Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Monster guy

Ok, posted this in the what are you working on thread, figure its getting close enough to get its own tread and maybe this will motivate me to finish him up too.

Based of cep's concept here: http://artbycep.4t.com/monster3.jpg

cepmonster18.jpg
cepmonster17.jpg

Replies

• Prs-Phil
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Prs-Phil polycounter lvl 18
    awsome, I really like the concept.

I think you need to make his lips a bit bigger and on the concept the neck look bulkyer with more muscles.

Maybe you could bloat up his stomache a bit more and make it hang down, to make him look fatter. Same with the chest area.

Other than that, I really like him and the clean mesh smile.gif

Finish him smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ah yeah you're right, he is way down from the target fatness in the concept =)
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    okay so you picked up his concept drawing (which is pretty sweet) and followed it, but what is the concept anyway?
    its, basically, extreme anatomy. and while you have been cranking out consistatly improving shit u'r anatoym is still off. you can not make extreme anatomy for the sake of of having 'cool outline'. these things must be pushed out from the inside.

chex0r this out
    cepmonster18.jpg

i started from the clavical: if it were as low as you made it, his neck would have to be consistnatly lurched forward.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oops double post
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    Come on EarthQuake, you knew this was coming, why didn't you kickass ? laugh.gif

on edit: nice sketch shotgun, im going to keep that in mind too.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well if im making a fat guy im not gonna take the time to model in each muscle, just the ones i will actually want to define some shape, if you're proposing going back and modeling every single little muscle as it "should be" that sounds like an enormous waste of time when it wont actually be seen in the final model. If thats not what you're saying let me know, i've had some difficulty understanding your paintovers lately unless its like very obvious what you're doing. It almost looks as just you drew the underlying muscles in your paintover? dunno....
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hey hey
    why are you getting upset bud?
    you know your anatomy is off there in any case, so you know my point is valid, and im just trying to help you. take things in proportion bro

the way we each interperate these internet text based messages we send to each other is a great example of our own psychology.. i may be blunt, but i really just wonna help you improve your work. painting over your render is a practice for me too.

anatomy is like rules for chess. you can't make complex moves without knowing the rules. enhanced anatomy, like what you are trying to do, is what i would call 'complex moves'.

i disagree with saying if a model is fat you dont need a proper skeleton. the things i suggested in the paintover are basic: proper construction of the lungs and waist. by understanding how things work over there, you can quickly and easily expand and enhance with fat and bigger muscles. the pecto muscles and clavical i corrected is not picky anatomy details, and neither are all the superfacial muscles of the human body, for the matter. your figuers will not look good without it if you want to some day put it on par with pro work.

i dont know, i could be wrong judging from these renders, its hard for me to see the planes shift on the torso. in any case, 3d applications allows us to easily get away with anything, because 3d construction is not essential as it is if you tried to create this on paper. 3d anatomical construction is an essential tool when approach a task traditionally. but ye, things naturaly look believably 3dimensional when you use 3d application, even if there is no construction behind it. so anyways.. whatever pulls your finger i guess.. smile.gif
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey i didnt mean to sound sound upset, just confused as to what exactly you were trying to say.
  • dfacto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dfacto polycounter lvl 18
    Shotgun is right about the anatomy, but the good thing about 3d is that you can always sculpt it later, which will be more than enough to get your model looking spiffy.

Just make sure you have good anatomical refs, especially for the arms, which look like badly defined bulges at the moment.

And fix the eye sockets. The rims should be rounded, not hard and rectangular.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    After looking at Cep's concept, the first few things that immediately hit me are the lips, jawline and the corners of the mouth as well as the flesh around there.

The lips need to look softer and fuller, especially the lower lip.

The jawline looks accurate to me now.

The flesh around the corners of the mouth need to look fuller. The topology is there, just needs some tweaking.

my 2 cents' worth. cheers.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    I think what Shotgun is trying to say, and I agree with, is that you are trying to pull off a subtle muscle flow, in that he is a bit fatty and not all of it is defined. Which means that since so little is actually showing, it needs to be twice as accurate to read correctly.

It feels like you aren't as familiar with the anatomy as you need to be to pull off this level of subtlety. Lot's of little things that I don't think I could put in a paintover if I tried. It's probably something you won't be able to fix in this model, and you should just continue as best as you can, and keep working on your anatomy, especially on paper. Always with the paper.

In short, it looks like your infamiliarity with proper anatomy is showing in this. If you had a stronger knowledge and familiarity with proper anatomy, it would show through easier and make this a more convincing piece.