Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Slimer

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
Hey, yet another entry into the monthy Cgchat comp.

slimerrough1.jpg

slimerwip1.jpg

beauty_2.jpg
beauty_1.jpg

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    haha, cool take on the character!

those teeth are nice but I think the gums are appearing too hard, especially the upper gums, they look like they're made of cardboard or something due to the really harsh bump/normal (i think) map on the border between teeth and gums.

also not sure about the colour of the body specular - i'd maybe have made it a little less saturated so he appeared like he was wet, he kinda looks to me like he's made out of some weird plastic at the moment.

I think maybe you could have pulled off the transparent stomach effect a little better too, it looks kinda quickly and cheaply done at the moment... tried using additive blending on the transparency instead for an ethereal look? or maybe more raggedy transparency indicating thicker flesh or veins rather than just a slow smooth fade-out...

it's a great idea, i like the concepts, but I think the execution overall could have been a bit more polished. I have to say i preferred the models and textures you did for the previous contest, although they're all good, this one could have been better.

i know this post probably sounds really negative, but i do like this work quite a lot!
  • cep
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cep polycounter lvl 18
    That's wicked man!
    I'd ditch the neon green specular, I don't think it does a great job of makeing him look slimy.
    I like how you can see his inards, but it doesn't really shine as well as it could have. Could you post the flats?
    Tweaking the color of the mesh inside his belly would really help I think.

The teeth are damn cool.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the crits guys, this is still a wip, of course so I do appriciate the feedback, I have untill next monday to tweak, but Im happy that Ive' got all the pieces in. Mop, How would I do additve? is there a check box in max that would add it? I do agree that the bump on the gums needs to be a bit more gradual.
    Im still playing with the alpha in is gut. Bobo suggested making it animated to fade even further from it's current state so it would show off the junk in is tummy. I still might do that.
    yeah and the specular color might be turned a bit more towards white as well.
    But I like the neon green! so it stays smile.gif
  • Slaught
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slaught polycounter lvl 18
    Dude that´s awesome laugh.gif
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    Love the nipples. My one crit is I'd like to see the teeth and inside of the mouth modeled out. Give him big nasty tongue or something.

Otherwise it's looking ace.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yep, there's a checkbox for it in the material editor. I can't remember exactly where offhand, I think it's in the Bitmap settings, but you might wanna do a Max Help search for additive transparency. It's definitely found in a list of 3 radio button options - Additive is the top one, Blend (i think) is the middle one, and Multiply is the bottom one.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet work! One of my favorite models in that cgchat contest style wise. A little more polish wouldnt hurt, and I agreee, the opacity and layered belly doesnt look horribly convincing right now, but Im sure you can work that out.

P.S. turn on double sided texture so we can see the backside of the teeth in your render smile.gif
  • Slainean
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slainean polycounter lvl 18
    As a fan of the ghostbusters movies and cartoon show I had to reply to this.

I love the concept sketches and I wish a few more details had transferred to the model. For one, I prefer the drawings minus the anus lips. I think without them he looks a little more skeletal and therefore more ghostly. The big lips make him seem very organic to me, like some sort of bio-monster. Secondly, I thought the long creepy fingers were cool. In the model they are less bony and shorter, which I think is less interesting.

Basically, I wish it were a bit truer to your initial concept, but I guess the design has evolved. I think the other advice in the thread is sound, but that's what I wanted to see most in the finished version. Otherwise nice work, looking forward to seeing the final version. smile.gif
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    extended parameters/advanced transparency set to additive. Thats all. Rest of the feedback can be found on cgchat.

Note: Please feel free to drop me a line on ICQ. I am always open for feedback...
  • malcolm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    malcolm polycount sponsor
    Wow, that looks great, and it's not Lion-o!!!!!!!!!!
  • Sith Happens.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sith Happens. polycounter lvl 18
    That is really cool ghost!
    Thought about putting in a couple smalle nostrils (small dinosour like perhaps), might fit in, since he seems to be an eating machine organism. Wait, did that make sense?
    Anyways, I think its great!
  • RageUnleashed
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RageUnleashed polycounter lvl 18
    Damn Ghost, you just keep getting more skilled by the week. It's awesome, maybe could use a little more red in the arms or such but that's just a nitpick.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    dude this rocks. really, i love it.
  • Echelon-IV
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Echelon-IV polycounter lvl 18