Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Another game video

Vermeulen
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
Vermeulen polycounter lvl 18
Since I'll be releasing Nexuiz in the next few days I figured I should create a video to get more public interested.

So, any feedback on this would help:

http://www.nexuiz.com/index.php?module=downloads

Any feedback on what the quality of the game looks like, the quality of the video, or anything.

Nexuiz is a 3d deathmatch game I've been working on for a while now.

Replies

• cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    At the beginning, the "welcome to nexuiz" line is kinda cheesy, I'd drop it.

The video is good, some very pleasing looking scenes. The environments and effects stood out as the strongest features of this video. The area at 45 seconds, with the open glowing windows and the dark hall with blue/aqua lights at 16 seconds are very moody and stylish. The game play appears nothing beyond Q3A or UT, which is not a bad thing. Getting your game to this point is an incredible accomplishment, and you should be very proud of yourself and your team. The downside is, the longer this video runs, the more obvious that game play is, and the video gets boring. It would help to cut this video in half, maybe even 15 seconds long. Hit the viewer fast with ONLY the best looking scenes, couple good levels, great effects shots, and some nasty gibs.

The weakest point in the presentation were the first person view weapons. Because these are always on screen, they must be one of the best looking things on screen or they can ruin the whole scene. The biggest issue is their profiles. For example, the first weapon is a tube, then we see a box. These models appear to be made for 3rd person or pick-up item models. It would really be in your best interest to revisit these models for the first person view.

On a similar note of perspective and detail, The characters on screen never stood out, or showed any recognizable detail. They appear mostly as dark blobs or colored blobs. It could be worth your time to come up with a few average distances a character is seen from during game play. As in, far, medium and close distances, so that your artists can test the levels of detail they need to work at for the best look in game.

Great stuff putting this all together. I'm not sure what you're plan is for this game, but best of luck with that.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    The audio says "welcome to Nex-I-U-s", not nex-U-I-s as it's written. Don't know if that's a problem or not. Otherwise, it looks sweet. I must confess that I don't know a lot about the project, and it might be worth going over your aims (just briefly) in this thread for lazy SOB's like me..
  • dejawolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dejawolf polycounter lvl 18
    nice explosions.
    the rest.. well could hardly distinguish it from UT2k3.
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Coverage on Bluesnews eh? Good for you.
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Nice video!
    It is quite interesting how obvious its roots (quake1) are just by looking at the movement and 'physics'.

Anyways I am definitly looking forward to try it out.