Home Technical Talk

UV-map seperate object?

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
Uhh I guess this is a pretty stupid question but I just noticed that the UV map seems to be almost completely unrelated to the original mesh, somehow... and I am unsure of the consequences.

Ok hard to explain what I mean, so I will explain how I noticed it:
I want to make LODs for a completly done and unwrapped model, and as the texture position is pretty much preserved while welding faces in Wings3D this is a quick way to get things done I though.
But then I noticed the oddity that the UV map doesn't reflect the changes to the mesh at all (even after exporting to .obj/3ds and reimporting) and stays 'high' poly all the time confused.gif
I always though the UV map was a bend direct representation of the base mesh (with basicly fixed 2D coordinates), thus deleting (not moving) faces from it it would modify the UV map, but this doesn't seem to be the case (or is it some Wings3D hick-up or oddity of the model?).

So is the UV map in reality a almost completely unrelated flat mesh? And what are the consequences for doing LODs?
Do I have to redo the unwrapping for each LOD to get the best results (As the point of LODs is polygon reduction, which should be reflected on the UV mesh also, right?).

Damn I always though I knew this stuff... frown.gif
Could someone clear this up for me?

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno about 3ds but in Blender UV coordinates are properties of the polygons (in OpenGL they're properties of the vertices). Perhaps Wings doesn't remove the welded polygons in order to keep the UVmap intact. Try importing into Blender and see how it looks. Try running a remove doubles over it.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Ok, my bad... this thread can be closed (duh I feel stupid) frown.gif

After messing a bit with Blender (hey I am starting to get the interface...maybe I will like it sometimes soon smile.gif )
    I realized that I was just stupid and didn't realize the geometry was mirrored (didn't make the model myself) and I only editied one side which was hard to see in the UV editor of Wings3D (didn't look as closely as in Blender though confused.gif).

Thus it is all like I always though and I feel sooo dumb right now wink.gif

Well let this be a warning to the kids, to never quickly post something you have a bad feeling about right in the beginning (I knew I was just stupid somehow).