Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

2.3k female - critique appreciated

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
aniceto polycounter lvl 18
this is mostly a texturing exercise for me(me = newbie). i chose a concept with stuff ive never textured before - feminine face/arms and leather pants.

girlwip4.jpg

*edit* i know the arms just look like smudges and the anatomy is a little dodgy. just got some reference so i can confidently go ahead and repaint them grin.gif

anyone have advice for painting leather? ive got plenty of reference, just need to make a start smirk.gif

Replies

• Manic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Manic polycounter lvl 18
    its probably not the best way, but i tend to dodge and burn the basic folds and lines on, then go back over it with a textured brush to add a bit of variation
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    its probably not the best way, but i tend to dodge and burn the basic folds and lines on, then go back over it with a textured brush to add a bit of variation

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah thats sort of how i do it as well, except i sketch the folds first, then instead of dodge and burn i just use black and white on a new layer.
    i get the fabric texture by using a photo of that fabric and multiplying it over the top.

but until now ive only painted jeans.... cool.gif but i suppose its the same process, im just procrastinating because ive never done leather before grin.gif
  • Vailias
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vailias polycounter lvl 18
    black leather?

Start the same way as you do your normal fabric, keeping in mind that leather is heavier so it folds differently. You'll want to somewhat exagerate the highlights (ie use some pure white) as a black leather texture overlay/multiply will take them down a lot, but also you want the texture only to show on the highlights, hence the need for nearly white. The shadows will remain fairly featureless. You may also want to add an additional highlight layer and paint very lightly with a sky blue and ground brown over the proper highlights in your map to add to the realism. Leather tends to reflect its environmental colors in its specular highlights moreso than other fabrics.
    personal Example
    I'm quite happy with the leather on her. I'll see if I can dig up the flats when I get back home.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    That's some nice unwraping there. Great start!
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    [ QUOTE ]
    i sketch the folds first, then instead of dodge and burn i just use black and white on a new layer.
    i get the fabric texture by using a photo of that fabric and multiplying it over the top.

[/ QUOTE ]
    I do the same thing. For leather, you want to Make REALLY exaggerated fold and shine. What I find to be a really cool effect is to add a slight clouds texture to it. Then add tiny cracks and pinches in appropriate areas.

Like this:
    Leather Bag

Leather's not just black. Well... it is... but in artwork I don't think flat black looks as cool as a really deep brown leather ^^

NOTE: My leather jacket doesn't shine at all (I bought it like that). It's like an Indiana Jones type thing. If you make the pants ragged and used, you won't need shine at all.

Ragged Leather
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    can you release this as an SDK? Would be fun!
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    good advice vailias, hadnt really thought of some of that stuff. i was thinking of more of a dull leather, so theres not much of a specular in it yet.
    at the moment it looks more like suede so ill have to keep working on it. wink.gif

Zergxes: thank you, ive been working on my unwrapping skills lately. theres a pretty good thread on unwrapping over at cgtalk, and poop made a good video tutorial on the subject

Corry Frydlewicz: that jacket kicks ass! i tried to emulate it in the texture but i need more of a highlight and maybe even a bit of hue variation

hawken: as soon as i find a host smile.gif

girlwip5.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I'll host it for you, send it over
  • snap.crackle.pop
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snap.crackle.pop polycounter lvl 18
    Good work aniceto, lovely girl and nice volumes.
  • aniceto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks Hawken, just sent it to your gmail account.

snap.crackle.pop: glad you like it smile.gif

i worked on the legs a bit and rigged her(badly)
    girl7.jpg
  • Corry Frydlewicz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Corry Frydlewicz polycounter lvl 17
    Pants look ALOT better Aniceto ^^

Might wanna make the belt a slightly different color or maybe a different material from the pants

She needs a bigger butt!!! And show some bellybutton!!! XD *drool*
  • Dark Sepiroth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dark Sepiroth polycounter lvl 17
    yeah pants have alot more detail now. it looks cool.
    Maybe the shirt is a little bit too "noisy" but it could
    be something of your style.

the model is also nice laugh.gif
    props