Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Shambling season -update!

mod
Offline / Send Message
rooster mod
Ive been off sick today, so I decided to get working on this to take my mind off things. Theres been a lot of shambler models kicking about lately,
and I think its catching tongue.gif. I like the other shamblers, but I had a yearning to see one done in the 'classic' proportions as close to the original as possible,
so thats what I tried. The mouth and feet still need a bit of work, in particular the teeth could do with being widened to remove the gaps.
lemme know what you reckon. (texture is just a placeholder)
btw with the melted looking bits, I'm hoping to texture them like matted fur
http://www.rooster13.plus.com/monsta.gif

Replies

• Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    MMM, pretty! One of my favorite mosters of all time. Make his teeth pointer and more menacing, maybe beef him up a tad too.

Looks GREAT so far!
  • Asthane
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asthane polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome, and totally recognizable as a shambler, though I would have liked to have seen the inside of the mouth modeled, with the teeth free standing rather than just a relief. Still though, looks great smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Lovin' the body here, man ... nice work on the matted fur too, I think that effect will work well once it's completed.

I'd like to see some more work done around the ankles and feet - make the ankles a bit less like basic circles, and maybe get some toe detail in there?

IMHO this would look 100x awesomer if you just made his mouth a cavern, brought it back into Max (or whatever program) and added sub-d EPoly teeth, rather than trying to sculpt everything in ZBrush.

Keep it up, it's making me all nostalgic smile.gif
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    I think you should drop his shoulders quite some bit. And I agree with mop, I think he needs more indication of a joint in the knee.

Can't wait to see a update.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cheers for the comments smile.gif
    mop: you're spot on as usual- I plan to do a bit more with the feet, but I havent fully decided if I'll add toes or go elephant feet which it leans towards now. Ill have a mess about with it after work. As for the teeth, I'd like to do that, only thing put me off is that I'll have to take a massive poly model into max which I'm not sure how well my 'puter will handle, and I don't know how to generate normals in max yet. Still, have to find out sooner or later eh?

cep, I'll try the shoulder thing to see how it looks but my ref looks like his shoulders are pretty high and his head hunched low into the chest rather than sticking up high, so I'm trying to keep to a similar silhouette. Definately will give it a shot though
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Why not just make some teeth in max then export them to Zbrush and merge with your model there? You could generate your normal maps in ZBrush too if you wanted.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Hit me up on MSN, I can tell you some handy tips (mostly stolen from Arshlevon wink.gif ) on how to move stuff between Max and ZBrush effectively, and for rendering normal-maps in Max (which is pretty damn easy - although that ZMapper plugin for ZB looks good, I haven't used it yet).

Oh yeah, and elephant feet was what I was thinking ... maybe if you did that style but with slightly sharper toenails?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    zmapper= go to desired resolution mesh, load up the max preset, hit render normal map and bingo- very nice. Of course theres shitloads of techy options in there too.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    hmm, at first I agreed about making the teeth seperate, but after a bit of re-working I'm starting to like them as they are. But- I will make a version with seperate teeth just to learn how to do it
    monsta2.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    right on with the proportions!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    starting texturing:
    still way too many polys on him..will chop some out sometime
    skintone.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    tasty! i'd like to see nipples, like george clooney's batman.
  • MackXX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MackXX polycounter lvl 17
    Wow, that's the best Shambler I've seen on here yet. The recent revision of it is night/day compared to the one at the top, awesome work!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    here's how he stands:
    10144 tris,
    diffuse, normal, spec (w/ gloss) (all 1024)
    3 omnis, scanline render

a bit extravigant, but I didn't really aim for any particular limits. I'll probably have a hack and see how low I can get it

Normal Shambler
    shamb_normal.jpg

Bloody version (as per quake)
    http://www.rooster13.plus.com/shamb_bloody.jpg
  • Downsizer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Downsizer polycounter lvl 18
    It looks great but... it's all one object.. Seperate or hard edge the claws and teeth, as they look welded into the body right now. Same for the toes and back feet claws.

I never really liked the shambler design to start, but I like this. Great work.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Umm... most creatures tend to be all one object... your fingernails are "welded" into your body, right?

I think it looks great, Rooster. I like the bloody version best.

I reckon you could get this guy down to 2000-3000 triangles without losing too much detail. Bear in mind that most of the Doom3 and Quake4 models are 1000-2500 tris.
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    yeah you dont want seperate objects with normal maps most of the time. the hard edge would make it blaringly obvious that its not round and its made out of polies with all the hard edges. i think the normals on the nails do a good job of hiding the fact that they are low poly.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    This is hands down the best Shamber yet.

Great work!
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    I'd like to see a few different tones on him. Hes all pretty much one color except with the red around the mouth.

Good work though. Looks cool
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    ahh.. look hes got a little tail!
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    cheers for the replies!
    downsizer: You're probably right about the teeth, Im going to leave them this time but next project I'll look at doing it a different way. I quite like the way the claws turned out- I imagine them a bit like really thick keratin/nails with some muscle beneath because he can flex them very slightly.
    mop: yeah I know its way more than it needs to be right now smile.gif just haven't got around to doing that yet tongue.gif
    Irritant: heh cheers man, the others are great though- I hope you other shambler guys are still working on em!
    aesir: that surprised me, as I spent quite a while getting subtle variations in there. Maybe too subtle?
    hawken: I did toy with the idea of doing little baby shamblers..
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    only decent quake1 model seen on polycount. ever! (including those tenebrae days, those were the lol)

SHOVE IT INTO DARKPLACES (ab)USING MD3/DPM smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Good work rooster. I'd personally like to see some evidence of where the lightning comes from, like charred holes in his palms and scorch marks on his fingers.
  • Zergxes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zergxes polycounter lvl 18
    Really nice work.
  • shincartoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shincartoon polycounter lvl 17
    WOW I love the final render