Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

quick bloljob -updated

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
shotgun polycounter lvl 19
haha, sorry, just being silly smile.gif

well anyways, a bunch of you have been nagging me to pimp some stuff for a while. and i figuered now ye, whatever, why not, maybe i have something to share..

so here's just a bunch of upgraded texture, the old-school type. no normal mapping and bla bla. with all respect, of course. so some of these and a bunch of new stuff im getting together to a better personal website, hence the luxurious decorative on the last one. so ill have the rest of the stuff on the website.. soon.... (well if SOMEONE would sober up a little yes excuse me *cough* hello? do you read this mister you-know-who-you-are? thank you.)

some jpeg compression. sorry for the heavy (?) download.

i dont know, do you think i pushed it too much with the unsharpen mask tool applied at the end?

jamazon.JPG

plastybricks.JPG

techmaps.JPG

Replies

• rawkstar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rawkstar polycounter lvl 18
    can NEVER have too much unsharpen mask.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    can NEVER have too much unsharpen mask.

[/ QUOTE ]
    agreed.

nice stuff man smile.gif
  • BoBo_the_seal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BoBo_the_seal polycounter lvl 18
    I like them but I think your design and anatomy is off. Here I did a paint over smile.gif

jamazon-BoBo.jpg

- BoBo
  • b1ll
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    b1ll polycounter lvl 18
  • Crash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Crash polycounter lvl 18
    my god bobo! thats the best paintover ive ever seen!!
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    rofl laugh.gif
    nice stuff smile.gif
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Shotgun, you've just been owned by Bobo smile.gif

Noice textures though man, they still look as good as when you showed me them aaaaages ago ... and yeah you can never have enough unsharp mask!
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Rofl!

The top two textures are nice. I know you did them a while ago, but they have a nice old school feel to them. I think maybe you did go a little overboard with the unsharp mask. Or at least a little too uniform of an application of it.

The sci-fi set at the bottom is what I really like. Especially the center one. Those paint wear marks really make it. I'm gonna have to steal that particular way of doing it.

Bobo, so bad! Making fun of poor shotty!
    (you know we love you shotgun!)
  • Bronco
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bronco polycounter lvl 18
    LOL!..nice stuff shotty and nice paint over and all Bobo,ya should incorporate BoBo's idea I think wink.gif.

I love the lighting in the last texture..nicely done.

john
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol
    man, i should have seen that coming.. hhehe
    well i guess i deserve it eh
    ive been trying to be a good boy too bad frown.gif
    touche'

thanks for the tip poop, ive even never considered applying the mask on only portions of the image.. thats a good idea actually ^^

and ye sure bro, rip away i dont care wink.gif
    im gonna pose some mossy rocks and go draw them now ~~
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    Not too struck on the first texture but the rest and the last few in particular look great. Be nice to see them in a texture pack.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Is that an image of the Virgin Mary with Baby Jesus I see in the red brick wall texture? Her head is pretty near to the centre of that big block near the top.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lol mop no, sorry, no virgin marry
    you need to get laid man wink.gif

hehe per really that bad you say?
    well could be could be.. those are old stuff touched up, basically, that's may be why. also may be they simply plain out SUCK. hehe its not full pixel control work like skins, you know, its mostly cheap overlays and stuff like that optimistically put together smile.gif. the smaller, 256^ ones were more controlled and pushed, and seems like ppl like them more so.. ye maybe thats where the others fall short

man thanks for the really very generous compliments anyways. i know this is not the out-doing-myself stuff i usually try and do.

thanks for kicking my bubble butt bro smile.gif
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    No, I think Mop may be right... Look closer!
    shotgun_texture.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    damn... im busted!
    so much for concealing my source :\
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Happy birthday shotgun! I remember these from a while back. I tested all of these textures in Quake 3, and here's what I thought:

The first, vined brick texture is really good, my favorite here, and tiles smoothly.
    I noticed the brighter highlights give it a painted almost cartoon look. This is great for style, though if you want something more realistic, darkening the highlights helps a lot.

The 2nd, red brick I didn't like so much. The texture overlay seems to overpower the brick detail, though it looks like it should be the other way. Also, the large red splotches above the bottom of this texture cause a noticeable tile.

The three tech carpets are good. I like the middle on the most. They could be sharper, but I imagine this is just the jpg compression. The lighting seemed a bit off on the bottom texture's borders and the lower brown trim of the middle texture. This is sort of tough to explain, but when I tiled these texture, those parts stood out too different in color than the rest of the texture. If you wanted to take these textures further, change up the top and bottom (light?) textures so they have glow maps. Even Q3:A used glow maps.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    everybody, learn how to give critic:

mr. chris holden, please.

cheers mate.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    this is for you, per my man
    another old scrap this time pixel pushed and lubbed for quick installation, hopefully better now. props to chris holden and scoob for the pre-post feedback, i tried to make things blend more with one another and get some macro details in there. no virgin marry this time, i swear.. not unless you eat crumpets all and go by the alias MoP

this is a sort of atmospheric type of tex, the kind you may base an indoor environment on. it doesnt tile on its own.
    crits appreciated, bring em on.
    i feel i could still have pushed the rendering even further, its a little stuck between "passive" and "dominant" light set up, i think

hexenit.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Nice job man! The relief in the middle totally feels like a sketch straight out your sketchbook. Is she drinking her own urine? or that of the woman next to her?

Good color usage too. Dag on it, I'm gonna go out and say I like this piece.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    i like the red and green checkered pattern on the bricks, that turned out very nice.