Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Helmet Guy SDK - realease yer texture !!!!

sublime tool
Offline / Send Message
Joao Sapiro sublime tool
Hey people , iv had this sdk idea inspired by Shimmer`s head, so i thought on makin a small and easy SDK too , this guy is called "helmet guy" dont ask me why, but its his name lol , well here are the specifications :

186 triangles
it is recomended the use of a 256x256 texture sheet
the file format is .3ds so i dont think there will be any incompatibility issue.

<font color="blue"> HERE IS THE LINK </font>

http://www3.sympatico.ca/psykopat/downloads/Helmet_guySDK.zip

( thanks Psych0 )

Well...and heres my attempt :

232323238xb.jpg

NOW LETS SEE EVERYONE TEXTURING !! dont be afraid to post even if you think it is crap , only by receiving critics you learn , including me too !!

Replies

• Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    I worked on my version before the UV's and mesh were changed by johny, i believe this is my first completed male face (helmet and cigar i didnt spend much time on).

Thanks to johny who forced me to get this far :P.

johnysdk8qc.jpg
  • EmAr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    EmAr polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for the SDK johny. My texture is not as good as the ones you guys made but here's the result of 1 hour of photoshop fun I had:
    helmetguy3ie.jpg
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    some really nice works here smile.gif keep posting people !!

Emar : i would recomend adding some hard edges to the fce texture, but since it was painted so quickly :P
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    cool man, nice to see an sdk - but where is the rest of the model, this is just a head smile.gif

some nice metal details in your skin. The flesh needs some work, in addition to the anatomy. The eyes are a little small, and flesh is unconvincing, yet it does carry a cool style to it. Maybe if it were more consistent in form, and didnt change values so radically in wide areas, it'd hold together more.

again, sdk's are cool, but do an entire model, and import it to UT2k4 or something.

Everyone does heads, the real character comes with the entire body, the head is just the mouthpiece for the character. smile.gif just my 2 cents.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I had a spare hour or two this afternoon without any work assigned so I thought I might take a crack at this to make sure all this working on Spongebob Squarepants for DS hasn't degraded my texturing skills.

Texture doesn't sit so nicely on the model, but you did specify that I wasn't allowed to tweak the UVs, so thats how its going to have to be I guess. I'm rather pleased with the flat though. It could obviously use some more work here and there, but its time to go home.

d85.jpg
    4c7.jpg
  • ryan77
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryan77 polycounter lvl 18
    cool beans.. but why is the tip of the cigar on the uv map so biiiiiggg?
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    hey people , id like you to see this more as an exercise , of course that characters are better to do , but they require more time and rigging , etc, i did this head just for people to quickly texture it and see what results they come with smile.gif

moose : yeah i agree with u about the size of the eyes, and there are some erros iv noticed too late :P

jackblade : nice texture , maybe sharpen some more ?

ryan 77 : the uvw of the cigar is big since the spare uvw space ididnt feel to waste it so i used as much as i can :P

keep em coming !!
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d03.jpg
    Decided I couldn't leave the UVs the way they were. Tweaked the map a bit and changed the model a tiny bit (filled out the cheeks slightly, made the nose thinner) to fit the texture. Proper render instead of an ugly screen grab this time. Don't thik I'm going to have any more time to work on the texture.
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks better laugh.gif but adding polys is "against the rules" lol , but hey no problem, we just want to practise texturing lol :P

i would like to see that guy finished ,make him a somekind of WW2 helmet, it would look super !
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    so...noone textured this ? lol , well, suit yourself :P
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I didn't add polys, I just moved the cheek verts out a tiny bit.
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    graves polycounter lvl 18
    I love these threads
    final1to.jpg
    headcopy5nc.jpg
    probably took around 45 minutes
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    well..this keeps receiving better and better work !

Jackablade : no problem mate, as long you dont alter drastically the model :P and finish ur texture ! :P

Graves : i knew ya fom the JK2 comunitty wink.gif that texture looks neat, i love the idea laugh.gif
  • Psyk0
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Psyk0 polycounter lvl 18
    Sweet texture graves!, i also remember you from the JO/JA days, how you been?
  • SouL
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SouL polycounter lvl 18
    You've given the cigar way more UV space than it really needs. The butt end has nearly the same pixel density as the face.

Instead of sacrificing pixel density to keep the face and helmet as a whole, seperate the two and scale up their UVs. You'll make much better use of your textute page this way.
  • graves
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    graves polycounter lvl 18
    sup guys. Ive been doing alotta school/personal work these days. I'm glad to see ya here Psyk0.
  • ejay
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ejay polycounter lvl 18
    my first posts are almost always triggered by threads like this one. fun!
    ejhg01.jpg
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lovely stuff, ejay, i especially love the nose and eyes on him.
    I like the fact you gave him a woolen hat, that's just great.
    The cigarette seems to be in a bit of a different style though, maybe you should make it more painterly
  • Joao Sapiro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joao Sapiro sublime tool
    looks great ! i love the idea of the hat lol, is amazing the ammount of originallity people can observ in these topics laugh.gif
  • Fordy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fordy polycounter lvl 18
    fordyhelmetguy.jpg

Whey! My first ever attempt at one of the Polycount SDK's.

As you can see, mines some kinda marine with camoflage on his helmet. I was too lazy to put any detail on it, I can't really paint faces and iv already spent about 6 hours doing the damn thing.
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnyhr polycounter lvl 18
    Nice, good work everyone! laugh.gif
    I think I'll have a go at this as well.. my texture debute to Polycount tongue.gif
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Uh...
    how do you open the Model for this guy?
    I unzipped and I found a sample jpg,the tga wich has a blank uvw map,a readme and something that says
    "Helmet_guySDK
    File
    6 kb"
    I tired opening it with 3dsmax7 but it wont open?
    what to do?
    I realy want to practice my texturing...I used to have a realy nice clean style like graves but forgot alot about it and focused on 3d too much.
    Anyways...Great job everybody,good luck johnyhr.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Its a 3ds file if I remember correctly. Do an import.
  • jonnyhr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jonnyhr polycounter lvl 18
    Going away to work for two weeks.. so I werent able to finish.. I'll post what was done so far though
    textureTest.jpg
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    unwrap1sb.jpg
    Just a test face,im gonna do two more.
    This one is done to check how the wrapping is.
    He was originaly more colorfull with detailed skintones but stupid me desaturates without thinking and loses 'em all.
    so a brown color on multiply for you :P
    About twenty minutes,photoshop,mouse(going to get tablet soon...weeee...),256x256.

Oh and johny hr nice work on that,love the oil painting like look.i see a filter on the cigar!
    good luck everyone.
    -cmb aka mr.staby(waiting for the administrator to change his username)
  • Magnus N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Magnus N polycounter lvl 18
    Can anybody please convert the .3ds file into .obj for me? I'm stuck with Maya PLE and can't view my skin on the model.. frown.gif
  • CMB
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CMB polycounter lvl 18
    Why have you brought this thread back to life!
    Now I must see my crappy old skin...
  • Magnus N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Haha, well I just checked out the sdk thread and kinda felt like 'skinning' something, you know wink.gif
    Hope to have my skin finished soon, I finally feel I've progressed smile.gif
  • Magnus N
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just wanted to share some work in progress smile.gif
    Sorry if the contrasts aren't too good or too strong, working on a notebook isn't preferable when it comes to drawing skintones and such..
    Well, here goes:
    WIP-helmetguy.jpg