Home General Discussion

Minerva - HL2 single player mod - PART 2 OUT NOW!

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
gauss polycounter lvl 18
http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/phosphenes.shtml

it was mentioned on Steam news in July, but now the first "episode" is out, basically just one level. played at an optimal speed (don't rush it!) it should take about an hour or so... it's basically a professional grade level, definitely on par with Valve's HL2 levels, with a few tweaks. namely, at certain points you receive text messages that tell you where to go as well as provide some nice color and description to the proceedings. there's also some new music which fits in well. it's only 14 megs and it really is professional grade design.

personally i'd like to see more episodic content like this--yes, this "episode" is rather short, but what if more people released work episodically? then we could have a fairly steady stream of content by playing the different episodes, if they were staggered well. it's actually pretty inspiring--i put in a good amount of work on a single player level that i let fall by the wayside, but now i might seriously consider finishing it up. having a concrete, fairly-short term goal really helps out. it's almost a kind of panacea for the bloat and too-lofty goals of most modding. thoughts?

edit: part two just came out, i'm downloading now. pretty excited actually. Part two comes with part one, so if you didn't play part one, this is the time to get on board!

Replies

• Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    I just felt like commenting on the idea of episodes for mods. I couldn't agree with you more! I think setting short term goals would make the production of a mod, not only more effiecient, but probably up the quality of it, because instead of having people work on every single bit of content you can think up of, you just have a small list of things needing to be done.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    A game developer I know wants games to be shorter and more episodic. That you would create it more like a serial "to be continued" basis. $20 a pop for each "segment".

Its good in that it can draw customers who will want to know "what happens next". Its also bad, because you cant have varied game speed as much. Its like watching a fast series of your favorite show, and then they always have that one or two episodes that slow down and thus you loose interest.

In other words, there cant be a true beggining, middle, end. There will be short repeats of each for the episodes. So the writing cant involve a players as deeply. The story will invariable have to be less complex. Especially in this case since the content will be broken up over months.

Anyhow. FINISH THAT LEVEL GAUSS.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    oxy: well, for one, certainly for the majority of games out there, we'll continue to see the same development as we've always seen, and two, for what we're talking about--mods and other smaller-scale content, i think it's an ideal system. because a mod that actually gets made is always going to be superior to the ones that don't. and as far as pacing goes, while it's true that that problem can occur, there are far more parallels to successful tv shows that balance an episodic structure with both short and long term story considerations.

not that they handled the long term all that well, but think of the x-files: many of the best episodes were one-offs, as in "Mulder and Scully investigate such and such." basically, not too different from an episode of Scooby Doo. you can concentrate on resolving things well on a short term basis, which means you have to make sure the level (or small level set) is satisfying on it's own terms. but you can continue to build on that with longer running currents.

the author of Minerva is currently working on parts 2 and 3, and when 2 is released there will be an option to play it packaged with this first level, with a few tweaks that incorporate feedback/fix minor bugs. just like a comic author takes a monthly book and then at the end of the year could theoretically compile it into a complete graphic novel, i don't see why this isn't a good idea especially for the mod community.

seeing as how every mod is likely to be roughly 1000% more difficult to actually finish as those making it suspect it is, more reachable goals is a benefit for most everyone, the modders and the audience.

and thanks for the reminder. i do need to finish it. smile.gif
  • eXpendabLe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eXpendabLe polycounter lvl 18
    Just played it and it was good. I haven't played a single player mod in God knows when. Anyway, I might take a stab at this since it's mostly level design and I'm fairly familiar with source mapping.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    you should. OMG WE SHOULD GET TOGETHER AND MAKE A MEGAWAD

laugh.gif

10 points to anyone old enough to actually remember what a "megawad" is smile.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    don't even start with that hipster lingo bullshit, mate! smile.gif
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    tried it out and thought it was pretty cool, I stopped playing when I went down the elevator to headcrab land, I really hate those buggers and I have to be in the right mood to deal with 'em.
  • DeathTrip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DeathTrip polycounter lvl 18
    ^lol me too. After seeing the headcrap and the message, I thought to myself "screw this, i'll finish it later".

As far as the episodic content goes, Kuma(which i might get a job at) has been doing it succesfully, they're up to their 57th mission.
    http://www.kumawar.com/
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    There's very few headcrabs from what I recall from my playthrough, so you sure hate them headcrabs.

Anywho, Metastasis was definitely a cool little map, and the music track was also very moody and well done. I only wish it were a little longer. I hope episodic releases catch on since I'd love to see more single player campaigns.

P.S. Blogosphere
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    One problem I see with episodic content is that it forces you to make the episodes rather easy so everybody can beat them and won't stop buying episodes because they couldn't finish the last one. At least the suits will insist on that.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Im not sure I'd agree with that logic kdr. I'd imagine that if I bought/DLed a short hour long game, I'd be willing to replay a hard part quite a few times because I know its so close to being done. Like how we all will re-do a hard boss fight 20 times just to beat the fucker.
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Wow, just played up to when you get out of the basement area. That's one hot item right there. Can't wait to get back in to it.

EDIT: The area I mentioned above it "headcrap land". I didn't see a single one down there.

Thanks for the headsup Jacko.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    The tightest mod style I've ever seen in this guy, Brendon Chung: http://www.planethalflife.com/blended/.

He takes a simple set of ideas, builds a map around those, done. He's got enough style that he's actually trying to tell a story with each map, such that the flavor and details make them into mods on their own. I like it.

/jzero
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    "Headcrap"? Jumps at you and turns you into a pothead?
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    10 points to anyone old enough to actually remember what a "megawad" is

[/ QUOTE ]

Doom2X wink.gif Sometimes wished there was more to the megawads, as often there'd be no story. But then most of the Doom/Wolf mods didn't. That's something I sorely miss nowadays.

You don't see many single player episodes and the developers of them don't concentrate on the player experience but rather a case of the old Doom tactic of seeing how many enemies can be thrown at you at once.

Antilion Deuce is a very good example of this. I would've loved them to expand this into a Half-Life 2 parody of Starship Troopers, rather than a simple kill as many as you can until you die thing.

I really liked games like Unreal 2, and Perfect Dark because you feel your part of a story. Rather than just randomly killing because you have to.

Most people seem to keep telling me there's a story in Half-Life 2; but about the only story I see is when they're trying to explain the transition from one area to another. There's no real big overall story there, aside from the g-man's cryptic message at the end. Doom 3 is the same, making you feel like your just trying to survive rather than striving towards a goal.

Can't was I was too impressed by this particular mod. Not because the design or concept was bad, but just that I found myself bored after 10minutes.

I miss levels like USS Darkstar. Would be awesome to see that remade using the new physics and AI of enemies.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    megawad = a full 32 levels replacing all of doom2's maps.

I miss REAL episodic games, that last a good while and being replayable, i.e. 8-10 levels.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    bumping because part two was just released!

http://www.hylobatidae.org/minerva/phosphenes.shtml

downloading it now.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Hey thanks for the heads up gauss. Bizarrely I was just d/ling this as I saw your post! http://www.fileplanet.com/159596/150000/fileinfo/Half-Life-2---Mistake-Of-Pythagoras-Mod
    So I'll check this out too. You cant beat free professional quality content!
  • adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • flaagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flaagan polycounter lvl 18
    Short, but definitely sweeeeeet.