Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

First Post: Character Model

teron
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
teron polycounter lvl 18
I've been hanging around polycount for a while, and I finally think I'm ready to post. I started on this head this morning, it seems to be coming along nicely, but I think it's time for some more opinions.
Be as harsh as you want, I really want to refine my more glaring errors. At this point I have "studied" quite a bit, but in reality I know nothing, so anything that gets pointed out will help.

16ig.jpg

26tv.jpg

34na.jpg

The ears are not attached and I'm really not sure how I might go about doing that. Also I'm really not sure how to begin with the hair as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to this level of detail. So any help on those issues would be appreciated.

Replies

• EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    are you modeling from photo reference? i've never seen anyone who has a lower lip like that... I would smooth out the chin a little theres a pretty harsh angle there, your loops in some ears seem good but off in other areas but mostly good so far. Mesh is a little dense but that depends on what its for.
  • King-Vitaman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    King-Vitaman polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like you have alot of edge-loops that dont really define any shape, especially in the nose. I would recommend working in flatshaded mode to begin with because that lets you see what shapes are actually being created by the polies you are placing. The ears are too small and not shaped much like realistic ears, while the rest of the face seems to be striving for realism. For how many polies and how much smoothness there is in the face, the back and top of the head is far too sparse and jagged, pay close attention to the silhouette, it is extremely important and even more so now that normal-mapping has become common. His eyes are not sunken into his head at all, pull the verts just above the eyelids back a bit, as well as the ones below the lower-eyelids. Think about how the skin would lay on his skull in certain areas that do not contain much fat, such as the jaw, the brow and the top part of the cheek-bone. Alot of places where there should be more detail in the face, you have set aside the extra polies needed, such as the top of the nose where it connects to the forehead, but then you just left them sitting there rather than doing their job and actually defining anything. (I am trying to remember a quote by hemingway that would fit here but I cannot recall nor find it, but it is something about finding the 1 true word or phrase, rather than making a clutterous sentence full of big words that doesnt really say anything.) The area where the ear sits should not have so many faces associated with only 1 vertex, this causes shading errors, A single vertex should not be a part of more than 5 edges if it can be avoided. This concept will also help with good flow.

Great start though, how long have you been modelling? What, if anything, do you have in mind for this head? <font color="#666666"> </font>