Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Nexuiz

Vermeulen
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
Well, I already have a thread about the video I made but I figured I'd make another one for this.

My game is released, Nexuiz, a 3d deathmatch game i've been working on for a while. I've sent the news to various news sites but I thought I'd post hear to many hear some people's comments if they decide to download it.

http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php
http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=downloads

I am not sure how popular it will become, or how it will be recieved (as it is completely different from counter-strike and the current trend of FPS games, which was its goal). But all I hope is that the game will create a good community.

Any comments, feedback, general rantings or anything, will help. Thanks.

Replies

• killingpeople
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killingpeople polycounter lvl 18
    a lot of really cool talented guys worked on this throughout the years, check it out! i was working on a different project with vermeulen while nexuiz was being worked on and got to meet the guys a bit. said project is actually what brought me to these forums here, so a fuck ya to that and congrats for finishing your project verm and the ateam!
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Great... downloading now!

But I can't try it out till this evening frown.gif

Anyways, what about a polycounter's game of Nexuiz tonight?

P.S.: I am going to host it also on FreeGameArts as soon as I got time to upload it. (but we arn't allowed to have direct mirrors, so you can link on your page to ours, but not to the direct download: freegamearts.myexp.de )
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Before I download 160 MB for nothing: Is there bot support?
  • Badname
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Badname polycounter lvl 18
    Cool game i like the gameplay and the sort of mini rocket launcher weapon rox laugh.gif
    I have spread the word of the game at http://www.gamer.nl/nieuws/26538
    goodluck with the game
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amouro polycounter lvl 18
    i played for a little bit earlier. it felt alot like a mix of UT and quake.
    it ran like crap on my PC though. i had to turn off all the lighting effects in the menu before it would run smoothly and even then it seemed choppy. my gfx card is a geforce 5600 256mb. wondering if anyone else had this problem.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    What else does you computer have though. I video card does not make the computer wink.gif
  • Amouro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amouro polycounter lvl 18
    yes your right, my first thought maybe an nvidia driver problem....
    anyway, i have an Asus P4PE motherboard, pentium 2.4gh processor, geforce 5600 256mb graphics card, 1gig of RAM, and im running windows XP Pro.
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Wow, I was not expecting THAT many levels. This is a whole lot of free game. My biggest crit is the player speed is way fast, but I reckon this is a game for hardcore players only.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Before I download 160 MB for nothing: Is there bot support?

[/ QUOTE ]

no sorry that isn't in yet. That'll be added in the next patch.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Is there a way to change maps by voting?
    I pretty much rule at this game (haha finally a game to be a LPB again wink.gif ) but after 50 frags (the next one had 15) on the same boring map...

Btw I think it is strange that the grenade launcher is the better rocket launcher wink.gif

Edit: I have mirrored the game at our FGA page:
    http://freegamearts.myexp.de/fga.php?filter=game&search=nexuiz&sort=name
    (please link only this way, no direct link)
    Now what about a polycount match???
  • CheapAlert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheapAlert polycounter lvl 18
    All I have to criticize is the animation of the more horselegged characters (Such as the Reptile and Headhunter) as they look like simple 5 fps animations meant for Mechwarrior or something.

Other than that, cool stuff, pretty, runs good on my Athlon 950, fun match last night too, some redundant weapons however.
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]

Btw I think it is strange that the grenade launcher is the better rocket launcher wink.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually what most players don't know is that the rocket launcher has a trigger, when you press secondary fire it triggers the explosion of any of your rockets in the air. Meaning, you don't need to shoot at the feet, its really useful if you get used to it.

Also no sorry no voting, but any good server should have a maplist and fraglimit/timelimit.
  • flachdrache
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    flachdrache polycounter lvl 18
    Congratz vermeulen - iam sure keeping a project alive for quite some time aint too easy.
    Me waves to the team. Great work. smile.gif
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [ QUOTE ]
    Actually what most players don't know is that the rocket launcher has a trigger, when you press secondary fire it triggers the explosion of any of your rockets in the air. Meaning, you don't need to shoot at the feet, its really useful if you get used to it.

Also no sorry no voting, but any good server should have a maplist and fraglimit/timelimit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah I realized that, nice feature. But the shooting frequency seems to be quite a bit higher with the grenade launcher, and the distance it can travel is far enought to qualify as a rocket launcher wink.gif

Btw, any improvements on the netcode planned? Even on good servers it seems to be a bit jumpy sometimes. It's playable but somewhat annoying wink.gif
  • Vermeulen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    In the next patch netcode will be a lot smoother.

Right before the release we added walk prediction for less lag, this caused a little bit of jittering sometimes.
  • innovati
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    innovati polycounter lvl 18
    It's really nice 1 on 1. Nexuiz gets laggy with too many players. As for the bots, I've got the beta of them and I say that they are VERY good. They don't recognize drops, jump or use secondary fire, yet, but neither do some Nexuiz players </sarcasm>

The bots pass the turing test. So many times I've been testing them, other people who join the server don't realize they are bots. These aren't Unreal Tournament quality bots, but they go for pickups, run around, use the geometry to their advantages much like a good human player would.

I doubt you'll be dissapointed.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do they call anyone a homosexual who kills them? That would REALLY pass the turing test.