Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Realtime Character - "Beat"

S-S
S-S
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
S-S polycounter lvl 18
(Sorry updated images!)

Hi! Promised to post this in the morning, but decided to do some more work (excluding head which i did yesterday)

- I tried to capture likeness of my alltime favourite director/actor smile.gif- I didn't put his real name as topic smile.gif

- i hope i did enough work and someone will recognize him...

- 75% selfilluminated, no shadowmaps
- 128x128 for eye mouth teeth + alpha
- 256x256 for body
- 256x256 for head
- 128x64 for shades
- 3112 tris

- I used front photo as template. Rest was done by flipping between ref images (which i got from his website) and PS.
- Focus was in the head / likeness - i also tried to capture his general appearance/pose.
- I used bake as template, I could only use front part of the face (eyelids, lips and scars)
- I painted rest of the map (90%) using images from one of his older movies as reference and then toned his skin to what it looks like in his movies. PS only.

CnC Welcome!

Image 1
Image 2
Image 3

Replies

• MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Well, if it ain't Takeshi Kitano.

Really good work on the face, nice expressions too (although the teeth need more work, they stand out as a totally different style to the face).

In general the model and pose are great, that's exactly how he stands...

However the texture needs a lot of work IMHO - the clothes and sunglasses really don't fit with the style of the face - it looks realistic with specular painted on, and quite a lot of contrast and surface "noise"... the sunglasses seem oddly smooth and unrealistic on top of this, and the clothes really could do with some more detail and realism. They look really flat at the moment.
    That said, it is very difficult to paint that sort of cloth realistically, but I really think it'd benefit from some creases, wrinkles and seams painted on, maybe a subtle noise overlay too, to make it fit in with the face better.

The back of his head doesn't seem big enough - it's like his skull's been squashed at the back... the front view is fine, just the profile seems slightly wrong.

Very good work overall, though.
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Mop hit everything I was going to say for the most part.
    I think presenting something with such dynamic range against a white/light background is a mistake. I always try to use a neutral grey background or something close. It makes your material stand out better.
  • tasart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tasart polycounter lvl 18
    Thats a pretty good likeness of Beat Takeshi, I with Mop as well.
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    Beat Takeshi! i think it's great, though unlike your elf that you posted, the one problem that sticks out to me (other than the teeth being a different style like MoP mentioned) is that the head seems to have a lower resolution texture than it should. with such a dark suit texture (while minimal i think it works) i think you can get away with using less space for the rest of the model and focusing more space on the head. that being said i think it's a good likeness, a little more tweaking will make it a great piece.
    Takeshi is such an original, uniquely creative person... somehow it doesn't seem strange to see him in a digital incarnation like this. excellent choice for a model smile.gif
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Sorry, i went ahead and replaced images smile.gif I agree with your comments!

- Updated teeth - they were actually those girl teeth wink.gif
    - Rendered with ugly shodowmap this time. It makes glasses fit into face much better.

Mop:
    - Thanks for sharp eyed comments!
    - I also rounded skull from down behind a little. I not quite sure if it's accurate, but anyway, it looks nicer smile.gif
    - I made the shades transparent (used "brother" images as ref), it makes them less artificial. I also kept the original texture resolution (double) which shows noise in texture...
    - And about working on shape... i will probably get more reference images and tweak head shape. I have only worked on this model/texture today and yesterday, so i think i will continue working on this model later this week, have to rest for a while smile.gif !

gauss:
    - Head is in separate texture - it is actually painted in 512x512 resolution, but i wanted to see how it works in 256x256 (well, it will be 256x256). It definitely needs more work to make it look sharp!

ScoobyDoofus:
    - I'm aware of that fact. Just wanted to show Kitano in similar way he is shown in dvd cover images (i think it was violent cop?)
  • Mojo2k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mojo2k polycounter lvl 18
    Takesh2.jpg

heres a ref pic of him from my favorite show of his! , good model so far, i've tried doing celebs and found it difficult
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Stop it S-S You're making me feel like crap. wink.gif

All this stuff you've done lately is great! smile.gif
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Two words...

Holy Shart!
    You're skill makes me violent... almost homicidal! That looks almost real!
  • e_x
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    e_x polycounter lvl 18
    Vick Romano!!!

You HAVE to make a MXC version. And if you make Kenny Blakenship and Guy Le Douche, I'll love you, FOREVER!

Nice model by the way.
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    damn you are out of control sir. You are making me want to get off my arse and start making stuff!
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Your badass and the fact that you dont have a game job is ridiculous someone hire this man for godsakes ...
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    "You're skill makes me violent... almost homicidal! That looks almost real!"

"Your badass and the fact that you dont have a game job is ridiculous someone hire this man for godsakes"

Makkon and pogonip: swap your respective misuses of the words 'you're' and 'your' with each other and you'd have got it right.

On topic:

This looks great S-S but I agree with some of the comments made. Mainly that the face texture feels blurry. I'd be curious to see your facial UV layout If you don't mind, since a 256x256 done right should get you a sharper look than that. Also, is it me, or is his head a little large? I think the feet could use work too. Damn, I hate making blokes in suits smile.gif There's just not much to get your teeth into artistically. Great job.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for comments! smile.gif

Daz:

- Yes, the head might be a bit too big - didn't do much measuring, i have to admit - i was going to "finish" him in one day, and went ahead really fast - will do another layer of fixes maybe next week smile.gif (i think i will continue "war beast" model, as i got it in UV pages now!)

"I'd be curious to see your facial UV layout If you don't mind"

- Yes, UV layout is horribly wasting space; 1/3 of page is empty; whole head is cylindrically mapped (actually front/side+editing) and skull is split from hairline.
    - I usually have kept pixel aspect ratio square, which means i will have to cut left or right back of skull from ear/jaw line and place it on either side of head (both backsides are identical anyway) - This way i can fill the page better
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Though I'm not familiar with the subject matter enough to comment on the accuracy, I really like the simplicity of the model and texture you have going. I think that the suit could benefit from just a few slight wrinkles as Mop mentioned. Also cleaning up the head UV's to get more space like you mentioned would most likely benefit him with a fair bit of sharpness to his texture.

Great work man, you've really been pumping out some quality stuff, with a good amount of diversity as well.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    poopinmymouth>
    Thanks man!
    - I fixed UVs today, and sharpened details & fixed some parts of the face. Now he has 256x256 face texture with flipped bakside cut from front of ear...
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    - Hi again!
    - Updating old thread...
    - I thought to post these updates here too. I have been posting updates on Cgtalk WIP forums too.
    - I think i will consider this as "finished" model/texture...

20050720_takeshi_2.jpg
    20050720_takeshi_p1.jpg

Other poses
    Head Angles
    Head Angles+shades
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    really cool dude smile.gif
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    I'm not familiar with the person you've based this off of, but the skin tone looks great. Love the simpleness of the suit and how it doesn't draw too much attention away from the face.
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Looks great, Sami!
  • RazorBladder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    RazorBladder polycounter lvl 18
    nice vast improvement on the texture quality there smile.gif
  • darkshadow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    darkshadow polycounter lvl 18
    awesome takeshi man, really!!
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    amazing, total likeness. these last images look like him when he made violent cop.

Although I think you might want to add a slight amount of "nervous twitch" to the left side of his face (from our view).

Takeshi was in a car accident in the 1990's and half of his face got mangled. He spent years in surgery and therapy to get that side of his face to work properly. When I see him on TV (that is, a lot) his left side is constantly going off like theres a thread running from his scalp, through the eye and cheek to the chin.

These days he has white hair and is going a bit bald. Your first images captured his skin as it is now, but I have to say that he's not paralyzed on that side of his face, just it's fucked up.

nice work.
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks guys!

StephenVyas:
    - Do a seach with seach engine - and check some of his movies! They are really good - IMO smile.gif

darkshadow, Renaud Galand, MoP:
    Thanks!

RazorBladder:
    - Thanks! - You can see wrikles better in cgtalk WIP thread, i have a couple of renders with dark BG.

hawken:
    - I think i actually have that kitano documentary, which describes that scooter accident, so i know what you mean! smile.gif