Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

CG chat comp 29 Lion O

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi this is my entry for this competition. I wanted to make him look fierce, agile, a lot younger, and more like a cat. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex

lionO.jpg

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Kind of reminds me of Beastboy (in Starfire's outfit) from Teen Titans, might want to look at his thin/young proportions. Consider that Lion-O did look similar to this in the first episode, before Jaga made him strong to hold the sword of omens. You may want to replace the sword with something lighter for this smaller character. I like the idea from your concept of changing the gauntlet to more of a cat's claw.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is what the model looks like at stage 1. I just wanted to layout proportions and see how many polys the hair would eat up. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

Alex

lionO01.jpg
  • thnom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thnom polycounter lvl 18
    The legs look totally off balance. The bit directly under the thigh seems to go out too far to look balanced IMO. Maybe make the thighs thicker with the bit under them closer.

Quick progress though!
  • Asherr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Asherr polycounter lvl 18
    use reference!
    lion1.gif
    dgitigrade legs are not made up of 3 long bones. thigh > shin > foot just like a human leg except they walk on the balls of their feet.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Thnom I modeled him in that pose because I thought it would make rigging easier, so that's part of the reason he looks of balanced.

Asherr thanks for the reference, and you are right I should have gotten some to nail down this character at one go. I will still probably stylize the proportions but they should look good. I wasn't to happy with the results I have now.

Alex
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    so like, whats going here then? laugh.gif

Lion-o was born a fully grown hero
  • Tully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tully polycounter lvl 18
    I'm really not seeing a whole lot of a sense of "redesign" here. It looks like you've made him a bit slimmer, changed the legs, threw in a bit more of an anime-type look to the face and made the suit slightly more mechanical looking in a few places. You haven't made any major changes that show insight into the character. Could be pushed much farther, I think.

Maybe it'd be better to think situationally? I'm no great fan of the original design...never seemed all that practical to me. Think of what he might have needed to survive in the place he was in the show. These guys are marooned on a planet, fighting against mutants and Mum-ra. Such possibilities! Alien technology, combined with the grit to survive in the wilderness of an unknown place.

Where would they have gotten their weapons? How might they have aged and worn in such an environment? Did they salvage equipment off enemies they defeated? What sort of things were available to them from their ship and what would they have had to get from the wilderness? That sort of thing.
  • Scott Ruggels
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Scott Ruggels polycounter lvl 18
    Spot on Tully.

The other thing, is that if you are going for a "Re-imaging" of the character, you really need to think about what "media" the character is going into? more 2D animation? a 3D series? a live action movie? as it looks now, it's just a game model with a not well thought out Digitigrade look.

Scott
  • Raven
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Raven polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet jesus does that take me back. Although now I have the theme tune stuck in my head.

Guess it's better than the Mask theme tune. smile.gif
    I like the top penciled sketch, you can see the legs have a better shape definition and the hair flows down the back like a maine.

Agree with Scott, it's look and design (in 3D) doesn't seem to be pinned to any sort of media type. It's like starting a new sketch of something, then half way through deciding to change the style.

The work will just end up looking like patchwork. Best work comes from keeping to constant style, and planning. Easily forgotten if you do a quick sketch and feel it's enough.

smile.gif Looks like a good start but again, I'd probably see about taking that pencil sketch making a few more in a few more poses. To get the feel and shape of it before starting any real work.
  • Sage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sage polycounter lvl 19
    Here is an update to my entry. The material is just a color study and not the texture. I'm pretty happy with the model. I'll probably add a few more polys to the sword. The model has 2443 polygons. I'm going to start texturing soon. Thanks for all the feedback. Let me know what you think.

Alex
    lionO02.jpg
    lionO02w.jpg
  • Valcien
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Valcien polycounter lvl 18
    You totally stole my idear-Lion-O would be all deshevled coming out of freeze for twenty years. He'd probably react to it all like a ten year old, too.