Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Midnight Cowboy - High Poly WIP

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Gav quad damage
Hey guys and gals,

Here is a new character that I am working on for my new demo reel. I'm picking away at him when I'm not at work, so the progress is a tad slow...but it's getting there!

I'm kind of going for a more stylized approach for him. He is heavily inspired by a Brom painting titled "Gunsligner."

I'd really appreciate any comments on my modeling or design in general. This a very talented community and I you guys can definitely help me out.

Cowboy WIP

Cowboy Wires

Replies

• Sett
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sett polycounter lvl 18
    Please post a link to ref.

I like it, nice face, lots of charater in it.

The paints look odd -the ribbing- is he futuristic GF?
    The bullets on the belt are very small.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey Hey Sett,

Here is the image that this is inspired from, painted by Brom:
    Gunslinger

I'm going for something a little less corpse like, but still a bit dark. Not like Clint Eastwood at all. I wouldn't really call it futuristic, I'm actually not sure what category it would fall under.

I'm planning on adding a bunch of straps and detail to his legs for the holsters and whatnot, I hope that will take away from the oddness of the poofy pants. I definitely want them to be ribbed, but if they look too trange, I'll fix em up.

I'll fix the bullets for the next update smile.gif

Thanks for the comments man, keep em coming!
    Gav
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey all,

I've updated the pants, they are now less like Hammer pants laugh.gif
    I've also added a new belt buckle and changed the bullet size. Still looking for comments and/or crits, let me know what you think!

Gav
  • animatr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    animatr polycounter lvl 18
    Im a fan of this, I like it a lot. Keep up the excellent work!
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    nice job so far! i like the face, even tho i'm noticing some anatomy issues? maybe? maybe it's that the eyes are too small--?? hard to say.

i appreacieate that you're going somewhere new with the pants, but i'm not sure that i like em.. that's personal tho.

keep it up man smile.gif
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey hey, thanks a bunch guys, I really appreciate the comments.

I think the pants just aren't your typical type of clothing for a cowboy character, it is definitely different, hehe. There may be some anatomy issues regarding the eyes, Once the rest of the model is complete, I'll actually be going back to the face for an assymetry pass...I could touch up the eyes then and see if it helps smile.gif

Anyone have some cool ideas for the hat band? I'm thinking that If I go through the trouble to model out belt buckles and stuff, I could give him somethign groovy for his hat. Maybe something indian like?

Thanks again guys, I'll post an update later today.

Gav
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey all,

I've updated the belt and added the right holster, let me know what you think!
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    -=Warhead=- polycounter lvl 18
    Well, I dunno.. Imagine this.. when you get his arms on.. how big are they going to be
    how is he going to put the weapon in there, I say go with
    the arms first and then put theholster on.. but thats just me laugh.gif

but the belts perfect wink.gif
  • palm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    palm polycounter lvl 18
    Great so far. Are you gonna normalmap this sucker when its done?
    Reminds me of the Black Tower books by Stephen King. Kinda the way I pictured the gunslinger.

Cheers
    /Palm
  • StrangeFate
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StrangeFate polycounter lvl 18
  • Kevin Johnstone
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kevin Johnstone polycounter lvl 19
    The face reminds me a little of the Patron Saint of Killers in the Preacher series... which is a good thing smile.gif

r.
  • Jerome
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerome polycounter lvl 18
    imo, i dont like the pants or the belts. The belts look like they'd break easily and the bullets semm way too small.
    As for the pants, I've never seen pants like that, are they courdaroy:)? They seem too poofy. but i like the top half
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey Guys, thanks for your comments.

Jerome: Hehe, not cords...I was thinking more like ribbed leather. Kind of like what you see on some motorcycle jackets. Can you think of a way to make the belts look stronger? I almost want to give him all of his equipment is scraps from...victims or something. But I don't want it to seem like it's hanging on by a thread.

Rorshach: Thanks man!

StrangeFate: Thanks smile.gif

Palm: I'm actually thinking about normal mapping a version of his face onto the current one that includes scaring and some wrinkles around his eyes...i'm debating it, but strongly considering it.

Warhead: Thanks for the comments man! I've actually been using a primitve cylinder for a guide to measure the arm and make sure that the gun is int he right position....if i mess it up however, I'll owe you a beer.

Here's an update, let me know what you think!

Wireframe
  • iMag
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    iMag polycounter lvl 18
    looking good. liking the pants and all. btw nice to see another face from xsibase here smile.gif
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey there iMag, yeah good to see others from the base. You're aso from Vancouver too....weird. smile.gif

Okay, an update for the boots. I'm thinking of adding a second shin guard to one of the legs for some assymetry. Any ideas how to spruce him up a bit? opinions? crits? comments?
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    hi Gavimage, awesome stuff dude ! Could you plz post some wire without the meshsmooth on it? just to see how you manage that smile.gif I would be very interesting !
  • Daz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Daz polycounter lvl 18
    ack, angle those feet out ever so slightly. He looks like a Japanese schoolgirl like that. Otherwise, looking good! smile.gif Perhaps his legs feel short for the length of his torso?
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Renaud: Thanks man, I really appreciate it! I'm posting some wires now, let me know what you think smile.gif

Daz: Hey dude, thanks for the crit. I've now angled his feet in.

wires
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Feet look a little to small for those big old thighs laugh.gif
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    Nice to see some new stuff from you Gav.
    his thighs look a bit too thick to me, his feet are a bit small, and it's hard to get a sense of where his knee sits. The torso could use a bit more shape, right now it's pretty flat from arm pit to pelvis. You should try using zbrush, it would make cloth modeling a lot faster and fun.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey hey guys, thanks a bunch for the comments!

Kol: Do you think the hips could just seem much larger because his shoulders aren't in place yet? I'll work on the areas you suggested smile.gif

I've been meaning to try out ZB, can't believe I haven't yet. I have one project in mind that will definitely need it.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Touched up the hips and feet, also brough the mid section in just a little. What do you guys think?
  • hawken
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    hawken polycounter lvl 19
    [ QUOTE ]
    The face reminds me a little of the Patron Saint of Killers in the Preacher series... which is a good thing smile.gif

r.

[/ QUOTE ]

frank quietly was my favorite comic book artist (before he found photoshop.)
    Truely great that series. Someone should model his awsome gun.
  • kolbyjukes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kolbyjukes polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Kol: Do you think the hips could just seem much larger because his shoulders aren't in place yet? I'll work on the areas you suggested smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

it's not his hips i thought were too large, his hips are actually quite narrow, I said that his thighs looked way too large, and no, I don't think it's the lack of shoulders that casuing me to think that way. Part of the reason they look so thick is cause his calves are so thin against the baggy pants.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    I've added a bunch of things, mainly the coat. His coat will ultimatly be tucked behind his holsters or off to the side. His coat will also be quite torn up, going to do that bit with transparency. Much like in the Gunslinger reference.

I was looking at some Preacher things online, looks like a pretty interesting series smile.gif

His arms are a bit too long, kind of got a stretch armstrong thing going on....i'll be fixing that very soon (first thing tomorrow morning before work)...let me know what you guys think!

Gav
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Here's an update, shortened the arms just a bit. Let me know what you think,

cowboy_wip9.jpg

Gav
  • -=Warhead=-
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Very excellent!,
    But if anyone else notices this..
    The bottom part of the jacket looks a little, actually way to fat for me.
    It sticks out to much,
    Other then that its really topknotch man, Very excellent job
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Hey dude! thanks for the comments man. Yep, the jacket is kind of fat on purpose, it's like that now to make texturing less painful for me, hehe...after that i'm going to tuck it behind his holsters (or at least behind him or to the side) to make him look less..."robust" grin.gif
  • poopinmymouth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    poopinmymouth polycounter lvl 19
    any chance we could see him with the coat transparent, or the bottom part hidden? Lookin good, but the wrinkles on his arms aren't all that realistic. Can't wait to see this finished.
  • Gav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    hey poop!

Here you go, a quick link with no bottom part of the duster: No Bottom

I'm going to touch up the arm right away smile.gif
    Gav