Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Well, its due tommorow....

MAUL0r
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
My level is as far along as it's going to be for now, I wasn't able to get fog working in the skybox so there's some nasty seams... but it's come a long way since the last time i posted here...

levelshot_thumb.jpg
so there she is... ill post a link with the downloadable version of it for those who wanna take a closer look...

bare in mind its my first complete level ever, but C&C is welcome...

P.S. there's so many other things i wanted to do but couldnt... plants, skybox tweaks, etc... but lets just call this done and move on to my second level that should be better laid out.

Replies

• MAUL0r
  • Showster
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Showster polycounter lvl 18
    For your first level ever its pretty cool bud.

The textures you've made fit the western scene I think where it fails to deliver is the composition / overall look.

Heres a couple of things that springs to mind.

The level lighting seems neither here or there, for the general ambience the level seems quite greyish which matches the skybox although I dunno if it matches the western theme. Also the indoor lighting doesn't seem to differ from the outdoor.

(heres something I was playing with, its quake 3 mind)

http://dynamic5.gamespy.com/~sos/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4966

The indoor shot seems quite bland, the tables have decor but the room itself has little trim, perhaps a brick texture with some wooden plains could have worked nice.

Floor / Terrain textures perhaps alter the tiling and blend in some more textures here and there (I have same problem in my shot hehe)

Skybox as you already said needs tweaks smile.gif

Can't comment on gameplay because I haven't tested it yet!

But on the whole I think its a great attempt! I'm sure you'll get some decent points for it!

Keep pluggin

Show
  • CheeseOnToast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CheeseOnToast greentooth
    Yup, the lighting is the thing that would make the most impact with the least rework,in my opinion. I know you said you're out of time, but it's worth spending an hour on it if possible. You could completely transform the overall look very quickly. The effect you have now, as Showster said, is very overcast. Not really the atmosphere I think of as being "western". The sunset he showed, or a sunrise, would be much more dramatic I think.
  • MAUL0r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MAUL0r polycounter lvl 18
    you guys are both right about the lighting... the hard part for me has been my graphics card, which over contrasts everything while inside the editor... if you were to up the contrast and lower the brightness by 15 while viewing those pictures you'd have a pretty accurate view of how i've been looking at the map. That means alot of my lighting work had to be done from school to make it look right...

but thats valuable input u guys, i might take a crack at reworking the lighting before I hang it up for good.