Home General Discussion

Bill would let police monitor your e-mail yaY!:)

polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
peanut™ polycounter lvl 19

Replies

• Foehammer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Foehammer polycounter lvl 18
    suck! big brother lives...
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    Yay for headlines!

"Geist said the version of the legislation that was circulated by the government failed to protect the privacy and legal rights of citizens. It also placed a severe requirement on Internet service providers to hold data and records of Internet and e-mail use by their clients."

This is either going to be tossed out, or they'll put the same rules on e-mail that they do for telephones. Are you scared of phoning people?
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    This is either going to be tossed out, or they'll put the same rules on e-mail that they do for telephones. Are you scared of phoning people?

[/ QUOTE ]

maybe if I'm telling them I'm going to blow something up wink.gif
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Of corse im not scared to call people, but would you like the police officer/cop/private eye on your street corner in your neighborhood to read your mail ?
  • Frank
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frank polycounter lvl 18
    You think they don't already? All this would do is let them do it openly.

Frank the Avenger
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    You think they don't already? All this would do is let them do it openly.

[/ QUOTE ]

At least they can't brag about it cool.gif
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    I was talking with Gauss in MSN today. I wrote some stuff about killing and the MSN window went gray, I got signed out automatically.
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    AIM watches convos and suspends, too

I got suspended for merely asking Vailias for a crit on my gargoyle model, and no this one had no cock either...

ICQ doesn't watch

<3 icq
  • acc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    acc polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Of corse im not scared to call people, but would you like the police officer/cop/private eye on your street corner in your neighborhood to read your mail ?

[/ QUOTE ]
    A cop could be listening in on every phone call you make, yet it doesn't stop you from calling. Why is mail any different?

Would I like a cop reading my mail? No. Do I think they should be able too if they have enough evidence that I'm a criminal to get the courts to give them permission to do so? Yes.
  • sonic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sonic polycounter lvl 18
    think of all the things you could do to fuck with a system like that though

i think it'd be fun!

I VOTE FOR TEH BILLZ0R!
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do they require a permission for wiretapping anymore? I thought the USAPATIOT act took care of that. Or was it some later piece of legislation?
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Do I think they should be able too if they have enough evidence that I'm a criminal to get the courts to give them permission to do so? Yes.

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

OTTAWA - The federal cabinet will review new legislation this fall that would give police and security agencies vast powers to begin surveillance of the Internet without court authority.

[/ QUOTE ]

The article says without court authority.
    You probably failed to read anything, but this is just a little detail, no real problem here, but thats ok i guess.
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    heh, who the heck has anything to hide anyways?
    I mean I get annoyed when people go through my stuff without asking; and some things you'd rather people not see... but if your being accussed of terrorist plots or something else that could mean time in jail or at the least a crinimal record. Personally I don't care if they go through my freaking laundry to try and find evidence provided it proved me innocent! smile.gif
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    provided it proved me innocent

Your defense lawyer can already bring anything that'll prove you innocent to court, wiretapping merely gives the state attorney a way to get more incriminating evidence.