Home General Discussion

Who got an Xbox360 then?

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
I got mine yesterday thanks to preorder through Epic/MS.
I picked up Kameo and Project Gotham racing and spent last night getting it hooked up to the HD and sound system and spent the midnight hours just loving PGR smile.gif

As much as this has been a rushed release with few titles to choose from at release, I'm really enjoying being 'there' from the start as I haven't been since PS1 as I chose the cynical route at the PS2/Xbox launch.

It's a shame DOA4 was delayed, but that will only make for a better game. Anyway, I'm having great fun so far, anyone else?

r.

Replies

• Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    I've got I think five down here, but you knew that. laugh.gif

Frank the Avenger
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    we've had one here in the "creative room" for a few weeks but only with PGR3
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I've got one running on my HDTV. I did notice a framerate drop in 720p from 480p. The machine itself is cool. I had the whole thing installed and running music and viewing pics from my computer in under 15 minutes. It's nice to use art I did as the background.

Perfect Dark Zero is fun single player. Multiplayer is too slow though. Kameo is fun too, but I don't like the style of the characters. I want to get the King Kong game. Maybe if someone is willing to trade for an unopened Kameo or Project Gotham 3?
  • okkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    okkun polycounter lvl 18
    Next time I'm close to a store I'll get myself an early xmas gift.

I haven't seen many games to get me excited yet though. I'll probably get PGR even though I'm not a fan of "arcade" racing games (I designed Rallisport so I guess that makes me a hypocrit but what the hell..).

Did Kameo turn out good? The saturation levels seem out of control.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    I picked mine up this morning with PGR3 and PDZ. Although I've only played PDZ for 5 min, I'm far more impressed with PGR3 right now. I'll be giving them both a good run tonight, though smile.gif
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    Did you get the custom faceplate in your deal? I decided not to company preorder thing, I'll just wait a wee while and maybe borrow one from work.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    MGS employees got a special developer faceplate with some concept art from PGZ, PGR3, and Kameo. It also says, "I MADE THIS" on the USB flap.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I don't care to have one, but my youngest brother does. My mom called to tell me she was up before daylight this morning to buy one, and some kids had camped out overnight, only to discover that particular walmart only had 6 Xbox360's, and only 2 of them had HDD's, which is the one my bro wants for Xmas. The lady at the counter said they MAY get another shipment just before Xmas.

I had to explain to my sleep deprived mother that there is no shortage of XBOX360's. It's just M$ being manipulated bastards as usual. Guess their marketing payed off. All ill-informed media outlets are spewing the shortage headlines. No shortage in Japan. Well planned release date. Nothing like corporate greed to bring out the best of us this season. Only two with their stinkin Harddrive. Merry Christmas.
  • KaosNKorruption
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KaosNKorruption polycounter lvl 18
    Yea, I work at a Toys R' Us and we got a total of 14 deluxe units and 4 core units. We were allowed to reserve 8 units, so we had 6 "real" units to sell. (who wants a core unit?) We had people camp out from when we closed the night before at 10pm.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    played the CoD2 demo in HMV ... well, i say "played" ... i got as far as the truck approaching the town, look agog at the GODAWFUL heat haze "effect" shitting all over the console, manufacturer and developer ... and walked off, avowed not to buy one until they stop with this fucking PC-port-plus-arbitrary-graphical-hike-that-looks-worse-than-before bollocks.
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    Hope everyone is enjoying PGR3 smile.gif I have no idea when I will get to play it :/
  • PaK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PaK polycounter lvl 18
    CONDEMNED !! PERFECT DARK ZERO! omg...

We have a xenon party tonight...I can't wait.

-R
  • arshlevon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    arshlevon polycounter lvl 18
    it was funny i was at target and i ran buy to see if any were left, and all they had was about 50 copies of tiger woods golf!!! LLLOOOOOLL!!! it so funny the whole place looked like a town that had just been raped and pillaged and ol tiger was the ugly chick.. can anyone confirm AA on any of the titles?? the demo games are still jaggy as FEEEE-UccKK
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There defineatly appears to be anti-ailising going on in PDZ and PGR3. I don't see any jaggies at all. It's not the 720p or 1080i resolutions, either. I run Gran Turismo 4 at 1080i, and there's a lot of jaggies. PGR3 is silky, sleek BUTTA, BABY!
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I was tempted to make the rounds and see if I could find one, but I just can't justify buying one of these until I have a good HD TV and a 5.1 setup. Playing the 360 on my current gaming TV (a 14 inch Hitachi that sits next to my CRT) would be lame.

That said, I can't wait to play PDZ...
  • Paul Jaquays
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Paul Jaquays polycounter lvl 18
    I got mine the same way Monster got his (MGS employee). Picked up an extra controller and the wireless net connection and got it all set up last night. Thought Kameo was fun, and PGR3 nicely polished, but I'm not a fan of racers (other than Mario Kart).
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Waiting for the new year to get mine.
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    PGR3 shibuya (tokyo) level blew my socks off
  • Prs-Phil
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    didnt and not going to get one but at the walmart i work at everyone who came in at midnight got one and then they even had enough to hold for the employees that work 3rd shift. i think it was over 40 systems in store that night
  • TelekineticFrog
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TelekineticFrog polycounter lvl 18
    Well I managed to acquire 2 on the tuesday. One I ordered like Monster and others via the Microsoft offer to developers thru my office and the other I earned the old fashioned way...waiting in line. I waited in line in front of a Best Buy near my home from roughly 5pm Monday till 9:00am Tuesday. So about 16 hours straight and that was only to get my voucher ticket saying I was going to be the 7th person in line getting a premium system. I didn't get the box in my hand till about 10:30am. They brought us inside the store at 9am and then made people wait till they called us up 1 at a time by number into the home theatre area of the store to buy it and whatever games / accessories you'd picked up while waiting. I must say it wasn't much fun waiting in line. The comments, questions and jeering by people up until the shopping plaza closed wasn't awful, but the fact that it rained very hard all night and morning in about 24 degree weather with wind sucked something mighty. We had some people try to jump line that showed up like after midnight and the crowd quickly turned on them. We had these four gangsta wannabes come about 1am and harrass some people and skip line. They managed to set a rubbish fire from trash they took from a bin inside a Best Buy plastic shopping cart in front of the store. People began yelling at them and then the fire got out of control because the cart was now just burning and dripping napalm like plastic all over. The idiots then proceeded to push it out into the sidewalk and it hit the wall and splattered on the wall, a tree and the sidewalk flipped over and the fire got big. Somebody called the police and they showed up with the fire dept. very pissed off. The 4 guys who did this wouldn't step forward when the officer (with gun in hand actually) demanded the ones who set the fire step forward. He then said if they didn't everyone was going home immediately. My coworker then pointed at one of them and said officer that mother fucker there set the fire. HAHA One of them tried to then duck out back where we were and I promptly yelled out hey faggot get your ass back up there with your firestarting buddies. The officer grabbed him and the other 3 and removed them. It sucks when people like that have to be monkeys and ruin things for others. Not sure I'll go thru that BS again come PS3 launch. All and all I'm happy to have the 360 and it was worth the trouble. I now have one to give as a hard to get gift for the holidays and one to keep for myself. I picked up PGR3, Perfect Dark Zero, Amped 3, and Kameo along with an extra wireless controller and the VGA connectors for when I travel. I have it hooked up to a Samsung widescreen HDTV and can run all HD formats so I'm good along with optical for surround. I absolutely am loving PGR 3 though. We have Ridge Racer 6 here too so I need to give that a try. So that's my launch day story.
  • Lee3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lee3dee polycounter lvl 18
    I got up at 7:30am when my friend called and said Target, at Triangle town center mall was selling them. Half way there, he called again and said that they were reserved for individuals who were there at night and were sent home to sleep. so I drove home, empty handed.

Now i think about it, the only games I want for the system are Gears of War & Oblivion, both of which are next year. So I can wait laugh.gif

Xbox 360s crashing! Not good for those unlucky ones.
    http://games.slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=05/11/23/138200&from=rss
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    HAHAHAHAHA!! laugh.gif

and these things are going for thousands on ebay.
  • Lee3dee
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    Why break from tradition? The original XBox's were plaqued by the same thing.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Why break from tradition? The original XBox's were plaqued by the same thing.

[/ QUOTE ]

I modded over 100 Xboxs, dealt with them for years, and I wouldn't say they had a stability problem at all, except the Thompson drives that came in the 1.0s and 1.1s.

But it's a bummer to see these new ones having problems. Hopefully the next version will fix it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I haven't had any issues with mine at all, even after a long session last night. No one I know is having issues, either.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I've had my original xbox since it was released, and only had 1 game crash on me, but it crashed repeatedly in the exact same spot. It was a demo for BloodRayne.
    Other than that, its been flawless.

Oh, and a friend broke my DVD remote somehow, but...thats not any sort of manufacturing fault.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There were many problems during the initial release of the first Xbox. If you got a good one, then it lasted, but many others, including my brothers, smoked. Many kiosks around here were blue screened. They appeared to fix the problem in later revisions, but it was a very similar release.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    As for the Xbox360 issues, people have seemed to have found the issue. It's the uber-huge power brick. It gets too hot, and causes the system to lock up/shut down. To resolve this, people have suspended it mid-air with string/rope, and the issue has gone away entirely.

Expect Microsoft to be issuing a recal on our power supplies smile.gif
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hmm, sounds to me more like it's time to start selling power supply coolers wink.gif
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    To resolve this, people have suspended it mid-air with string/rope, and the issue has gone away entirely.

[/ QUOTE ]
    Until the string catches fire. I would use some kind of coated wire.

[ QUOTE ]

Expect Microsoft to be issuing a recal on our power supplies smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    Like they did with the first one. =P
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol pretty much.
    Same with the PS2. My 360's power supply doesnt seem to get hot at all, though. Guess I'm one of the lucky one's smile.gif