Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

ms3d tutorial in progress

polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
nkoste polycounter lvl 18
I'm trying to prototype a model in mikshape using only primitives while doing a tutorial on it. Here's what I've got so far.
I build the model from custom shapes and then plan to connect them later by closing the gaps. My main motivation for doing is trying to work around ms3d major downside: modeling speed.
I'm trying to learn how to use wings3d, but find it kinda hard. My head's currently not into learning new programs. confused.gif
I've set it to an intermediate/advanced level so I won't explain the basics of ms3d modeling also I've never done any tutorial writing so I would appreciate some tips. blush.gif

Stages 1&2:

method_alpha.jpg
method_beta.gif

tutorial artwork:

sphere.gif
sphere_head.gif
cylinder_thigh.gif
cylinder_thigh2.gif

Replies

• NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    I generally start from a cube and do alot of extruding, turning edges, spliting vertices and adding polygons by means of adding a vertice outside object and using the connect vertices tool.

This is blasphemy, since people either love or hate Milkshape, but I find the quadranal polygon work flow in Maya is similiar to Milkshape.....however the Split Polygon tool is much faster and makes workflow easier.

You may want to check out Maya.

If you still insist on using MilkShape, buy the 1st modeling book by Paul Steed. Any Edit Mesh techniques that Max has can be applied to MilkShape.......But you should be interested in Poly Mesh techniques, which MilkShape does not support.
  • Mooseboy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mooseboy polycounter lvl 18
    People who hate Milkshape are trying to use it for something it wasn't designed to do. Milkshape has an impressive set of conversion tools. It wasn't until recently that other modelling tools arrived that had rich feature sets and were affordable to mere mortals. (warez don't count)

I agree with NoSeRider about the similarity between Maya PLE and Milkshape. Split polygon is great because it allows you to create an n-gon as a placeholder and then come back to clean it up later.
  • Irritant
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Irritant polycounter lvl 18
    I have two problems with Milkshape -

1) When you import an md2 or md3, it doesn't bring in any frames.

2) Whenever I use "create polygon" it tells me that I need to select 3 vertices, even though indeed I have selected 3 verts.

Otherwise, though, it's a pretty decent program, and easy to use. It's a bit slow going for poly by poly work.
  • nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    more documentation:
    head_finish.gif

I made some alterations to equip the model with the ut2k3 alien_male and it turned out ok. I need to redo some areas, like the feet, but other than I still need to spend more polygons as Im well withon a reasonable UT budget. 1761 triangles so far.

PS: the hair, which has a green material, is from the original UT Alien_Male.

UT2K4_droid.gif

About the tutorial stuff... I think I'm going to document the proces in pictures, make a visual presentation on how I made the model and not an actual step by step tutorial. I think I'd be shooting myself in the foot, because there are better tools out there and not many people would ever use it. Most people seem to use ms3d for file conversions.

I guess I'm a bit old-fashioned for sticking with this program. blush.gif
  • NuclearTes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NuclearTes polycounter lvl 18
    I think Milkshape is a good program if you want to make low poly game characters. It also has a very easy to learn interface, which is great for newbies.

[ QUOTE ]
    When you import an md2 or md3, it doesn't bring in any frames.

[/ QUOTE ]

You can import all the frames one by one if you really want to, because you can tell Milkshape which frame it has to import. You won't be able to import the skeleton though, because the MD2 and MD3 format don't use skeletal animation, but vertex animation.

[ QUOTE ]
    Whenever I use "create polygon" it tells me that I need to select 3 vertices, even though indeed I have selected 3 verts.

[/ QUOTE ]
    If you want to create a polygon in Milkshape, you have to click on the option "create polygon" first and then click on the three vertices (one after another).
  • Noisybast
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noisybast polycounter lvl 18
    I really like MS3D as a low-poly modelling app, but I'm also well aware that it's never going to carry much credibility on a wannabe 3D artist's CV.

I'm just getting started with learning 3DS MAX (and finding it more than a little confusing) - would I be better off switching to Maya?
  • NoSeRider
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NoSeRider polycounter lvl 18
    Basically, I'm choosing Maya due to the market place.

In San Diego all of the Major Game Studios are using Maya. Southern California has about a 50/50 ratio of games studios using Maya/Max....and the ratio is higher for film.

Back east the ratio for using Max is higher.

I can only tell you that I find the work flow in Maya similiar to MilkShape.....