Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gallhound

lkraan
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
lkraan polycounter lvl 18
I have been showing this in the WIP thread but I am pretty much done so I thought that I should create a new post for it. Still working on some things in the texture like the boots but other than that I am pretty much done with her.

It's a character by Masamune Shirow which I am planning to package for UT2004.
She's about 4000 polys and uses 2 1024 textures. 1 of them has an opacity texture and I am thinking about adding a specular texture too. I build the model to fit the standard UT2004 skeleton so she doesn't have the full Shirow anatomy smile.gif

Concept: http://mshirow.free.fr/PosterBooks/S1_03/S1_03_Back.jpg

And here the pics (click on them for a larger version)...

render_icon.jpg

wire_icon.jpg

skin_icon.jpg

Replies

• KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Her upper torso has a much higher poly density than the rest...
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    looks pretty cool overall
    great flow in the modelling except this higher density
    (did you let a long time between the two parts? would explain the difference of style smile.gif )
    Love the texture, very manga-like in the head.
    I'd have given more space to the body parts for the head, skin and hair are quite undetailed because of that manga style smile.gif
    Reducing head space and giving more to the body would have given you the possibility to add more personal designs, and perhaps more life to the cloth, she looks like just out of the shower with pretty new clothes.
    As a WIP, maybe you will work on this, I don't know

But like I said, I love it, she's very cute ^^
    GG
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    I guess it is intended, or what you could call 'style', but it looks extremly unbalanced; thin legs etc, but huge breasts.

But it doesn't look as bad in the concept... probably due to slightly smaller and differently shaped breasts. Oh and while we are on that topic, the showthrough nippels are sadly missing laugh.gif
  • steady
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    steady polycounter lvl 18
    that rocks very much, been tracking it in the wip thread since the beginning
    i wonder if shirow will ever see this himself? make more!
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!
    You're so right about the poly density of the torso blush.gif I'll fix that.

Could have planned the skin layout ove the 2 textures a bit better. I'll scale the head texture down to 512 because it won't lose any detail anyways.

I'll make the boobs a little bit smaller and will add some nipple laugh.gif
  • extanker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    extanker polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap that is awsome!! I guess I'm biased because I love Shirow art (that particular picture is on my desktop on a regular basis). This could quite possibly become a permanent player model for me smile.gif Can't wait to see it in action.

And nipples never hurt wink.gif
  • gauss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    gauss polycounter lvl 18
    i think it's looking pretty darn spot-on, ikraan, but the specular texture is going to be a must if you're really trying to get it to match with shirow's original work. all of that galhound stuff and most of his work in general these days appears completely coated in baby oil; it can't be a true galhound without that sheen smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks!

Will try to add that baby oil coating Gauss laugh.gif

Made the boobs a tiny bit smaller and lifted them up a little bit. Also removed a row of polys from the torso but it's still more densed then the lower body. I am leaving that the way it is for now though.

Updated the pics above but here some quick links to them...

skinned: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tetsuo/images/gally1.jpg
    wire: http://www.xs4all.nl/~tetsuo/images/gally_wire.jpg
  • JKMakowka
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JKMakowka polycounter lvl 18
    Nice... you almost completly fixed the unbalanced look, that actually improved the model a lot (small things you know laugh.gif )

Poly density is fine too, makeing it lower would make the b00bies look bad wink.gif
  • extanker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    extanker polycounter lvl 18
    Now that you caused me to put the picture back on as my wallpaper, I've noticed some things that kinda stood out to me. I don't know if it can be changed or not. The original just seems tighter around the 'important' areas, like the breasts are about to bust through tongue.gif Like how the shirt is pulled in between them and all the creases around where the material is strecthed. Also, the color of the shirt seems to have an almost rubbery texture to it. Just some thoughts, still love the model smile.gif
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    rarely do i see an anime model that i like. excellent job. simple, yet very effective.
  • FunkaDelicDass
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FunkaDelicDass polycounter lvl 18
    I really dig this model. Your texture style is really nice and controlled. I'm a big fan of shirow stuff, so this makes me happy. smile.gif
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Had a vacation and now that I am back I have started getting her running around UT2k4.
    I have never worked with bipeds only with bones and the skin modifier and I find physique a pain in the arse frown.gif
    I still have a lot of vertex assigning to do because there is some bad deformation and clipping going on.

Here some first screenies...
    Click on the image for a bigger version.

gallhound_wip7_i.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    red hair and green eyes are a very deadly combination
    especially if she's russian

i thought i commented on this before, great job dude.
    watch the hands next time, i think they're a little small eh
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Hm, the UT engine makes her look like a doll, the WIP shots looked much more human... Guess there's nothing you can do about that, great work anyways.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I am pretty much done with her...

If anybody would like to test drive her before I release it that would be great, because only 2 people have tested it so far.
    http://www.xs4all.nl/~tetsuo/wip/Gallhound%20v0.95.zip

I don't like how the elbow bends too much and sometimes the boobs get pushed down a little bit. Next time around I know how to avoind this.

wip2.jpg

I had never used the physique modifier but Poop's video tutorial on this was a great help.
    The following tutorial helped me a great deal getting the model from Max into UT. http://www.neomagination.com/unreal/tutorials/max2ut_01.html
  • stoofoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stoofoo polycounter lvl 18
    Damn, man. Really really nice.
  • diZzyWalnut
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    diZzyWalnut polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    If anybody would like to test drive her before I release it that would be great, because only 2 people have tested it so far......

[/ QUOTE ]

I've tested and I don't see any problems - well done.

Galhound_thumb.jpg

Great model cool.gif

I've found also this tutorial how to get the model from Max into UT.
    http://creativetechnology.salford.ac.uk/fuchs/modules/game_design/units/unit20.htm