Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Paint study

Sage
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Sage polycounter lvl 19
Hi here is something I did in Photoshop today. I'm just practicing painting flesh tones and hair. I wasn't to happy with the hair and I'll make a more realistic painting next time around. I was not too concerened about proportions here. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

study01.jpg

Alex

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    It's pretty good, but I'd say you need to think about lighting more - try more dramatic lights, so you can really explore the depth and form with shadows and highlights. Everything seems to lack contrast at the moment, so the overall result is very faded, you probably want to try and make the whole thing jump out more, darker shadows and stronger highlights would help this.
    Also flatten tones out where you can, try to avoid the splotchy look (like on his forehead) which is making it hard to determine depth and form.
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Desaturate the whole thing in Photoshop and take a look at it. It's very flat right now. You really want to work on the contrast, and volume, as Mop mentioned. Try blocking in the larger areas of color/light first, then going in for the details.
  • killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    fun paint experiementing dude. i like the colors in the background. spacemonkey uses accentuating colors close to the pallet used in this peice.

here are some thoughts on what you mention you were playing on.

skin tone:
    try playing with adding texture to your skin tone's hue (splotchy yellow and pinks for peachy skin) and adding wrinkles, hair, and freckles - which skin is notorious for having on it's surface.

hair:
    use a smaller brush, using an underpaint of medium strokes, paint-in individual strands of hair.

you can also build contrast with your brush edge; adding hard edges in the mix of the soft.

corners of the mouth ideally line up with the center of the pupils - it can be a useful landmark in the future. being concerned about the proportions wouldn't hurt. nor would concerning yourself with the composition.