Mech pilot

KDR_11k
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
eva.jpg

wires.jpg

3466 triangles.
One of those mech pilots that are a dime a dozen in anime. Her name's Eva Merz and she's mentally impaired, barely able to move or hold her bodily fluids (her suit was modified to accomodate that to a certain degree...) and apparently completely apathetic to her surroundings. Putting her into a mech (called "dragoon" in this case) turns her into a masterful fighter, she can dodge any bullet and slice opponents into pieces with great precision (though she rarely listens to orders her mere presence already lowers the morale of any hostile troops nearby). In theory her dragoon, the "Engel", has a ranged weapon (appropriately named Angel Ray) but in practice it's usually disabled because she can't hit a barn and damages more allies than enemies when she uses it.

The suit mimics the shape of her dragoon, that's supposed to reduce the confusion once the neural interface is activated, make the pilot accomodate to the limits of the dragoon (like joint positions and armor shape) and help the pilot identify with the robot to strengthen the soul field which is the whole point of having those dragoons in first place (the soul field can weaken or absorb most ranged attacks and is only disabled when another dragoon engages its user in close combat). It doesn't provide any actual protection. Hers is a bit softer than usual, not constraining her as much because Eva doesn't seem to notice when she hurts herself with the harder parts of some suits.
She's usually kept lying on a couch when not "in use" and transported in a wheelchair.

Replies

• JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Lol, nice anime parody wink.gif

But please fix the knees, they look horrible.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    I like it!
    She needs more hips though. The top of her upper legs are unnaturally thin.
    She also stands in a very stiff pose. Maybe relaxing her a little helps. Spread the legs a little bit, bend the knees and make the back a little bit hollow/arched.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    it looks interesting, but there seems to be something just wrong with her. I cant put my finger on it, but theres something wrong. I think her shoulders are too wide (heh:)) or her hips aren't wide enough. But i like the face
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is the 3466 triangles being factored into the black outline effect, or is that a render effect?

I love the back story that is a really creative idea =) The model looks great! I would like to see it rendered without the black outline. I would also like to see some more detail in the texture, but I understand you are going for a specific look =)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks, guys!
    I noticed too late that I forgot to save after adding the thing on her back, fortunately it didn't take long to reconstruct.

JK: Yeah, I read a "parody" (i.e. Something-Awful style) review of NGE and their comment about Rei (popular despite being pretty much a noncharacter) made me wonder how far you can push the boundaries of "cute". I mean, otakus love their girls helpless, right? What's more helpless than a girl in an almost persistent-vegetative state?
    The knee was supposed to have a piece of armor that's attached to the shin in front of it since the weak points of any mech are the joints but the design on the render apparently didn't work out. I've replaced it with a more solit "spike" like the one on the back of her leg.

Ikraan, Jerome: Good call, narrowing the shoulders and widening the hips helps a lot.

Vig: It's a render effect. In my experience outlines are a waste of processing time since you won't notice them outside of cutscenes. And there is no texture yet, it's all material colors right now except for the pupil. There will be a few more black lines and they will be thinner on the texture since I won't be limited to coloring entire polygons then. Perhaps I'll add some smaller details like "cooling vents" and additional construction seams.

Without outline and with applied crits:
    noOutline.jpg
  • Mark Dygert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    WOW that is just colored polys and you have not added texture detail? NICE-U! Keep up the freakin awsome work then =)
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    texWIP.jpg

Started texturing. The pupil is still a placeholder, she won't have those black lines in her eyes.