Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

mediumpoly girl

eld
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
eld polycounter lvl 18
So I've recently lost my job and have decided to do my piece o' angst wink.gif.. And to get better ofcourse..

nat16jx.jpg

progress coming soon..

Replies

• PfhorRunner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PfhorRunner polycounter lvl 18
    Mmm angsty...

Looks cool! If i knew more about modeling, i'd have more to say probably. But its still neat.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    Looking pretty good so far. Heres my suggestions

first, the nose seems a bit too wide, not only the bottom of the nose, but also (mainly) the bridge of the nose. I cant really be positive because of the angle so maybe you could look into that (or post a frontal view).

secondly, the hair looks a bit matted down. I think you could poof it up so it looks a bit more natural. It just looks a bit flat atm. Grab some references of girly hairstyles.

Anyways, keep it up, and sorry bout the loss of your job.
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    I quite like it, seems okish flow couple things I'd look into on the face, by the nose , you modelling from a concept ? or photo ref?

peace

Show
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    looks nice! Not sure what the definition of angsty is, but it seems noone has said otherwise... so, uh, it looks "angtsy."

Anyway, as far as proportions go, you might want to move the mouth up a bit (use a ref to see how far) and after that you're going to want to move the chin up (right now it's perfect but after moving the mouth and such it'll change).
    On top of that, nose is too wise at the base, and.... I think it ought to flow more with the upper lip. There's an uncanny and unique relationship between the nose and upper lip on every person, but for a generic look, I'd suggest a soft flow from base to lip, like a curve.

hope that helps.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    thanks for all the help :P, I'll try to look into those things.. I'm using real-life reference, so some of those features might just be natural :x, It might show better when I start texturing, they're all good points though that needs to be fixed, and that I'll get right at..

( it's I who angsts, not the model itself wink.gif )
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    who's the ref? May we see it?
  • pairorat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pairorat polycounter lvl 18
    Sorry to hear about your job... but your model looks sweet, so take comfort in that.
    Besides the nose being a bit wide, I think the neck looks a smidge thick. but other than that it looks golden to me.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    the reference herself doesn't want to be shown, so nothing I can show there, sorry :/
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    oh, okay. It'd just help a bit. No worries.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Everything looks cool, except her neck appears enormous. Girl must have some massive SCMs. Maybe a little too thick around the brows as well.
  • LazyBoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LazyBoy polycounter lvl 18
    The modelling is good quality sorry about you hitting the dole queue

I like it how it is it's Bitchin!!!!!

she kinda has that normal look whenever i see someone model a woman they always model them perfect great body, ass, tits, face and in the real world people just aren't like that except me of course (only joking)

we all have flaws i like the face cuz i reckon thats the type of girl we would see walking down the street in the opposite direction you understand

ok she has a wide nose like someone stated but so what thats what gives her character ok so what her bottom lip looks to wide but that give her character ok her brow is quite large but that also make her stand out from the rest i have seen.

Do you know since i have gotten into this thing we call 3d modelling and animation i haven't seen someone make a "woman"

All i see are the athletic sleek and slender picture perfect models of women and as we know there are loads of women that are far from oil paintings where are the models of realistic women, The models of women who have love handles, cellulite, that curveous buttocks or wide bumper,, no all i see are the generic apsects of what people perceive to be beauty i like it becasue her looks aren't perfect but accurate to say an everyday woman who you would normally meet i don't think anyone got my message at all through all this rambling i can see what i mean but i just can't articulate it properly.

let me try again.............................................................I like how she looks because she ain't one of those generic super fit hottie models that everyone goes and makes their are too many of them and it doesn't accurately represent the average laymen women who we would normally meet and i mean if our world was a place where gilrs looking like some of the models we see in magazines or on t.v where the norm then well.... i bet no one understands what i mean

but i like it how it is man i know how to waffle about Sh8t
    oh well... confused.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gifcrazy.gifmad.gifmad.gifcool.gifcrazy.gifconfused.giflaugh.giftongue.gifcrazy.gifconfused.gifcrazy.giftongue.gifconfused.gif
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Well most could argue that game art is hyper real because a lot of us want to escape to an unrealistic world where people are as perfect as can be. Whats the point in paying 100 bucks to play in a world as drab as the stuff around you.

Having said that though I do enjoy making male models more because I feel I am given more free reign to add character without people telling me what they would change to turn it into this personal image of perfection.

Anyway enough waxing philisofical BS and back to the model, she looks cool man I really like her hair it gives her a lot of personality.
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I think her neck could be better defined with muscle . Slim woman have very defined necks . I also think her brow above her eye is a little to prominate. Why do you have what looks like the eye browse cut into the mesh and if that is the case why are they so high above the eye ? If this is a medium poly girl 7-25,000 poly ...you should cut more definition into her nose and lips ...looks pretty good over-all
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I've tweaked some of the things mentioned, mostly in the face, and started to work on the upper body, breasts are there now for me to shape clothing after them, that'll be the next part.. Clothing...

nat26at.jpg
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    shouldn't the next part be the body?
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    well, yes, but the rest'll be clothed, so the body will naturally come with that. maybe I ment it in the wrong way smile.gif

(got my job back)
  • Slash
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slash polycounter lvl 19
    It looks to me like the boobies should be further down. Other than that, its a decent start.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    BOOBIES

actually, they're at the right hieght, unless she's past 40. Angle looks good too. Size.......... dunno, for a game character, they're small, for real life, they're a little large. Just a tad, though. wink.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    More progress, did a corset, those loads of uneeded polygons on the corset will be removed, I still have optimization to do.

My topology isn't the prettiest around :/

nat37bh.jpg
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    and another...

nat50zc.jpg
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    nice, i like it. her neck looks funny to me though
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    really nice work.

You are probly gona do this anyway , but you should add a row of edges to define the botom of the knee.

also the top of the corset looks a little too straight. its probly meant to be like that , but a little variation would help ..

like i say tho , nice model ... sorry to hear about the job thing frown.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I actually did that bottom of the knee row of edges, thanks for pointing it out though, since I could've missed it..

(as mentioned above, I have got my job back) smile.gif
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    it's basicly finished, only lacking some cleanup now and optimizing..

hands are troublesome, anyone have any guidelines or tips on modelling them correctly for lowpoly characters?

nat79mt.jpg
  • Kayamate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kayamate polycounter lvl 18
    you model is comeing along very nicely

im glad you got your job back smile.gif
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    looking really good man ! solid model.

Oh btw, just a question, can anybody tell me why many people are using user/ortho 3/4 view. If I'm right, in-game, we have something called "perspective" right? So why using ortho display mode (which is ugly btw). It's not against you eld, don't worry, but I'm just using your thread to ask this little question wink.gif I've missed something about that, and I would like some answers hehe.

Anyway, keep up the good job !

- Renaud
  • Isis' Minion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isis' Minion polycounter lvl 18
    Model is coming along nicely. I'd love to see a non-wire shot though smile.gif

Renaud, some people like to work in User (ortho) viewport. I always get sick when i'm using it, so i don't laugh.gif
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
    looks really cool eld smile.gif

renaud: also when working in max viewports if you start is say, front viewport and use the mouse to orbit the camera then the viewport defaults to user rather than a perspective view. wink.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    The face has some cool things going on with it. Mainly it looks very real world, where you can see the femininity, but she has some mannish or odd features that give her character. I like it. But then with the body she kinds of degrades into a generic soft character. It doesn't look well researched, meaning her arms and legs are very much tubes right now. Even flimsy girls have a little anatomy showing. The costume seems a bit boring at the moment as well.

I'd say amp up her anatomy, and work on a more interesting outfit.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    I've been working with ortho since I dont know when, it's just natural nowdays.. for me it's easier to mentally see where the vertices are.

poop, I'm trying to define the anatomy more to some degree..

The costume is.. up to preference now, I think It'll show more of it's ways when it's fully textured.. most of it is just in my head now.., but I'll try to add some improvement before I call the modelling done.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    started texturing..

nat84my.jpg
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    great start son.
  • peanut™
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    peanut™ polycounter lvl 19
    yes pretty good in the texture department.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    Got some free time to work on the texture some more, comes along slowly..

nat112rq.jpg
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    nice painterly texture. looking forward to seeing how those alpha plains look next to the skin texture. should be good.
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good eld.
    Pay closer attention to the brow. Bear in mind ( check If you dont believe me ;-) ) that womens foreheads in profile are straight up, but mens slope back. Her forehead sloping back at an angle that dramatically is what's making her seem masculine right now.
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    absolutely right, thanks for pointing it out, I'm still learning smile.gif

fixing it now.
  • Zeldrik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zeldrik polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty sweet.
    I like how confident the shading is, when texturing females it’s very easy to make the texture too plain.

Having said that I reckon you should start thinking about defining sharp changes in surface angle through tonal contrast instead of using lines as if you were drawing the details. A good example is around the lips and where you have started defining the nose. I know its only wip I just recognize it as a problem I use to have with a lot of my textures, try using the selection tool to define the shape then shade it gradually. It’s not always the best way to work but it gives you an idea of what I mean.

Can’t wait till you texture the hair smile.gif