Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Character: Estella

dom
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
dom polycounter lvl 18
The final design is either gonna be something sci-fi or some super hero thing. Have not really decided which. Crits on anatomy greatly appreciated. cool.gif

wip_est_04.jpg

Replies

• sumus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sumus polycounter lvl 18
    I Like it, especally the lips and nose are well done. The face seems a tad wide, but thats just my personal opinion.
  • Painreliever
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Painreliever polycounter lvl 18
    Looks pretty good, I think the lips and eyes are really close to the real thing and really bring out "estella" in the model. I do agree though that from cheek to cheek it seems a bit wide. Either that or the lower jaw/chin/mouth is out of proportion with the upper head. Nice work!
  • notman
  • Stringer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stringer polycounter lvl 18
    Or Veronica Zemanova ? smile.gif
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Nice work. She needs a thicker upper lip, and the area of her cheek between her eye and ear smoothed in some.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Doh! everyone else except estella warren! :P thanks for the crits, I've noted them down and i'm gonna tweak some more with those crits that you guys have mentioned.
  • Herr-Maestro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Herr-Maestro polycounter lvl 18
    Dom, you're going with a Asian Theme with her? Reason I ask is the eys do seem to have a asian type of charateristic charm. The Upper lip I'd bring down a 1/8 of a in.
  • jzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jzero polycounter lvl 18
    Her cheekbones are huge, HUGE. Like Devon Aoki huge. If she's supposed to be Asian that's okay, but I think her eyesockets need to be more shallow, if so. Nice model, though!

/jzero
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    I feel the jaw line needs to be stronger, the lips are pinched...too narrow. They need to be wider. The nose appears too narrow as well.
    Cheeks are indeed too puffy.

Getting there though! I could tell who you were shooting for, without looking at the name. It just needs some more tweaking.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Herr- she's supposed to be estella warren..so I'd say canadian.

jzero- ermm...estella warren.

scooby- fixed the lips and cheeks. check out the mov file.

I'm still trying to get that likeness. you'll see some iregularity in the mesh because im still moving a lot of volume, once i'm certain with her looks i'll go fix them.

Thanks for all the crits so far, i really appreciate them... and to prevent any further confusion, I've uploaded a pic of estella warren. smile.gif

http://www.dominicqwek.com/wip/wip_est_tt.mov

ref_est.jpg
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    camera perspective from images of her probably vary a lot. So i'm trying to get a sense of volume of her head using these photos and some footage of her and sort of assimilate all these references for a better idea of how she looks in 3d. I think I have enough references to set up a decent fansite for her. lol
  • ScoobyDoofus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScoobyDoofus polycounter lvl 19
    Ah! That mov helped tons!

Your depth on her upper lip inaccurate. Its too flat, not puffy enough. Push it out a bit. As it is, it looks like she has a hair-lip.
    Chin is too sharp and she has what appears to be a tiny subtle cleft on the TOP of her chin. Eyes are too small in generally, and specifically not "tall" enough. Eyebrows are too wide & too low.

I understand your probably working with a symmetry modifier, or instanced mirror, but her left eye (our view - right side) is smaller than her left. Its a "lazy eye".

Nose is too sharp still, nostrils not quite wide enough.
    Her teeth appear to be too low, making her look a little "horsey". Raise her gum/tooth line higher.

I know youve got lots, but I put together some refs for you, since I think this has so much great potential!
    e_warren_ref.jpg

Keep it up!
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeks are definately too poofy and the ear looks too small, jawline might to be be brough out but that also might just be the poofy cheeks making it look that way. Other than that it looks nice.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Honestly, unless you have The Perfect front+profile reference mug shots or exceptionally good control of anatomy and the smallest forms that make things look the way they are, I wouldnt try to push facial features the way you did with the lips. Its a trouble maker. Stick to more simple characteristics and push from there.. immitating an "abnormality" from a reference is very hard.

a good practice tho.

Ye in your model, I think the problem lies in the upper jaw row of teeth. It's showing through the lips pretty low, imo. Teeth should be hidden more behind the lips tissue, more up.

Lips don't come down to a corner, theres an obvious soft tissue hanging there that drops a shadow.

Keep working her, but too much will lose the
    point. keep going good job so far.
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Thanks for all the crits guys. Helped a lot. I'm taking breaks between tweaking her face and modeling the rest of the body. Yeah unless I have the perfect front and side references, it's kinda hard, so I'm just going to do my best. Here's a quick update.

wip_est_06.jpg
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cool, that looks very nice man.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Looking good Dom.
    I have a feeling that her hips are a lot wider then that in real life, and that her breasts are probably a bit bigger. Her shoulders seem pretty big right now, I'd try to bring them in a bit. I'd also soften the collar bone.
  • _Shimmer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    _Shimmer polycounter lvl 18
    this is coming along niceley, though i think estelle warren is one of thise girls who are hard to fit, till se looks sexy tranported to polygons smile.gif . I trust in you skill dom smile.gif im curious how she will look like.

And hi kolby, finally your here, i followed you work awhile now smile.gif
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    guys i just realised i was using 1280x960 instead 1280x1024 resolution. I was fiddling with some resolutions and I guess I forgot to correct it. I feel like an idiot!! no wonder so many people are complaining about how wide she is. DOH!!

*slams head on keyboard.
  • KDR_11k
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KDR_11k polycounter lvl 18
    Do you have a 5:4 LCD or what?
  • KMan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KMan polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah. I've got mine running at 1280x960. Just like to keep it at a 4:3 ratio.

btw- I like those collar bones. laugh.gif
  • dom
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dom polycounter lvl 18
    Been busy with a CG Academy modeling dvd so not much updates...:
    http://www.cg-academy.net/pages/topic_mo...g_advanced1.htm

Anyway, here's a quickie:

wip_est_08.jpg
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    Congrats on the modeling DVD, my coworker Arshlevon just bought it and was watching it. I think he really is enjoying it.

Good job on Estella. She is looking very natural (for a super model anyway). Can't wait to see her finished and textured.