Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Phoenix - first model for a mod i want to make =O

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
phoenix7nu.th.jpg
darkphoenix7lr.th.jpg
phoenixwirez3zx.th.jpg

well, i havent ever seen an x-men mod for anything, and being an avid marvel fan i thought i should try to start one. my neighbor will be modeling all the map objects and vehicles.

so, would anyone like to crit? anything they can think to change, and most importantly, HOW to change it... im not very good at texturing, so if anyone can give me some theory behind the criticizms, so i can put them to practical use, that would be great =D

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    You'd better stop right there because Marvel has indicated they HATE it when fans try to make fanart. They've almost sued skin city.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    no way o_O

well... thats a bit lame, but im gonna send an email anyway to see what they say.

and what about all the spider man mods ive seen?
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Tell that to the captain america threads, then.
    I'm sure others can tell you what other areas of the mesh could use work. I'll just point out one, for now.

The waist could use another segment or two for it to deform nicely when bending down, and twisting her torso.

The skin looks pretty clean and nothing that says 'this part needs work'. It just looks like it's not finished. It all seems to be made of the same material.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    The captain america threads aren't about mods though wink.gif
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    really... i can do without comments on whether or not ill be allowed to make a mod, i will find that out if/when i recieve an email back. for now, can you help me with the model and texture please?
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    Those models and textures look pretty decent for someone who is doing a mod . What is this mod for ? Meaning which engine/game ? Half life 2 ..or maybe even X-men legends ( can you mod that game ? ) It this charactr was for real time strategy with an over head view this would be a pretty good model I would say, but if it is for say half life 2 it seems a bit under detail and maybe to low poly . Like you could use more polys in the face to give her more of a soft feminin look especially to her jaw line . Her rib cage should also not pop out like that at the top. Smooth the edge there from the shadowed part of her ribcage to the stomack. How many polys is she anyways ?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    she is 2554 triangles. im actually happy with that count, i had a 3k target. i figured if its for a mod, i need to make things that everyone can run, even on low end machines, so im aiming for the team releases to have manageable polycounts. but release the skeletons to the public, so they can add their own characters if they like, that way, high end pc users can have fan made higher poly characters to play with.

i think thats the safest way to do it. thanks very much for your tips on the mesh, ill try them out (this is my first female btw.. its damn hard getting the figure and softness right...)

oh and the whole texture is on a 1024x1024, even the head...
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mooseboy polycounter lvl 18
    I think the biggest problem here is that you're working with your neighbor. These sorts of things are supposed to be done by groups where no two members live in the same time zones, preferably not even on the same continent, and know only each other's virtually untypable and certainly unpronouncable 133t online nickname.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    why is that exactly? i could know im in such a way, and he would still be my neighbor o_O. the fact is, we are both avid x-men fans, and we both thought this would be a fun project =]
  • pogonip
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pogonip polycounter lvl 18
    I don't see anything wrong with it at all .I don't get Mooseboys logic at ALL ????? What game are you modding for you did'nt mention that it would be interesting to see which engine an x-men mod ends up on.
  • 46th Avenue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    46th Avenue polycounter lvl 18
    Hey, nice Phoenix really like the textures with it. I was working on a X-Men mod but Marvel kinda frowned upon it and told us to stop or thell press charges, so we changed it to be loosely based on the Xmen. mad.gif it was for Half-life 1 but after the e-mail from marvel it slowly fell apart. It was called 'Xmod' dont know if anyone ever knew anything about it. I just checked and the sites still up after all these years. http://www.planethalflife.com/xmod/
    Well good luck trying to do this mod but to tell you the truth in the long run i dont think it will work. -46th
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well,i was thinking of taking advantage of either the source engine, and its wubbly lighting and physics, or utilising unreal tournament 2k4's excellent multiplayer ownage, and cool lighting/physics also =O
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    That really doesn't look like it deserves a 1024x1024 texture.
    You could get that much detail out of a 256... because there is no detail there.
    Also, the texture is looking pretty dodge/burny - like all the shading is just a whiter or blacker version of the base colour - this is not natural, except in very specific circumstances.
    Add more hard edges into your shading (everything's smoooooth at the moment) and vary the hues with the brightness, like a little bluer for shadows, or a little yellower for highlights.
    I'd recommend down-sizing the texture to 512x512, painting a bit more and seeing how it looks. It's easier to paint a 512 IMHO, faster to get better looking results. Doesn't look like this costume has enough fine detail to warrant using a 1024x1024 anyway. Take a look at Bobo's Bunker texture, it was 256x256 and has waaaay more detail than this. Every pixel counts!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    thanks mop! ill give it a go for sure, but like i said, im unsteady on my feet >_<

love your work btw.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Go for UT2004 because HL2 won't run on my system tongue.gif.
  • DarthRevanII
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    DarthRevanII polycounter lvl 18
    To save time for everyone, i split this post into two sections laugh.gif

THIS IS ABOUT POSTED COMMENTS
    (angry tone) Rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!

Wow, so much ignorance and misinturpretation here >_< lol

About the mod Issue. From what i have to came to understand from my own evaluation of vaious, "mods" and companies, it depends on what your doing. He wasn't truly meaning they hate fanart, they just hate people making full blown mods on their products, and like FOX, WILL NOT tolerate it. Your reply was the fact that u have seen various spiderman mods and stuff like that. Could be a good point, except one thing. All the spiderman "mods" I have seen, aren't really mods. It's just a player model with custom stuff for that model. It is NOT a full blown mod that incorporates enemies and bosses from the game and movies and comics, nor storylines from them, nor anything else. As well as the Marvel Comic mod for Half Life, that had all sorta of marvel characters like batman and spiderman and superman, and each with a few weapons. This in fact WAS a mod, but it was jsut a DM mod. Basically a weapon and player model pack, thats IT.

Depending on what YOU want to do will decide whether Marvel will be up your ass or not. It's not the fact of fanart or player model ports. If you are doing a full blown mod, his statement holds water (However i am not here to tell you to stop, just clearing the air on this and a few other things smile.gif)

Mooseboy was CLEALY joking and being sarcastic...dont give the guy a hard time for being funny <:\...He was just making a point that is UNBELIEVABLE that two...(game artists?) are neighbors.

THIS IS ABOUT MODEL AND SKIN
    Finally, to your model laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif
    Your skin is ***INCREDIBLE*** too bright. The skin is so pale and bright that it just really looks wierd. I dont know if your going for realistic or cartoonistic(real word? haha), not that it looks bad, its just it really looks wierd. Same thing for the suit as well. You definately have a GREAT base skin set down for some pwnage detail!
    I'm also getting into skinning and im fairly new at it, but there is something you have to realize:
    DO NOT DOUBT YOURSELF! Save your progress constantly under different files so you can go back and forth if you dont like it. Make multiple layers so you can hide or delete them and all. You really need to get it out of your head that you are new and "unsteady" at skinning. Screw that! Your an artist, and you already have a NICE model made AND base skin down. Now why do you expect us to believe you won't be able to make a sweet skin? wink.gif

Experiment with layer types (overlay, color dodge, color burn, etc) and different shades and stuff. Sometimes things might not look right, but if you keep messing with it, it really will look great

wow, really long post, ill end it here so you dont die of boredom lol. Hope my sentences weren't too hard to follow, its almost 5AM and im pretty tired, haha. Looking great though Gir, can't wait to see updates
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Might want to add specular highlights, I'm not sure what her suit is made of but I suppose it has at lease SOME specularity. The thing around her waist should drop a shadow on her body and its folds might need some work, they look way too sharp right now ands suggest too much depth (at least for a flat surface, if you want folds that deep you should add geometry). Perhaps move the chin back a bit, I don't know much about the character. BTW, shouldn't the cloth span between her breasts instead of following her body shape completely?

DarthRevan: They wanted to sue Skin city for hosting playermodels based on Marvel IP, Polycount now has a "no marvel stuff" rule (obviously not for P&P but for Requests and submissions). Marvel has gone much farther than FOX.
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    and what about all the spider man mods ive seen?

[/ QUOTE ]

What mods would that be? I ask because I've only seen one spiderman mod that's actually made progress, and I'm on it. And it's stayed around because we asked permission from Marvel and from Activision, Marvel's publisher. Reason being, the engine we're on is also distributed by Activision. So there's no competition with Marvel's property.

Asking to use their property on the Q3 or D3 engine would be your best bet. So unless you've got a plan to get on their good side, I'd pass on that idea. The model looks good tho.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    which department would you suggest sending the email to?
  • snemmy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    snemmy polycounter lvl 18
  • 46th Avenue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, check this out i found this comic book long time ago at someones garage sale for 3 bucks. This is the "death of the phoenix" issue that they did way back in the day. I dont know if anybody cares but i figured that id show yall this just for kicks grin.gif In this comic the Phoenix is alot darker than in the model. i think that it would be neat if you could make her face look more evil, after all she is a badguy(well atleast the Phoenix creature inside Jean Gray). Ill try and find a pic of her face close up to give u an example -46th

xmendeathofthephoenix1lo.jpg
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    actually the phoenix force wasnt evil, it was just confused... in the phoenix endsong, they finally unite, and she wears a white/gold outfit =]
  • 46th Avenue
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool i never knew that. I knew that the phoenix was the guardian of some stone or something that was all powerful and who ever had possession of it would rule the galaxy but it was cast into the sun so they didn't need the phoenix anymore something like that right or did i just strike out?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    well, the phoenix force was basically meant to judge the universe, and destroy anything that wasnt working, so it could be reborn in the fire of creation...

i guess thats kinda evil XD

it took everyone (psychically linked) to tell jean/phoenix she was loved, to bring them together into this:

xmes05176hf.th.jpg
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    just hate people making full blown mods on their products, and like FOX, WILL NOT tolerate

[/ QUOTE ]
    You're not quite perfectly informed. Marvel DID jump on all sites they knew about hosting anything marvel related.
    That included a lot of skin only sites, that like Polycount, only host skins and models that have nothing to do with mods. From FPS sites to Freedom Force skin sites they all got foxed in 1 big campaign.