Home Technical Talk

The elusive Quake3 '*_hand.md3'

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jzero polycounter lvl 18
I've searched for hard info on what the '*_hand.md3' file is in Quake3 (for example, "machinegun_hand.md3"), but all I can find is mere mention. I'm told that the game will use "shotgun_hand.md3" as a default if it doesn't find one for a custom weapon, so there's no reason why anyone would need to make one for a mod.

BUT, this is for CheapAlert's Open Arena, which seeks to replace every iD-produced Q3 asset, so I have a reason to make one. Cheap has done it, but he's being cagey about how to do it tongue.gif, and I'm a guy who likes documentation. I know there's a single bone and the weapon tags involved, and fifteen frames of animation, but that's it.

Can anyone tell what this file is for, specifically, and how to make one for myself?

/jzero

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Uhh I am really not sure, but if I remember correctly from the days back then when I was still working on a Q3 mod, it is used for the first person weapon (change) animation.

In other words: the weapon is attached to the weapon tag, and when you change the weapon the hand animation moves the tag so that the weapon disapears from the screen for a short period of time and then reappears with the new weapon.
    But I might be talking complete rubbish confused.gif
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    the _hand md3 also has a firing animation too

The animation frames are dependent on the player model's animation.cfg (look at the lines that say DO NOT CHANGE - hand anim is synced to this, and you'll get an idea of a framelist)
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    JKM has it there. It's just a single polygon tag, used for moving the gun in 1st person.
  • monster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monster polycounter
    I just saw this, I can send you a max file of a few that I've done....I think I can find them....interested?