Home Contests & Challenges Archives

Polycount - Generals - rv_el

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
rv_el polycounter lvl 18
I am posting because i am joining in the fight. I know what i want to do and can see it in my head, i just have to start getting it out on paper. I need to finish up what i'm currently working on, then i can get into the general more and hopefully i'll have something up here instead of this sad text, soon.

He will be a brutal general, most likely elderly and wise, yet still very physically strong with large mass. Its going to be a bit different and i hope it will work out well for the competition. I have thought about back story and even battle tactics etc...

Replies

• poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    OMG YES!!! rv_el for the win! Come on dude, don't let me down, I wanna see some looovin.

poop.gif
  • Miguelito
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Miguelito polycounter lvl 18
  • Parnell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Parnell polycounter lvl 18
    hey post something dude!
    I want to SEE this idea you mentioned over on my thread:)
    B
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, i've been busy with work but i've gotten a lot of the concept stuff done.

Here is some story:

----
    General Olahbrachen is a humanoid-starfish hybrid (Ohctalites) capable of controlling and flocking thousands to even millions of soldiers in an intense closed city or open sea field of battle. Being amphibious they can carry about on land and Olahbrachen is one of few generals who will brave it, often for flanking or surprise maneuvers. He comes from a long line of an elite breed and is only second in respects to “Olahvolous” meaning “The Epic One”; the self pro-claimed source of their entire existence.

General Olahbrachen can control kelp and maneuver them around his arena, pulling them in at times to wrap himself in an armor of kelp or pushing them out to bludgeon an enemy or tie them down. Outside of the kelp armor it is not uncommon for him to wear the traditional dual-tone Obsidian and Abalone armor, to protect the more vital (humanoid) and less regenerative parts of his body.

Backstory

The vicious cycle that is the Ohctalites existence is that they do not know who they are, or why they are here. This disposition alone presses deep within their conscience, pushing them into extremes of faith, prejudices, nihilism, superstition, and ignorance. Though they have come far, primarily in numbers, the Ohctalites still exist in a semi primitive or medieval state. There has been no real need for technological improvement since the biological and ethereal have appeared to be their best means to bring an end. Their greatest ability is that they can regenerate. Not only do they regenerate fallen limbs back, but the fallen limb regenerates (over time) a whole new Ohctalite. Battlefields scattered with the bodies of fallen soldiers only come back to reinforce the tribe. Fatal death comes from incineration or incredibly fatal blows to the head and humanoid body areas. The longevity of these creatures outlasts their psychological capability, pushing many of them to suicide. The reproduction of these creatures is simple much like many other creatures. Mating rituals exist between a male and a female that produce a number of offspring. In the Ochtalite culture it is looked down upon to purposely reproduce by severing a limb. This practice called Coliling meaning “Cyclic-Rebirth” is considered sacrilege. The military have been secretly using this for ages in order to refine their ranks. Olahbrachen himself has a slight scar that he hides where he has reproduced his son who will carry on in his place if he ever fell. Olahbrachen claims that his tentacle was severed in battle long ago. This process of Coliling creates quick, sturdy, and docile “Colilites” that retain, in partial, the skills and attributes of the donor. But much like incest these offspring can yield odd side effects; a degeneration of gene structure. It is theorized that while though the envelope is opening for stronger elite soldiers, this will soon close with the overabundance of Colilites taking over the population. It is theorized that this degeneration will spin the evolution cycle into itself until all that remains is the likes of a simple common starfish, that can be represented by an Ohctalite holding up its hand. This gesture is forbidden by the empowering military regime, yet today soldiers, on parade, catch civilians pointing the gesture at them; a gesture punishable by death, as it represents not only the nullification of the Ohctalites ends, but proves the ever-growing yet still unpopular disbelief of their source – Olahvolous

General Olahbrachen now possesses incredible power and numbers to overwhelm any enemy. With the dominance war just ahead, Coliling has been put into overdrive and General Olahbrachen is confident he will bring home the win.
    ----

Its pretty ill concieved but i had fun with it.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    These images might come out too dark on your monitor. For instance in the painting with the ocean there should be buildings in the back ground and little blobs of people in the bottom left hand corner. My monitor has degraded over years and i dont get very dark darks. I showed it to my brother and he says the whole background is just black on his screen frown.gif. I might be able to make adjustments when i get to work monday.

Head Concept profile
    headportrait.jpg

Armor
    headportraitarmor.jpg
    The armor was a bit of a rush job but basically its Obsidian and Abalone. Obsidian backing with shiney abalone shells over the top.

Full Concept -

CLICK FOR LARGE VERSION
    olahbrachenconceptscreen.jpg
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Orthos
    headorthos.jpg

Some concept sketches

sketch1.jpg
    sketch2.jpg
    sketch3.jpg
    sketch4.jpg

Some design and details will surely change in the 3d version that i couldn't get out in the concepts. Primarily the trident will get a full going over for details and what not.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    wow, brilliant.. we need a sea general too
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    You just made my day. That concept is kicking man. I really love his lower body and the tentacly bit. You're general will kick modeling man's sea general any day! w00t w00t

poop.gif
  • fogmann
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    fogmann polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, the concepts are utterly beautiful. I love the shiny blue dot pattern a lot. Also, the face has lots of personality, fantastic job!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    oh shit i forgot to mention.. poop, your original comment got my ass in gear. I got all pumped up and couldn't wait to get some stuff done and up on the board. I'm all excited and hope to put a lot of time into the final model. I've been watching the comp closely... this is the coolest damn competition.
    thank man!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I'm going to be working in some more armor, atleast for the final. Probably armor weighted to one side opposite that of the one that holds his trident and primarily in the human parts of his body; which are the only part he should protect anyways. I'm still thinking of the armor in detail but it will have some kelp strappage etc..

I really hope to cut it with 5k polys. plus 1024 for all of that INC. the freakin trident. i might do the body first and see what i can get away with there then try to do the armor with what i have left. The bulk must be removeable armor, i dont want to permanently cover his features up.

I'll start modeling soon.

Edit: Holy shit! Its due on the 8th! i thought it was due on the 24th. i better get crackin!
  • Timex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Timex polycounter lvl 18
    rv_el the model rocks laugh.gif
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    I have been sitting my cousin, so i have to use my laptop to work, and i managed to just eek out the trident. I will be detailing this with some bump maps etc.. kelp strapped around the handle, roughed up blade edges etc..

I wont be back to my computer till friday. Hopefully i can bust out over the weekend.

trident.jpg
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    This is sort of a simulation of the difference between my home monitor and my work monitor. My work one should be properly calibrated.. i loaded it up in photoshop and did a levels adjusment on it to try to get it close to what it looks like on my home monitor.

I have no idea what its like on your end but on the second image, you might be making out a lot more colors etc.. etc.. depending on your calibration

Original Image
    headportraitarmor.jpg

Adjusted based on my work monitor
    simulation.jpg
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    This is some bits and pieces of zbrushed objects. high poly rendered in max. I have the normal map pretty much done and am working on sharing UV's and recompositing some stuff. I am working on the armor right now.

zhead.jpg
    zpieces2.jpg
    zpieces1.jpg
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    That looks awesome! Your concept is so well rendered, I had no doubt you'd create a fantastic model from it.
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    That's great, Rv_el! Terrific mix of detail and nice, flowing forms. This is going to be an amazing entry!

For the sake of constructive criticism, I'll mention a couple things that look odd to me. The elbow seems to be too low down on the arm, it seems like he might have trouble bending at the joint. The paper-thin nose also seems strange considering the bulk of the character. I like the design, but it might need a bit more thickness.

That's about all I can do. Eagerly awaiting more updates smile.gif.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the comments and crits guys!

Here are some work in progresses - i dont know how dark they are coming up for everybody else. i hope to do some adjustments on the finals at work on monday right before i submit.

Going with removable armor was insane, but i think it will be super cool in the end. I'll probably have him with armor for the final victory pose and then i suppose with out for like a beauty.

Tomorrow i'm going to do a ghetto rig to pose him. Keep working on him and polishing the render, fix seams.. change stuff around. Put some work into the pedastal. now its time for bed.

wip1.jpg
    wip2.jpg

some renders i liked and saved while working.
    wip3.jpg
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    that looks frickin' awesome! really nice work, very original and stylish! smile.gif
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, this came together great. I love the color and design. Striking!
  • Snowfly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snowfly polycounter lvl 18
    Nice style! I see you have a whole series of these sea creature/human hybrids on your site. Hitting two birds with one stone, eh? smile.gif
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    where the hell did that suddenly come from! blush.gif
    sum bad-ass specular work, the whole character has really turned out fantastic, I was going to make a crit about the eyes seeming too big in comparison with the concept but the pic of him wearing the helmet armour makes me think otherwise.
    The only thing that bugs me is the intensity of the lip's colour.

Hope u bring that funky little seabed base further up into the final image, I completely missed it at first.

Top notch work :]
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys

I know what you mean about the eyes, and the fact that they glow doesn't help it. I will probably fudge around with the lips and eyes a little bit after i get the pose and everything squared away. I just started crapping out the base right before i posted.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    holy crap. great job!
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks

When we go to submit (send the email) what do they want? Zip of TGA's. Zip of Jpgs?

Correct me if i'm wrong, I think the time conversion in California is 3pm on monday.

I'm finding that my guy isn't too good for the 400x800h setup. He's really wide and i have his arms out with the trident and everything. Still looks cool and i can fit the whole trident head in, but he doesn't fill the frame smirk.gif
  • RE3456
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RE3456 polycounter lvl 18
    wow this looks really awesome, good job! Btw I'm also having trouble fitting my character into 400x800 set up frown.gif
  • vahl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vahl polycounter lvl 18
    very cool work man, like that colorful look smile.gif
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, adjusting for my work monitor.. whats looking better? you should be able too see the sea are in the bottom right and left of the character.. it shouldn't be pitch black. Let me know whats up.. I'll probably be submitting the lighter one really soon
    thanks
    WinningPose.jpg
    WinningPose.jpg
  • Wells
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wells polycounter lvl 18
    I like the second, lighter one.

This entry has really impressed me, and is the perfect reply to the sea-horse general CGChat has.
  • Devoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Devoid polycounter lvl 17
    Well on my crazy dark lcd at work the sea disappears on the first. I'd composite the guy and base out of the top onto the background of the second. Also you might want to think about changing the pose of his left arm (holding the trident)the twisting action is making the transition from bicep to forarm look really awkward
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    yeah its not pefect... nobody ever twists a game characters arms upwards for a reason smile.gif.. every damn pose i see for every comp the characters arms are down or like forward at the most, and then they probably hand adjust points etc.. too smile.gif. I just had to have them up for the "winning pose".
  • PieXags
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PieXags polycounter lvl 17
    Hot shit man, I really really enjoy this entry. One of my favorites most definately. The concept knocked me off my feet, and I'm happy to see you pulled it off so well in the end. The second one looks perfect on my screen, the lighter one. Good stuff man.
  • KlockWerk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KlockWerk polycounter lvl 17
    Hey Rv_el very nice job on the model. Glad you were able to finish. Your final piece with the background worked out really well.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!

Klockwerk: Thanks man.. its cool that we got finished with a steady job and all that.

I'm taking a break from this dude for a bit, but i still plan on getting out a few things i couldn't in the process.. a render of just the model with normal/bump mapping. Renders of the back etc... and some 360 spins.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    it's unique, as usual, and clean. great work rv_el.
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
  • Zcubed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zcubed polycounter lvl 18
    Congratuations, rv el, this turned out great! One of my favorite entries in the whole competition. The concept was awesome to begin with, and it's translation into 3D is impeccable.

What happened to the underwater clash with Modeling Man's entry? It would be really cool to see two high calibur generals duking it out. grin.gif
  • rv_el
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rv_el polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks man.
    ah, yeah, i never got the stuff from him. I might have time on the weekend for it still.