Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment : House on a hill

ryanH
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
ryanH polycounter lvl 18
whole_s.jpg

created this over the weekend for fun. just wanted to create something that didnt use photo textures. which required me to paint, and i realized i need some practice. anyway tell me what you think..here are the rest of the images and textures

http://www.ryanhastings.net/sp.html

thanks for checking it out.

ryan

Replies

• cochtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cochtl polycounter lvl 18
    Holy Painted Goodness Batman!!! This is AWESOME!!!

I can't tell if the BG is a 2d matte image or a texture with an alpha for the clouds and moon....nice
  • ElysiumGX
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ElysiumGX polycounter lvl 18
    Ooooooo...pretty. Me likes.

The style fits well with the lighting. Painting instead of pasting photos was a good decision.
  • sinistergfx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sinistergfx polycounter lvl 18
    Just have to say again, it looks great.

Good to see some environments here, especially ones as original as this.

Now make some more! Welcome to Polycount.
  • notman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    notman polycounter lvl 18
    I really like this. The only thing that bothers me is how much light there is from the door. It looks as if there is a light next to the door that is illuminating the doorway and the staircase, but there's only a small window on the door. The lantern doesn't appear to be the item lighting the door either.
  • lkraan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lkraan polycounter lvl 18
    Woa! That's cool! Love the style!
    The lighting really finishes it off.
  • KdS
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    KdS polycounter lvl 18
    You could'nt say a better "hello I'm new here and pleased to be" than that...

I love the style too, grass is great and lightining renders soooooooo good smile.gif

more more more !!
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Great first post ryanH. Love that the background is real painterly. Maybe the bottom on the sky could use a black gradient though. The cables connecting on the house are pure genius. The brick texture is real nice, it's not overpowering with every brick painted, but it's just enough. This reminds me of Sly Cooper a lot. Now go post more work.
  • rooster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rooster mod
    awesome style, reminds me of good and evil- and I love being reminded of good and evil!

edit i mean beyond good and evil of course..
  • cholden
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cholden polycounter lvl 18
    Great work, almost looks more like a painting than a 3d scene. Reminds me a lot of the stuff I've done on ps2, but you got to use a lot more polygons. smile.gif
    Speaking of which, what's the scene's polycount?
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    I dig the handcrafted textures. It reminds of the artwork in world of warcraft. Nice one this is.
  • JordanW
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanW polycounter lvl 19
    Hey ryan, dunno if you want any crits or not, but i'll give some suggestions anyways :P The lighting outside could be a little brighter, it would be nice to see some of the detail on the grass and fence by turned up light from the moon a bit. It's hard to tell what that thing is on the closest corner of the house. I'm also not really sure about the wires coming off the side of the house, they seem kind of odd, and unnecissery. They kinda take away from the solitude of the house being in the hill by itself.

I do like the colors in this, specifically i like the green texture on the walls of the house. The background is also very nice, I like the style in which it was painted.
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    very proffesional work. What did you this for?
  • moose
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    sweet. its great to see stuff like this smile.gif

reminds me of nitzmoff's stuff (which is good!)
  • MoP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MoP polycounter lvl 18
    Yeah, I thought the exact same thing, Moose. Very cool style.
    I agree with tinman about the wires coming from the side of the house...

Also the background clouds/moon don't seem quite as "refined" as the other painted textures.

Great work though, looks really cool.
  • ryanH
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ryanH polycounter lvl 18
    thanks everyone for the replies.

cochtl - thanks, its a matte image

ElysiumGX - yeah i have to work with photo textures everyday, it was a nice break

sinistergfx - thanks dude, you better post something up soon!

notman - you are right, i first decided i was going to put a fixture in the doorway to motivate the light, but i ended up just forgetting to do it, then when i realized it, i was like...eh.

lkraan, KdS - thanks

jeffro - thanks dude, i was shooting for a Sly 2 look with this. wanted it to look painted not just with texture but with light.

rooster - thanks

cholden - thanks dude. 2700 tris, i have to admit i didnt even know, i had to check when i got home from work.

nkoste - thanks

tinman - thanks for the crit, the lighting was tricky i tried to view it on different monitors while i was making it, just to find a happy medium cause i didnt want any black, just moon glow all over and then of course the super bright focal point. i can certainly play with it somemore. The wires were a last minute addition, i kinda like them, but i guess there are some who dont. maybe i will render another without them. i see your point with the solitude thing.

shotgun - i just did it for fun over the weekend. had some inspiration so i thought i better use it. it was made for nothing in particular.

moose - thanks. if you could send me a link to nitzmoff's stuff i would like to check it out. i havent heard of him.

MoP - the sky background was the first thing i painted for this scene, i agree, i probably should have come back to it again at the end and given it more polish. thanks for the comments.

whew..thanks again everyone.

ryan
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    Well good stuff man, I had a look at your website.
    You have very good lighting skills and I like your sense of design.
    If you are not working someplace (your resume empty?!) your place is in the industry becoming better artist. Cause I think you have a long way to go (in the good sense!)

keep going.. and post more often here, it's good stuff.
  • `kungfubilly
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    `kungfubilly polycounter lvl 18
    RYAN!!! Wow that's just chock full of vitamin awesome....always good to see new stuff from you (curse you and your talent! rar!)
  • Phobos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Phobos polycounter lvl 18
    wow. Love the style. Great textures, the warm and cool colours in the scene really help shape it.

Amazing results all around.
  • nitzmoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nitzmoff polycounter lvl 18
    Of course I'm diggin on this one, nice job. You make me want to give this stuff another go sometime... but the industry, she hurts my brain. smile.gif

Keep up the swell work man.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    Actually Ryan works at n-space doing the levels for Geist. He needs to post some sketchs cause he got some great stuff.
  • John Warner
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John Warner polycounter lvl 18
    this is fuckin. great. awesome job. very good.
  • ScreaminBubba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ScreaminBubba polycounter lvl 18
    Hello from a neighbor. (Huntsville) Excellent work, very stylized, defintely reminiscent of Warcraft style, which I love, and hand-painted to boot. I remember seeing some of your sketches on the NA3D forums also, nice stuff.

Keep up the good work.
  • cheybea
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cheybea polycounter lvl 18
    Ryan, when I grow up, I want to model environments just like you.
    It's so swell.
    smile.gif