polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Slum polycounter lvl 18

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Hi Jeremy, glad you've decided to post stuff. Overall, I'd say you've done pretty good

Your texturing could use some hard edges. You're using a pretty big texture, yet your pumpkin looks blurry. Also, the white spots on the head of the mushroom seem kinda splatted on. You may be better off with a spotty pattern, and painted texture to enhance the shape/edges of the model.

The UVs here are a bit wasteful. I'd suggest breaking these materials up to different maps, as in one for the grass, one for the shroom, etc to try and get the most out of the material (no blank texture space). On a technical side, be careful about splitting up your UVs. Check your vert and UV count, these two numbers should be as close as possible for efficient UVs. It's not brought up too often, but it's a big deal in console and portable development. You may want to practice modeling without splitting your UVs at all to get accustomed to the concept.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks Chris. I definately see what you mean about the pumpkin being blurry. I think I'll go in for another detail pass and try to spend a little more time on this.

I'm not sure what you mean by splitting UVs and UV count. Sorry, I'm relatively new to UV mapping, and what I've learned is pretty much trial and error, I dont know all the technical stuff. Would you care to elaborate?
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Slum: Every vertex in your UV map corrosponds to an Vertex in your 3d model...now if you break an object apart, as you have here, now you essentially have 2 verticies in your UV to represent just 1 in your model.

Does that clear it up?
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Oh, ok I see. So basically one fix to that would be to have my 3 pumpkin segments connected at the top vert, thereby removing 2 UV versions of the same 3d vertex?

EDIT: Not sure what happened. My last post disappeared.

punkinrender2.jpg

Added some detail and a (crappy) normalmap. I'm pretty much done with this thing. Rather than remap everything, since this is so insignificant, I'll just apply cholden's tips to the next thing I do.

More images later tonight.
  • Slum
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slum polycounter lvl 18
    Just as a change of pace for my thread, here's something else I completed a while back. Nothing fancy or for any particular project, just fiddling with weapons.

hedge.jpg

Sorry about the double-post, but my thread was kind of sinking toward the bottom.