Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

SSX Low Poly Lovin'

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Pseudo polycounter lvl 18
The CGChat comp got me inspired, so I decided to give some of the SSX characters some low poly lovin.

The concept is by Mandryk.

boarderpunk_small.JPG

And here's the model so far. He's at exactly 350 polys.

ssx_ds2.jpg

ssx_ds1.jpg

UVs are next.

I really want to add the wallet chain on the side, but I'm worried that with the low rez alpha it will look silly, and I dont think it will be visible from far away.

*Ninja Edit* - Killed off the symetry.

ssx_ds3.jpg

Replies

• Toomas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toomas polycounter lvl 18
    Looking goob but i would add a loop on hes belly, otherwise you might have some serious deformation issues (the torso will collapse when he bands backwards and as it is snowboarding char i would think he will have to bend quite a bit).
    You can get the polys you need from the hair (you can just alpha it and use 3 quads for the mesh) or lose the belt.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Excellent point, thanks Toomas.
  • Pseudo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Texture progress for tonight.

ssx_ds4.jpg

It's currently a 256, so I'd need to cut it in half.

The t-shirt and pants are cloned from the concept art.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Looks cool Pseudo!
    I would lose the alpha channel on the hair and just use the polys for their shape. That way they stay really spikey and pixely.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    The model looks pretty decent. I'd say go with 3 tri spikes for the hair. Also, thin up that jaw.

As for the texture, You should really paint your own rather than copy/pasting the concept art. Not only is that lazy it's also illegal.

EDIT: I just noticed that you mentioned copying from the concept art. Although you're not trying to fool anybody, I'd still advise against doing it.
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Depending on what I am doing i use a lot of concept fudgery in my lowlow poly work. I guess in this case you are not affiliated with the concept artist more than likely so its bad form, but there's not much wrong with utilizing assets at your disposal in production.
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Neat, its Psymon! I know Daryl Mandryk he has teh concept skillzzzss.