Home Technical Talk

PSP Development

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
Does anyone know what kind of polycounts and texture sizes a PSP game can handle? I guess it depends on the type of game. What was the FPS that came out? Coded Arms? Anyone have an idea what polycounts and map sizes where in that? Or know where I could find such information?

Thanks smile.gif

Replies

• lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Textures I don't think should exceed 128x128 no matter what kind of game. Polycount kind of depends on the game and how much you are going to use up for environments and particles.
    From looking at the Ghost in the Shell FPS PSP game that I am playing now I don't think the polycount went much over 1500 for characters with 1 128x128 and in some cases maybe another 64x64 texture for longer hair and such.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    The engine we were using, 64x64 was the max resultion we could use in order to get top performance, many of which were paletted down to 4 bit. So it was multiple 64's for characters, buildings, etc. Charaters were around 1000 polys.

Evironments are all relative to your tech. Our tech was able to load in a large chunk of a level, but cull certain areas that weren't on screen (an alternative method to streaming, since you can't stream off the UMD).

Remeber this is all early tech, and I imagine all these limits will extend once programmers get more experience with the system. It's really not like developing for a PS1 or PS2.
  • SyaPed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SyaPed polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the info Ikraan. Do you know if all these nextgen handhelds have basically the same capabilities?
  • Rick Stirling
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rick Stirling polycounter lvl 18
    It depends on the game, the engine, the coders....

This is one of those how long is a piece of string questions I'm afraid.