• adam
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Finally! I think if you wait long enough a report will come out saying that something bad isn't as bad as people thought. I tend to have a cup first thing when I get to work in the morning and maybe one around 5-6 if it's a long day.
  • oXYnary
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Cigarettes are stress reducers, so they also can be seen as healthy in a certain perspective. Im now going to rain on your parade.

Please note the following. (me bold)

[ QUOTE ]
    Professor Joe Vinson of the University of Scranton in Pennsylvania warned, however, that the study did not prove that coffee was good for you because high levels of antioxidants in food did not necessarily translate into higher levels absorbed by the body.

Nevertheless, the research - which was funded by the American Cocoa Research Institute

[/ QUOTE ]
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    "I think if you wait long enough a report will come out saying that something bad isn't as bad as people thought."

If you wait long enough, a report will come out saying that any type of food contributes to cancer, fights cancer, shortens your life, extends your life, represses bodily functions, stimulates bodily functions, etc.
    Reports will say whatever someone with money wants them to say. In this case: "Make daily trips to Starbucks or you'll get cancer!"

You might also notice hidden in one completely uninteresting little paragraph you're told that anyone who is actually concerned about cancer should be trying to eat more dates, cranberries, and grapes. But a headline of "Eat fruit; it's good for you" just isn't sensationalist enough to be worth writing.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    If it actually is healthy, well, then that's a plus. If not? It's not like I'll stop drinking it just because it doesn't have health benefits.
  • Rhinokey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhinokey polycounter lvl 18
    i drink coffee and i have yet to get cancer. proof!
  • Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    if we close our eyes and just hope strong enough, everything will be healthy ... someday wink.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Some cultures believe that stained and blackened teeth are healthy, while whitened teeth are not.
  • JO420
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JO420 polycounter lvl 18
    im crossing my fingers for hookers,booze and cigars will be good for me soon wink.gif
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There was another study not long ago that found the antioxidants disappeared rapidly after brewing, so you should drink the coffee within 15 mins or so of brewing, not let it stew on the hotplate.
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    bah! to coffee. give me a nice tea tongue.gif

there was also a study saying chocolate is good for you.. though the healthy ingredient is the thing that makes it bitter which most companies remove as much as possible
  • sal_manilla
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sal_manilla polycounter lvl 18
    Old news and it's still about moderation. You can't pump the cup all day long. It does elevate your B.P. for a while. Every try to quit? What a freakin' headache!! I just like my morning kick to get me started. A large Half-caff at Wa-Wa with French Cream creamer/sweetener, Boyeeeeeeeee. Yummy!! poly124.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    I'm an OJ kinda guy, from oranges. And a glass of water, not from tap. Hope those are still good for you.
  • danr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danr interpolator
    oh, it's another one of these studies that states that the right amount of something is good for you.

I promise, one of these days i'm going to jack in the day job and get a big fat grant to prove that too much or not enough of something is bad for you.

Hang on, wait just a sec ... *blinks* ... there, i've done it. Too much water is bad for you. Wheres my cheque?
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Elysium: I prefer banana. And why not tapwater?
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    bottled water is a total sham, its not like they build a factory up some mountain and siphon pure glacial water. its pretty much the same, maybe filtered with a couple minerals added- but I doubt its enough to make any real difference. Unless you live someplace where it's unsafe to drink tapwater tongue.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Pure glacial water?!? You know why that stuff is white and called "glacier milk"? It's so dirty I wouldn't use it to wash my feet.

Usually the water "factories" are built over (or connected to) a source. Except for Bonaqua (the mineral water made by Coca Cola), which is just carbonated tapwater with added minerals. That created a scandal here some time ago because you're not allowed to add anything to "mineral water" AFAIK.

The water supply stations "harvest" the tap water with wells, the result isn't that different except (at least in Germany) the regulations for tapwater are stricter than the ones for mineral water*. A drawback of tapwater is if your pipes are bad you get a lot of unwanted metals in your water.

*= The town I live in had plans to use the unfiltered water from its wells, bottle it and sell it.
  • Joshua Stubbles
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joshua Stubbles polycounter lvl 19
    Bottled water tastes better than tap water, simple as that. As anyone who lives in Nevada, anyways smile.gif