Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Particle effects scenes (ideas needed)

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
flaagan polycounter lvl 18
particle effects

It's been suggested to me (numerous times) that I create scenes to better show off my particle effects, so, based on what you see on the page linked above, would appreciate ideas / input on what to make. Feel free to suggest other effects that would work well together with the existing ones. I'm not looking to make a *whole* level for just one or two effects, but an isolated thing... an example being:
for the flower petals, taking an existing tree in UT2k4, adding a few planes of petals onto the tree, and then putting the particle effect around it, then around the base of the tree, a small mound with some grass / dirt texture on it.. light that and call it done.

Replies

• Soccerman18
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Soccerman18 polycounter lvl 18
    I tried opening them but I keep getting a message saying that the required compressor could not be found or downloaded from the quicktime server, is there some fancy codec that you're using?
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    It opened for me...then crashed firefox. mad.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Hmmm, they all worked for me.

Some of the scenes seem out of place, but they do help demonstrate the movement. Example: Dandelions coming out of a wall wink.gif
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Im getting the same problem as soccerman confused.gif
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Moon Rotation: Low framerate.

Solar System: Very choopy, the compression is really hurting the astroid belt. Maybe you should add Saturnus whoosing part the camera with its own rings moving around it.

Glow Balls: Choppy. Lacks punch, if you can, try to add some sort of acceleration and a warp bang (just check some space scifi for ideas).

Monarch Butterflies: One extra frame would be great, and the flapping animation has to be way faster.

Dandelion Seeds: Needs a field or more natural space to truly shine. Some changing wind strenghts would add a little more to it.

Containment: Good effect.

Maple Seeds: Make them spin faster and fall a little slower.

Maple Leaves: Your best effect, feels natural and there are plenty of leaves to make the tiny bit of wobbling obvious. But again, the compression is hurting your effect.

Sakura Petals: Good effect. If it's at all possible try to make their decent a little more wobbly. like the leaves, and maybe slow them down a bit.

Streetlight Flies: Moody. A little more exaggeration in size and speed should make it even more effective.

Manhole Cover: Feels way to fast like the steam is under much too high pressure. Make particels fade and grow more towards the end of their life. Ugly texture for the cover.

Water Bowls: Choppy, too blue.

Fire Pit: The steamparticles rising from the roast are too similar, too small and too few. Needs to be completly reworked.

Tiki Torch: Not very effective, the particles looks too much alike.

Tiki Statues: Try to make the flames blue for contrast.

Grinding Sparks: Once again, the compression is really screwing this up. Try not to move the camera so much or so suddely, it's not helping your effect.

Foutain Sparks: Impossible to say anything with compression this harsh.

Nuts& Bolts: Hard to say anything about it, strange choice of objects. Way too slow, but if you increase the speed it might be impossible to tell what the objects are.

Bubbles: Could be a little wobblier and slower.

Ideas:
    First of all, do stock foto searches for some of these effects to get more ideas on how to make them behave realistically.
    Lava, if it's possible to make particles intracet, else just use a mesh for it.
    Bottles of flammable liquid shot at with tracers, breaking and and igniting,
    Real tracers, looks round from the fps soldiers view, and streches correctly.
    Burning building, fly-through, tons of smoke and flame.
    Jumping fish with water splashes and ringwaves.
    Butterflies with 3 frames and blurred wings to suggest faster wingbeats.
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Vids are captured with FRAPS, de-codec'd with virtualdub, and then finally output with Quicktime pro... so the only thing you should need is quicktime and that's it.

As for the the compression and framerate, I'm gonna have to play around a bit to try and get something that wont slow to a crawl every time I record. Trust me when I say the quicktime version of this is *much* clearer than when I was using divx or just windows codecs.

cubic: thanks!