Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

My first "concept" model

LazyBoy
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
LazyBoy polycounter lvl 18
ok last time alot of people where whining that i don't model from concepts...... so here i go with this model of a head here are the drawings (some anatomy website) and here's the model I created (made in MAX).

I know it's just a head and a cartoony one at that but i liked the drawing

alot of peopel will recognise it i think it's some type of Pokemon or something

I haven't materialed the model yet properly want to use photoshop or something for that

theses are just max materials and the eye material is just ripped from a tut have to make my own eye material thinking of adding some fur or something there

thinking of makin facial animations for it.

As usual i just need critiques on what was done thats all

gogofront7rt.jpg

gogofinal6ki.png

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Would b easier to crit if you didn't use global illumination and showed us wireframes. GI is really good at hiding flaws which is why it's often used for promotional stuff.
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ok done what you asked KD

I understand now KD what you mean the GI hid the cheek area in the render but now that i have had a chance to anaylse a proper render i can see that the cheeks look a bit off looks like he has got walnuts in it's mouth or something got to sort that out

also changed the texture on the eye cuz that wasn't mine made my own basic eye texture in photoshop just now. should have put little veins on the cornea or something and added more detail in the iris and pupil area but do that later

still doing alpha channel for fur see what that looks likes later or maybe i can make a texture in photoshop

anyway here are pics i know right off the bat that i have to cut off a whole load of poly's on the horn.

P.S. does anyone have a few tips on making outdoor enviornments i am currently making one

gogoo7dc.png

wireframe3sm.png
  • Crylar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crylar polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, them eyes creep me out.
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tried the alpha channels not liking it so i will just stick with how it looks...for now.

created some facial animation poses i am going to put them up later still doing happy expression some critiques on the expressions coule be excellent help for me i think cuz i am gonna try and animate by tomoz
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    here are the facial expressions i made

I need to know whether they are suitable as well as believable expressions for the emotions i am hoping to convey in the facial animation that i am going to try and do for this character .

Not going to try lip syncing at the moment just trying to start from the ground up and work from there

the emotions are in this order

1.Sleep
    2.Happy
    3.Angry
    4.Shocked/suprised/Wow
    5.Sad

[image]sleepemot1uf.th.jpg[/image]

[image]happyemot5xm.th.jpg[/image]

[image]angryemot7ej.th.jpg[/image]

[image]shockedsuprised0oq.th.jpg[/image]

[image]sademot9vc.th.jpg[/image]
  • mr.toast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mr.toast polycounter lvl 18
    isnt that a digimon
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    i thought it was a pokemon or something it looks like a pokemon..
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=h...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG
    click on the 2nd one down.

pwnt

hey nothing against the digimon wink.gif. BTW it looks awesome. And if your aiming for a low poly theres way to many polies in the horn
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    doesn't anyone have any critcism's about the emotions i have made any little thing could help
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Most of the emotions are believable, maybe an animator could explain this better:

4.Shocked/surprised/Wow
    Move the corners of the mouth down from an open mouth smile to more of a "O" shape. Opening the eyes wider than happy could help distinguish between the two emotions. Angle the head back and to one side a bit, as though it is turning away in shock, could add a lot of value to animation.

Sad appears more tired than unhappy.
    Rotate the eyelids that they are reverse of the angry eyes (outer lid down, inner lid up),
    and the eyes looking slightly up, for puppy dog eyes. Slouch the head down a few degrees for more effect, and a big pouting low lip wouldn't hurt either.

I also suggest adding some material to break up the edges of the mouth and inside of the mouth from the rest of the face.
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeh your right cholden i was thinking about that the mouth should be distinguished in some way i was thinking of maybe deepening the mouth extruding a bit more in and giving the inside maybe a pinkish texture also i was thinking of giving it a few "k9" teeth or fangs to go either side of the mouth like a sabertooth's except obviousley they won't be as big as a sabertooth's are they will be small