Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Infection (caution: a little gory)

johnwoo
polycounter lvl 18
Offline / Send Message
johnwoo polycounter lvl 18
Hi all..this is what I am currently working on at the moment...still W.I.P..I intend to also rig, weight and possibly do a couple of anims...bring this character to life a little... grin.gif

p.s. I'll try an update this as regularly as I can...cheers
infectedwip014ob.jpg
infectedwip022ko.jpg

Replies

• nkoste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nkoste polycounter lvl 18
    Wow very inspiring!! This looks great! I'm curious about the split legpose - is this to avoid deformation in the animations? Also if you feel you want to share, I understand if you don't, some tips or method for doing gory, undead flesh? I've never done zombie projects, but I definately want to. That and I'm a huge fan of The Thing.
    I'm particularly fond of the tentacle twisting beneath the skin of the right arm and continuing all the way to his brain. Well done.

Suberb job, can't wait to see more of the creepy stuff. wink.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Reminds me of 'the Many' from System Shock 2...
    Sweeeeeet work. Love the hair.
  • Captain_G
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Captain_G polycounter lvl 18
    Well done man! I like how the mutated hand looks like it mutated from a regular humanoid hand (the little spike looks like it used to be the thumb). If you add a specular levels mapping, I'd like to suggest that you make the bloody areas catch more light to give a liquidy effect, since it looks like he's still bleeding.
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Looks like something from resident evil or silent hill. I real love the texture on it looks great.
  • Neo_God
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neo_God polycounter lvl 18
    [ QUOTE ]
    Reminds me of 'the Many' from System Shock 2...
    Sweeeeeet work. Love the hair.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah It does look the zombie-like things from SS2, but with more detail of course.

I really like this, I wouldn't minde some flats and an uplclose pic of the head though. The hair does add a nice little effect to it.
    Great stuff! Keeping things nice and bloody!
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the comments guys....thought I should post this, this was the initial mesh modelled from another character artist I work with, since I thought he'd make a good twisted zombie character...from this stage I got the feedback which was "f'ckin hell!!...excellent" wink.gif..so I knew at that point I had the likeness locked down...

wip011da.jpg

should have a big update soon...cheers all.. grin.gif
  • Josh_Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Josh_Singh polycounter lvl 18
    are you making a surival horror game? the last guy you posted and this guy are straight out of raccoon city! Great stuff. Will Smith indeed!
  • IceWolve
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IceWolve polycounter lvl 18
    Judging from his avatar he likes the resident evil serious wink.gif.. looking good so far keeit up.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hi all...

another update...

nkoste: yep..that is the very same reason I got the mesh modelled in this pose, it's that it helps me with deformation, especially if it's going to have an athletic
    set of anims..

Captain_G: Thanks man..well observed with the comment on the mutated limb..that is indeed his thumb, if 1 person noticed...then I succeeded.. laugh.gif

Gmanx, Neo_God: I never played SS2..if it looks like "the many"..what can I say coincidental I guess...besides there is more to this character that meets the eye... smirk.gif

Ghost_rider,Icewolve: Nah..not making a survival horror title...would absolutely love too...maybe I'll pitch an idea to the CEO's..see the response I get? Oh yeah..Resident Evil f'ckin rocks grin.gif

infectedwip043uw.jpg
    infectedwip057zg.jpg
    infectedwip066ty.jpg

more updates as regularly as I can...
  • nealb4me
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me polycounter lvl 18
    He can give me a back massage anytime. Very nice work so far, my only suggestion would be to darken the pants a little. It's a bit close to the skin colour at the moment imo.
  • dabu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dabu polycounter lvl 18
    please post your textures, if you're allowed. I would love to see how you painted this guy. I think the color is working really well. I feel like the top of the pants waist could be a little torn/shredded up, seeing as how his shirt is almost completely gone, and seeing as they're jeans. Merely a suggestion, I think it looks great overall.
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    nealb4me: I think that's exactly what I'll do...makes sense I reckon, especially if it adds a bit more contrast to the overall look..

dabu: Thanks for your comments..they are appreciated...Did'nt occur to me to shred/tear the top of his jeans, next update that'll be done grin.gif..btw..I'll post textures when I'm totally happy with them, but not as yet, since I still need to work on them (tweaking)..but when they are done I will post them...honest... wink.gif
  • Wings3dee
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings3dee polycounter lvl 18
    This ones got an Unorthadox Pose, but I like the damage on the body parts and the decomposing effect. This model would be perfect for the mod I'm involved in for Half-Life 2.

I'm one of the writers @ http://theyarecoming.ritech.net
    Its a Zombie Mod...
  • Cubik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cubik polycounter lvl 18
    Dirty and nasty, I love it! But what is the thing on his left hand? Too blunt to be a blade and it got a weird texture...
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wings: Cheers...but this character is for the fun, and practice only..it is to sharpen up my skills and to learn new ones...but all the same thanks... smile.gif

Cubik: glad you like the dirty 'n' nasty feel, cos' that's exactly what I was going for...something a bit more gritty and mature...and the "thing" on his left arm is the infection which as taken host to his limb which originated from his torso (pectoral area), it's actually a dangerous tentacle as a result of the infection... grin.gif

Ok...this is rigged now(minor tweaks abound) and these images were taken from the test anim I did to put the rig through it's paces...I'm chuffed with it...I'll work on the spec map to finish it all off, and then...... grin.gif

infectedwip079eb.jpg
    infectedwip086ia.jpg
    infectedwip094lk.jpg
    infectedwip100mu.jpg
    infectedwip114qz.jpg
  • shotgun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shotgun polycounter lvl 19
    hahhaa
    awesome
  • Renaud Galand
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    Rockin' dude !! smile.gif Escape from ravenholm? laugh.gif (HL²)

Awesome stuff.
  • usagi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    usagi polycounter lvl 18
    yes! i thought this needed a little something extra to really push the desgin, and those tentacles coming out of his face are perfect. i like how he still has a thumb on the other hand too
  • Sean McBride
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sean McBride polycounter lvl 18
    Holy crap! Thats one fantastic peice you've got there. Can we see some flats? All of the texture looks extreamly well done. I've always had a problem pulling off massive scaring and gore. Its just not my thing. Mind sharing a quick run over your meathods? smile.gif
  • Steakhouse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steakhouse polycounter lvl 18
    Wow this guy is really going places! I'm really hoping those face tenticals are retractable. It would be great to have them retract, that way they'll be able to poke out and make short stiff wiggling motions, like a dog's nose sniffing the air. Or just has good, to have them come bursting out of their holes, flailing about, slapping the guy about the face and shoulders as it releases a gutteral howl.

All in all it's looking damn good as it is, just take it that extra 10%!
  • swampbug
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    swampbug polycounter lvl 18
    Awesome... nice alphas all over the place for different uses. I think you need to present this guy with better lighting to help the mood. Then it will surely rock more. smile.gif
  • Volkov
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Volkov polycounter lvl 18
    He looks absolutely fantastic. What's the back story behind this character, is it a l
  • johnwoo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    grin.gif..many thanks for the comments guys...appreciated...

n30: I'll post flats when I'm happy with 'em...there's a couple of tweaks still...but mainly it's all done... smile.gif
    Steakhouse: cheers!...yep..the tentacles do retract back inside his head..it's all rigged and weighted..those images were taken from the test anim I did before I posted 'em... grin.gif

Swampbug: Yep you're right..I think so too..better lighting will surely enhance the image..lemme work on it.. smile.gif

Volkov:..Cheers man!...no back story to the character..it's all for pushing my skills and also for the fun/enjoyment factor.. grin.gif

again....cheers guys.... smile.gif
  • Gmanx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    This thing's looking fantastic, and the tentacles were a nice surprise. I mentioned 'the many' from SS2 only as a measure of kewlness, (and my own semi-obsessive fondness for it), and not at all to suggest that this is in any way a derivative work. Sorry if my comment was read that way. Please put this guy in a lit setting to show off any specular touches and post an animation movie.......I guarantee I'll shit my pants wink.gif)
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    John: thats some seriously wicked awesome work there man.
  • Rwolf
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rwolf polycounter lvl 18
    Rock Star!
    I dunno why that came into mind, too much gene simmons? (I have a feeling I spelt that wrong)