Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Pirate! Yarrrrr!!!111

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
jRocket polycounter lvl 18
This is a character I worked on for a mod. I did all of the modeling and skinning work, and hope do some animations as well. Comments would be welcome.
skirmishpirate.jpg

wireframe
skirmisherwire.jpg

Replies

• ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    AWESOME!!!...er...i mean, YAARRRRR!

I've seen this mod. Nice work.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Avast ye, landlubbers!

The contrast between his shirt and flesh is a bit weak, on a casual look it's hard to see where the shirt ends and the flesh begins.

The arms and legs have way too many roundness edges compared to intersections. Perhaps trim out a few edges there if you want the polycount lower.

I suppose it's for HL2? In that case, wouldn't it make more sense to use normalmaps to give the legs rounder lighting instead of throwing that many edges at it?
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    nice work dude smile.gif gl getting a jay oh bee
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18

This guy is looking great, well proportioned and fairly strong realistic texture.

The arms could use better defining of his musculature, and his profile is really generic. You have a lot of opportunities (the sash, head wrap, strap) to exaggerate these details and heavily enhance this character, yet you push all these details close up to his body and they blend in with his form making him average joe.

I really like what you did for the texture on the shirt, this is very believable. Please use your same plan for the pants. They still look clean in comparison, and that torn section of the left pant it's barely visible while also being the only rip or tear on the pants.

I wouldn't mind seeing this character in boots, with more cloth wrapping adornments. Also, the face is more smooth boyband than rugged seaman
  • jRocket
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jRocket polycounter lvl 18
    Well HL2 kind of uses normal maps but not in the quantity that doom3 uses. They also require a huge amount of effort to make that could be better used making the other player models. It's something that I might do in the future if time permits.

I know the modeled position is rather generic, but the profile will definately look more dynamic when animated.
    You're right about the pants though. *goes back to texturing*