians.jpg

Hola,

This is my first post on polycount. I just updated my portfolio website with new goodness that I'd like to share! I've added pics of character models I made while working at Stainless Steel Studios on the game "Rise & Fall: Civilizations at War"
At some point I'll add a reel of character animation I did for the game as well. Probably after I get back from my volunteering excursion in India.

Here's the link to my portfolio: www.sanhueza.com

And a link to the game: Rise & Fall

Enjoy!

- Me

Replies

• rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    pretty hot stuff man I like the style
  • Dark Sepiroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Sepiroth polycounter lvl 17
    hi DAVID L. SANHUEZA
    I like ja portfolio art site. looks nice and clean.
    also.
    Your work is nice too laugh.gif props.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    definitely strong work, glad to see you posting. You look like a can-do kind of artist that would be fairly valuable on a team for what needs gettin' done smile.gif

as for the portfolio, i refer you to the Jon Jones article that's stickied in the GD forum: http://boards.polycount.net/showflat.php?Cat=0&Number=73945&an=0&page=0#73945

specifically, some (though not all) of the thumbnails need to be changed. most of your 3d character headshots are ok, because we get an idea of what we're going to be seeing, but any of the ones that don't really give an idea of what you're going to be seeing need to go. for the flats, i'd make sure to zoom back enough so that it's clear that you're going to be seeing a flat. you don't necessarily have to make the thumbnails larger, just make sure they're more clear.

the 2D section's thumbnails need to be completely redone. that mouseover blur stuff is just going to be a dealbreaker to some tired person who has been looking at portfolios all day, and just don't have the patience or will to reveal what each sketch is.

hard to say it, but most of the 2D section needs to be culled. every piece in your portfolio helps to paint a picture of you as an artist, and often times it can paint the wrong picture. you've got 24 pieces of 2D art, when probably 6 or fewer are worth showing in a portfolio.

so concentrate on your strong points--the 3D is the show here, 2D needs to be much smaller. Fix all the thumbnails to make them helpful instead of obscure. i'm not so hot on the misspelled section links, either: i know it's an intentional touch of whimsy, but it doesn't exactly inspire professional confidence. hope this helps.
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    Well said Gauss.
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    yeah what gaussypoo said,
    you have some really great 3d models from Civilizations at War, but some of those sketches are less than average.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Hey, solid work!

I think you would also benefit from displaying your thumbs in full color right from the start. Switching from BW thumbs, to color mouseover, to color images, and then back to BW is kindof headhurting in my opinion.

Quite similarly the darker shade under 'skeches' sortof looked like an annoying reflection that made me squint a little - yet that might be because I was browsing on a dark, unstable laptop screen.

Can't wait to see more! And welcome on board wink.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Hey, nice work. I had a post all typed up but then IE crashed...

I'd say you should only present work you did where possible. For those models where you did not make the texture, I'd only present a flat shaded view + wires overlay. I realize you've responsibly given credit where it's due, but I still think its important to show your work and your work only.

I would also echo what others have said about removing most of the 2d art. It doesn't serve you well. Nor does the Hi-Rez 3d art, for the most part. 1/2 of those pieces I was left thinking "What the hell is that supposed to be?" and thats not good.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    I'd scrap the sketches page altogether and just have a nice, redone 3D area. Listen to gauss.
  • sanhueza
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sanhueza polycounter lvl 17

Thanks for the thorough, honest critiques!!! I'm glad you guys like my work. I'm a little surprised that so much attention was given to my site design, but I guess I should feel good if that's the weakest part of my portfolio! When reviewing art-tests and portfolios at work, the other artists and I never really cared about web design, and just focused on critting applicants' actual artwork. Perhaps we're just more forgiving in that area than some.

gauss - gracias for the indepth response! My main focus is on character animation, but I do enjoy modeling and texturing when it's needed, especially to break up the routine. Thanks for pointing out that Jon Jones article, really interesting! Some things in the article I don't agree with, but still, it's very useful. Good point about the thumbnails. When I originally designed my site a few years ago, I chose that style to be "artsy." In the future I'll make new thumbnails more readable. The blury rollovers on the sketches page will stay - they give me a nice fuzzy feeling inside... You're right about my 2d work not being at the same level as my 3d work. Because I'm not seeking a job as a concept artist, the sketches section simply serves to show that I have a background in traditional art, which many employers find valuable. I will cull out the weaker pieces as I scan in more recent (and better) drawings.

pior - just as with the blury rollovers, the black-and-white to color rollovers give me a warm fuzzy feeling. smile.gif

ScoobyDoofus - I often feel the same way about seeing only the exact work an artist has done in their portfolio. It's especially annoying/confusing on VFX reels, when you see full clips from the latest cool action movie, and the only part the artist did was a few sparks and smoke at the corner of the screen... For all of the Rise & Fall models on my site I plan to add wireframe rollovers on the image pages. As far as the Hi-Rez 3d pieces go, it's okay if you don't know what they're supposed to be. They're art!

AdamBrome - like I said, the 2d page isn't as important as the 3d page, but it helps paint a picture of my full range of skills and interests, so I'm keeping it.

This was my first time posting on polycount, and the responses I got were much harsher than what I'm used to. I usually post on CGTalk and CGChat, and mostly what I get there are a bunch of pats on the back mixed with the occasional serious critiques. But you guys... you throw snowballs with rocks in them! That's not a complaint, though, since harsh critiques only help me to get better at what I love. Thanks very much, I'll let you know when I finish adding new stuff to my site. Peace!

- me
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'd lose the pop up windows, they tend to annoy people.

Also, in the same vein, it is impossible for you to send someone a bookmark to a particular piece of work.